General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (2 Viewers)

soozy

HSC
hahahah btw papa was back! :p hahaha and for the creative they gave us 5 pictures and told us to choose one and write about it.
HAHAH yeahh i saw Papa and i was like "fuck not this shit again."
that poem was not even worth reading as they gave us the part they wanted us to answer on the question page.
comprehension was good, absolutely love the fact that they only gave us 4 texts not 6.
creative was very general in terms of "time"
basically wrote about childhood in like 20 minutes.
BUT THAT ESSAY QUESTION.
had a mind blank. FIRST TIME I EVER HAD TO MAKE UP A FRESH ESSAY ON THE SPOT
was not expecting anything to do with the characterisation of the protagonist in relation to belonging at all.
barely finished the conclusion. hoping my comprehension and creative gets well into the B+ range to compensate for the shitty essay.
pretty sure that was the hardest Paper 1 ever.

but yeah to whoever complained about it being a 2 hour exam.
I dont mind if our english papers are 6hours all up.
each paper should be 3 hours. not 2.
who can write anything decent in 40 mins on the spot.
clearly none of us as everyone memorises.

SO GLAD THATS DONE. hope paper 2 isnt as much of a bitch as this was.

soozy

HSC
They based it on a 2010 paper but added the 'change in time'
HSC paper is based on past hsc paper two years ago.
2012-> 2010
that would've been helpful. BEFORE the exam.
totally revising 2010 paper 2 now.

summerxo

HSC
Hey guys, I'm planning on writing an e-mail or letter to the Board of Studies to ask them to reconsider the 2 hours for English. It's just too short. I barely managed to finish and so did many in my grade and from reading this thread I can see others agree. Where should a send the e-mail or letter to? I can't find an e-mail. :(
Yeah but then the following year 12's will just get it easier than us. It won't really benefit us..

wavess

HSC
Don't know if asked already, but what did people write for section I part a) the book cover?
That was a bit confusing

poonslayer69

HSC
That was a pretty easy exam really...

Wrote 5 pages for the comprehension
12 for the creative
26 for the essay

Still had 5 mins at the end...just hope they don't loose my booklets!!
Obviously you didn't because you sound like a dropkick, it's "lose" not "loose"...gronk.

deswa1

HSC
Don't know if asked already, but what did people write for section I part a) the book cover?
That was a bit confusing
Sense of familial belonging is established- the windows (refers to a house), inclusive langauge in the sisters playing "side by side" etc.
BUT, a sense of belonging can change in time- "inseperable bonds" broken or whatever, the splitting of the page horizontally and stuff

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Sense of familial belonging is established- the windows (refers to a house), inclusive langauge in the sisters playing "side by side" etc.
BUT, a sense of belonging can change in time- "inseperable bonds" broken or whatever, the splitting of the page horizontally and stuff
Oh wow I totally forgot about the words on the book cover LOL.

I talked about how there was a montage of photographs on the cover that symbolised familial experiences and interactions. By immortalising these experiences into images, the book cover reinforces the positive aspects that arise from a strong sense of belonging (more sophisticated than that, but the same idea). I also mentioned how the warm colour imagery of red, yellow, and orange created an atmosphere of peace that reconciled the sense of connection instilled by the pictures. The combination of red and yellow to create orange became a symbol of connection and interaction, and therefore, a strong sense of bonding emanated from the book cover.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
haha, so did i man! but i only got 25 on creative :S
I only got 20 for creative -_-

I honestly hope that the 50 mins I spent on the essay gave me at least 14-15, because then it would be a total waste.
The comprehension questions were difficult to decipher, in that I got the storyplot, just couldn't justify belonging through literary techniques.
And I totally messed up creative. I'm lucky to get a 2. I wrote 2 booklets, and it sounds like a Year 10's writing a story, not a Year 12 student.

Can I just ask and don't judge me for not knowing, but where is time in our syllabus?
I got interactions, I got perception but I just don't understand how 'the passage of time' correlates to belonging?
Could someone just explain it to me, because I practiced my essays according to the syllabus and that's why I was unprepared for time.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I only got 20 for creative -_-

I honestly hope that the 50 mins I spent on the essay gave me at least 14-15, because then it would be a total waste.
The comprehension questions were difficult to decipher, in that I got the storyplot, just couldn't justify belonging through literary techniques.
And I totally messed up creative. I'm lucky to get a 2. I wrote 2 booklets, and it sounds like a Year 10's writing a story, not a Year 12 student.

Can I just ask and don't judge me for not knowing, but where is time in our syllabus?
I got interactions, I got perception but I just don't understand how 'the passage of time' correlates to belonging?
Could someone just explain it to me, because I practiced my essays according to the syllabus and that's why I was unprepared for time.

Me too, I didn't really get the whole time thing.

rsagar

HSC
Uni Grad
Would you reckon 1 and a half pages for creative writing would suffice.
3 pages for Sect. 1 and 4 pages for Sect. 3 ???

Aiming for approx. 38/45

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad

Aiming for approx. 38/45
quality > quantity.

mdunn94

HSC

Aiming for approx. 38/45
Unless you paid Roald Dahl to pre-write your creative piece then 1 1/2 pages for creative writing does not really suffice. Saying that, if you got 15/15 for your other two sections then you would only need an 8/15 for the creative to reach your 'aim' ....

mdunn94

HSC
Unless you paid Roald Dahl to pre-write your creative piece then 1 1/2 pages for creative writing does not really suffice. Saying that, if you got 15/15 for your other two sections then you would only need an 8/15 for the creative to reach your 'aim' ....
inb4 R.D is dead

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
An individual's Perception of belonging changing over time

Analytical was:

An individual's perceptions of belonging evolve in response to the passage of time and interaction with the world.

How is this represented in your prescribed and at least one related text?
creative seems easier than last years to BS

The question is a bit limiting for related texts though, BUT it's pretty much a journeys question which is pretty fucking lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)