General Thoughts: Modern History 2008 HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

emille-bot

HSC
Re: Howd you find it?

I thought it was pretty good, though I ran out of time and rushed core. So that was a bit shoddy,

inter108

HSC
Re: How was modern Exam?

bliss2223 said:
ww1 was like christmas...should have just given us the marks.
I went a little overboard with the development of technology...had to use another booklet.
Germany was great. So hoping for the Totalitarianism question...i opened the paper and wanted to laugh.
so happy.
Speer was fine, part (b) was a little iffy but pretty easy to argue that he clearly wasn't a winner.
Cold War....hmm. I would have liked to have written more but meh...I still answered the questioned. Wasn't expecting the communism/capitalist but again, like Speer, easy to argue.
haha if i don't get 25 in 1st sec.

Chairs will be thrown.

spango0

HSC

That exam was good actually (excepting one TINY little part of section three)

The core was easy, as ever all the sources were good and allowed for good analysis. Stock standard stuff here pretty much.

Section two national studies I did Germany 1918-45, BEST QUESTION EVER. I did part a on the successes and failures of democracy in the period 1918-33. Absolutely aced it. So much to write about and I remembered all my historians.

Personality question was absolutely fucked. That was a fuckign sideball and the person who wrote it should be fired. If not for sheer plain stupidity, then out of pure spite. Im sure many of us want to.
THAT DID NOT APPLY AT ALL. I did Albert Speer and tried to prove it wrong, while conceding a few corrct instances. Overarchinly though it didn't make any sense.

Did anyone answer section three part b well? If so how did you do it? What angle etc etc... Thesis?

And international studies in peace and conflict was alright. Standard question, I was well prepared really, but I have always found this part difficult. I didnt remember a lot of my information and I dont think I answered the question well, although I DID explicitly address the question I didn't have enough evidence.

Anyway, thats my two cents :]
My hand rather hurts...

tpeet

HSC

nirvanafreak02 said:
yes it is because even though it says "background and historical context" you still have to write about the whole life of the person
Yay, u did have to write about whole life, i was worried that I was going off on a tangent, lol :) 18 pages is still impressive... large handwriting by any chance? :p

I thought it was the perfect exam for what I had studied :) U had to think a little when it came to the personality question and some of the questions were very broad so u had to really be selective in your argument/analysis of the topic. But it was good! I loved it, my hand was in agony by the end of it, lol (but not as much as yours would have been nirvana, lol) I just hope the markers can decipher my handwriting :p

JDurrant

HSC

janaranaran! said:
core= excellent
personality= as above

USA= crash and burn baby. both really hard. my teacher said after looking at the much easier germnay questions that hopefully if I gun the core I'll get scaled a bit.
Separate questions don't get scaled differently, they're all meant to be of the same difficulty. If that's what youre saying... maybe not

sonnysburning

HSC

aye, the questions were fairly broad.. it was good :D
i stuffed up the second Trotsky section.. and the first question for the Indochina was excellent, but i kept going off on tangents about foreign policy and stuffed it up too.. Russia question was the best! 10 pages. that's the most i've written for that area.. :D:D
yay!!
no more modern!

Zephyrio

HSC

Pretty good.

Personality question was stupid though. Part (a) I meant.

gem.in.rough

HSC

Overall I thought the exam was REALLY good. Before it, I kept thinking 'oh they are going to pull something out of left field or something from last year' (cuz I mainly studied what they hadn't done) and they didn't! You could have predicted it. I even couldn't decide between the Germany questions cuz they were both so good! The worst was Cold War, didn't have enough time and my hand was really sore. The good thing is: It's over now!!! Whoo-hoo no more Modern History!!!

But... does anyone go into an exam and start thinking about things you shouldn't be thinking about, like movies or what your going to have for dinner, cuz I kept finding myself getting distracted while my pen had a mind of its own. It was weird...

Kalashnikov47

HSC

Lordie said:
Loved it! Core was nice and easy. I then did China - and the question was regarding the WHOLE period, 1927 - 1949. OMG <3

I then did Sun Yat-Sen, question fit him well, as he wasn't a 'winner', so I objected to the quote.

Then I did Indochina, which again was the whole period, 54 - 79.

Wow, I loved that.

26 pages later, and early onset RSI - I'm a happy man. Heh

IT WAS ALSO MY LAST EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

P.s Excuse my excitement.
congrat...

I did reasonably well~~~hopefully that was a band 6 for me~~~lol~~~

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC

god i wrote that Speer came out a winner, still alive and got to write his own version of events (the dude supposedly died in his lovers arms at the age of 81 i think thats a win), i argued that he could not have come out of it any better having been involved in the nazi regime anyway......
Meh to the rest of the exam
its over!!!!!

Kalashnikov47

HSC

damn ~~~nothing hard~~~much of the information i put down came from last night's reading of some random books~~~lol~~~

i think the personality question is easy, but too ambiguous in a sense that it is up to you to judge what "about winner" really means~~~

I said history is about winner because people like Trotsky was interpreted according to the winners and did not get a fair judgement in history

stillwaters

HSC

Kujah said:
Pretty good exam. I started off by planning my answers and that took about 10 mintues. And then Personality Study. Pretty good q's imo. Then Germany - totalitarian Q ftw :D I looked over my essay for that in the morning, but didn't really expect it.

And then Conflict in the Pacific. Gosh, lol. Strategies of BOTH sides from 1937-1951.... it was like telling a narrative/story.

And then Core Q. Rushed it but still good... nice sources :)
yea the totalitarian question for germany.... it was the exact... well basically the exact same question we did for an assessment at school ! ^^ so happy there :D yea, core and leni went alright except cold war ate me and spat me out... i did the ideologies question and actually kept changing my mind constantly while i was writing my essay about whether it was ideologically driven or not or was or not...
but ^^ one more exam down...

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

Also, Kujah, I thought of you when I read the option B for Germany
=d

Weimar was omnomnomnom

Miffstaa

HSC

I really liked the exam.
The a) for Russia question was a bit broad and there was so much info to include since it went from 1917-41- so including Lenin and the Bolsheviks, power stuggle and Stalinism it was friggin long.
Gorbachev was awesomeeee, had fun writing that part.
Our school predicted the right cold war questions: we had detente and changing policies/ strategies in our trial as well so that was pretty spiffy.

And I was so relieved when i walked out and i decided to buy a drink from the canteen, and just as she hands over my change the friggin emergency siren at our school goes off, so i was stuck for two hours after modern in lockout.

I feel sorry for the ones doing eco at my school :S

inter108

HSC

cait33 said:
god i wrote that Speer came out a winner, still alive and got to write his own version of events (the dude supposedly died in his lovers arms at the age of 81 i think thats a win), i argued that he could not have come out of it any better having been involved in the nazi regime anyway......
Meh to the rest of the exam
its over!!!!!
It's hard to portray a loser as a winner.

shanks27

HSC

Sect 1- Easy, , technology was pretty easy, last question sources were good, but i though that they didn't show changing attitudes over time cos only showed britian and germany at one point each?????
USA- Foreign policy, already written essay to exact question so was sweet
Personality- Good for gorbachev, jst said he wasn't a winner cos failed in improving the USSR,
Cold War- 1945-1991 nice and general battled to mention the whole period in the time
overall not too bad, pretty easy paper

spango0

HSC

sonyaleeisapixi said:
A great paper, got two thumbs up from me
^^

I lovvvvved the Weimar question. I had trouble choosing between the Indo options but chose a in the end.
Totally agree, I did the same.

Still... Personality part b was just fucked. History is about winners (me) who kill loosers who write crap exam papers.

marshie133

HSC

gem.in.rough said:
But... does anyone go into an exam and start thinking about things you shouldn't be thinking about, like movies or what your going to have for dinner, cuz I kept finding myself getting distracted while my pen had a mind of its own. It was weird...
yes haha all the time i was trying to remember some movie quote today during the reading time but i was like forget you can remember in 3 hours time...

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

spango0 said:
Totally agree, I did the same.

Still... Personality part b was just fucked. History is about winners (me) who kill loosers who write crap exam papers.
Hahaha. I really had to tweak it to fit my thoughts on Leni as an artist. But I did it first and felt good. ^^

jeckooo16

HSC

i loved this exam!!!
i was so worried about it but my god its so good to get rid off it and end on a good note
i loved the core, russian question of 5yr plans i was expecting so it was so good to find it was the question, personality was good, cold war was really broad as i did the first one..didnt really know how to answer the second one so just went with the first...i managed to finish but by the end i could not feel my hand...ouchies :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)