Got a question about cars? (2 Viewers)

SlipStream

HSC
lol, thanks ToO LaZy ^*

Full Xenon HID (high intensity discharge) kits cost a lot (~$1300), but a good set of Xenon HIL (high intensity luminosity) globes (just halogen globes but the bulbs are filled with Xenon gas) cost around $45 and have a white tinge to them. Go to Autobarn and get some expensive Phillips ones, they're the best ones. Or at Supercheap we sell some cheapie Autotecnica ones for ~$25 that I have in the Charade that do a good job. They have a higher intensity so that street signs, reflectors, cat's eyes etc are better lit.

SlipStream

HSC
Nah to use HID globes you need the whole kit - like, the wiring harness, transformer doodah, assembly mountings, etc. Just go and try some HIL bulbs and see what you think of them - if you don't like them, just take them back.

Take your old bulbs out first - grab your user manual for a guide, then just unplug the wiring from the back of the headlight and take off the rubber dust cover then there should be some little clips to undo which after you've taken them off, the bulb should just pull out. Don't touch the glass of the bulb with your fingers, though! It'll permanently damage them. Take the bulb into Supercheap or Autobarn or whatever in a tissue, and they can reference off the bulb what ones you need. But I'm not sure if it is this is easy on your new Yaris, cos it's normally like this on most older cars.

Zozo6969

HSC
SlipStream said:
It's basically just there to comply with standards (called Australian Design Rules, ADRs) set by official bodies in order for it to be eligible to be registered in Australia. It's for the same reason a lot of 4WDs have non-functional tail lights but have ones down the bottom instead. Like this:

I've actually seen Excels with that light on but, is it a rear fog lamp or what? And why do 4WDs (Pajero) have those lights on its side that don't work, (IE, the brakelights on the side, only the ones on the bumper work). It's stupid.

SlipStream

HSC
lol, didn't you read what I said? Silleh! :p

The side lights on Pajeros and stuff don't work cos they have the bottom ones instead, which are there so the car complies with ADRs that stipulate what is required design-wise in order for the car to be sold in Australia. I don't know what the light is on the Excels - probably either an extra brake light or a reflector.

HSC
SlipStream said:
Nah to use HID globes you need the whole kit - like, the wiring harness, transformer doodah, assembly mountings, etc. Just go and try some HIL bulbs and see what you think of them - if you don't like them, just take them back.

Take your old bulbs out first - grab your user manual for a guide, then just unplug the wiring from the back of the headlight and take off the rubber dust cover then there should be some little clips to undo which after you've taken them off, the bulb should just pull out. Don't touch the glass of the bulb with your fingers, though! It'll permanently damage them. Take the bulb into Supercheap or Autobarn or whatever in a tissue, and they can reference off the bulb what ones you need. But I'm not sure if it is this is easy on your new Yaris, cos it's normally like this on most older cars.
bah!.
i went into supercheap auto today but they didnt have Philips or Narva bulbs :mad:
only this unheard of brand (which i forgot the name of) for $25.
dont know if i should trust it..

oh..and btw.. whats your refund policy at supercheap?

Zozo6969

HSC
Here's a question. V8 Supercars have a sequential manual gearbox, and a clutch. Therefore, how can they change gears clutchless? Does the clutch disengage itself or what? And how come sometimes they use the clutch anyway if they don't need to?

Also, what are the different types of gear patterns. There is the H pattern gearbox, what else?

55psi

HSC
ive never seen them change gears without clutch :cool: ... and ive never seen them use the clutch for no particular reason. But i could be blind. The only thing i can think of that they do commonly is flat shift which is engaging the clutch to change gears while the accelerator is still down.
And some or most drivers tap the brakes way before a big turn so they get the brakes to a considerable heat so that when they actually brake before the turn, the discs will already be in a temperature where nearly maximum grip between the pads and the discs can be had.

I didnt really answer ur question but u could be mistaken between those 2 things... correct me if im wrong

And for the H gear box pattern, the only other pattern is sequential shift which is just up and down still using the clutch. A clutchless (auto) sequential shift is called tiptronic and its crapper than the sequential shift (manual) because its not as responsive because it contains a torque converter in the auto box.

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Here's a question. V8 Supercars have a sequential manual gearbox, and a clutch. Therefore, how can they change gears clutchless? Does the clutch disengage itself or what? And how come sometimes they use the clutch anyway if they don't need to?

Also, what are the different types of gear patterns. There is the H pattern gearbox, what else?
:(

RIP the H-pattern :(

DIED 2005

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yes...

but they're fun, they whole down then up/right, then down, then up/right...

great action

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No denying that but for purely engineering reasons they cant handle the power a sequential can...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yeah, but for driving fun...it's better

reminds me of auto a touch

sort of, taking the movement from driving

dirty hands

HSC
free technical advice for free

hi ppl im a 43 yr old fart but i have a lot of mechanical knowlage esp engine reconditioning head gaskets timing and general auto electrical experience
and i also have a factory manual for minis and repair manuals for ford telstar and VWS

wrecked quite a few cars

also know some holdens falcons and toyotas valiants

also a member of several car forums

so if i can help email me on knine000@yahoo.com.au aka ray brisbane

dont know anything about turbos or burnouts or diesel or gas conversions

hope i can be of help sometime :)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
why do cars have reverse lights that are one side white and the other side red?

take a CRX, the only car i can think of at the moment, which has the reversing light on the left or right side white and the other side red. do they both go off as white or does only one side?

55psi

HSC
transcendent said:
which has the reversing light on the left or right side white and the other side red. do they both go off as white or does only one side?
Thats just totally confusing. Stock for both CRX's (the 2nd being the del sol), the white light are on the insides of the left and right tail lights, and those being the reversing lights.
I think uve probably seen a CRX with Altezza lights which consist of more white/chrome tail lights than the ordinary red. In this case, the outside of the tail light section will be white/chrome and these will be the blinkers, on the inside of the tail lights will be white/chrome and will be the reversing lights and the middle of each will be red and its the braking lights section.

Zozo6969

HSC
55psi said:
ive never seen them change gears without clutch :cool: ... and ive never seen them use the clutch for no particular reason. But i could be blind. The only thing i can think of that they do commonly is flat shift which is engaging the clutch to change gears while the accelerator is still down.
And some or most drivers tap the brakes way before a big turn so they get the brakes to a considerable heat so that when they actually brake before the turn, the discs will already be in a temperature where nearly maximum grip between the pads and the discs can be had.

I didnt really answer ur question but u could be mistaken between those 2 things... correct me if im wrong

And for the H gear box pattern, the only other pattern is sequential shift which is just up and down still using the clutch. A clutchless (auto) sequential shift is called tiptronic and its crapper than the sequential shift (manual) because its not as responsive because it contains a torque converter in the auto box.
How do you think Greg Murphy downshifts when he is a left foot braker. He doesn't use the clutch. He uses the clutch sometimes like on straights and I think every driver uses the cluth when they change gears across neutral (IE 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th).

transcendent said:
why do cars have reverse lights that are one side white and the other side red?

take a CRX, the only car i can think of at the moment, which has the reversing light on the left or right side white and the other side red. do they both go off as white or does only one side?
Only one side goes off. Some Subarus have it.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
On many gear boxes designed specifically for motoring racing, the clutch is not required for down gear, only for up gear. This is very common in rallying in the old days.

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
bah!.
i went into supercheap auto today but they didnt have Philips or Narva bulbs :mad:
only this unheard of brand (which i forgot the name of) for $25.
dont know if i should trust it..

oh..and btw.. whats your refund policy at supercheap?
Nah the Philips and Narva bulbs are at Autobarn mate. We sell some crappy electrical brands but we do sell a good brand (can't remember what they're called) - go to Autobarn for the HIL bulbs, but I think they get expensive... hover around $50 over there but they are some of the best HIL bulbs out there.

Yeh as Dave pointed out (he also works at Supercheap but at a separate store) we have a pretty loosey-goosey refund policy on account of the people working there not particularly caring. Depends on what store you go to - if you buy some bulbs, pop them in your car and if you don't like them repackage them and take them back.

Zozo6969 said:

In sequentials like the Aussie racecar you need to use the clutch when taking off and downchanging - it has an electronic rev cut when you change gears that makes flatshifting possible. I didn't know the V8SC are going sequential? Dang. I love teh H-pattern so much, I'll always have a car in the garage with one until I kick the bucket.

55psi: Driving styles between V8SC drivers vary a bit, but most don't use the clutch for upshifts at all. As you mentioned, some punch the clutch while flatshifting, but the majority don't touch the clutch at all but rather lift-off the A-pedal for a split second when upchanging, and some just slam the shifter into gear with their right foot buried to the floor which isn't particularly gentle on the drivetrain.

And in regards to the brakes... wha?! Heat is an energy released from friction, but excessive heat doesn't aid braking at all - it detracts from it, big time! That's why the V8SC have huge ducts leading onto the front brakes from the front bar. And I wouldn't think that a style that incorporates braking way before a corner in order to "heat them up" to be the faster way around a racetrack. Generally under racing conditions the rotors are constantly at a heat that ensures maximum efficiency from the brakes (if not far hotter) - but you're sort of right; generally the brakes need a bit of heat in them to work properly.

transcendent:
in regards to the lights Q, it's just once again something that has arisen from stupid ADR requirements.

dirty hands: you're 43 but you finished your HSC in 2003? WTF, talk about random post or what.

redslert: I think you meant the other way around, lol - if you tried to downchange a racing box without the clutch in you'll only get some really evil grinding noises.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)