Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
CHE-13S said:
How so? They usually have have superior engineering than equivalent power big cube engines. It mostly depends on maintenance and treatment. All things equal, i see no reason why a generic japanese 2.0 turbocharged engine cannot outlast a 3.8L commodore engine. Rotaries are obviously different and yes they did have inherent design failures in older designs. Today tough, there is nothing inherently wrong with the RX8's engine that will give it a shorter lifespan.

I do understand where you're coming from though, a poorly tuned turbo engine will probably die more quickly than an NA engine. But there are still many variables involved.
either built upto the same standard of working (yeh, pretty damned hard to compare) will last, like you said, many variables

but me..im sorry to not be precise...but i cant choose...the best of both worlds will beat either, without 'boost' how would top alco get, like, 5000hp :s lol

meh, blame the summernats dyno :p (turbo V8's)

SlipStream

HSC
A boosted engine will last as long as the internals are up to the task.

i.e. a CA18DET with stock internals will poopie its pants running 24psi in a short amount of time.

Naturally aspirated engines are normally much more reliable than boosted ones - it is so easy to turn up the boost on a turbo car and totally forget about the internals. "Hmmm, another 2 psi won't hurt ... Hmmm, another 2 psi won't hurt ... Hmmm, why did my engine go bang??"

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
Thats the thing slip, who has a turbo and doesn't wanna turn up the boost, like...yay, stock 6psi...BoRING lets get 17psi running!
True - but for every boost-crazy moron out there there's a civilised person who is happy with the stock boost of his car. Besides, many people don't touch the boost in the warranty period because the warranty will become void. Once the warranty runs out, they sell the car used - often to people who are after a new car out of warranty so they can muck around with it.

Like, my dad has a WRX on order but stresses over putting a simple BOV on it - let alone turning up the boost. There'd be heaps of people out there like him. I'm putting pressure on him to add a BOV and exhaust - we'd be the ultimate Subi family. My Brumby and his Rexxy. :p

funniboi

HSC
SlipStream said:
i.e. a CA18DET with stock internals will poopie its pants running 24psi in a short amount of time.

lol, actually runinng 24psi on any engine, would 'poopie' on stock internals. rofl.

SlipStream

HSC
funniboi said:
lol, actually runinng 24psi on any engine, would 'poopie' on stock internals. rofl.
It was an example, not a statement suggesting the stock CA18 is the only engine that cannot withstand 24psi.

There would be some engines capable of running 24psi on stock internals - but they'd already be mega performance engines.

Got a question?

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
hmm forged pistons anyone?

hey whats the differenece between a detroit locker diff and a minispool?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
hmm forged pistons anyone?

hey whats the differenece between a detroit locker diff and a minispool?
forged pistons...isnt it because they are made by the forging process, and not another, like casting

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yeh...well, lockers and spools...the second half of your question, im never sure about which is which, so i thought i'd post a link anyway :p

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
thanks for the link btw, its given me a better idea of why they are so popular with the modded car community now ;]

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
no worries...it's helped me too :uhhuh:

not that'll admit to that every again :p

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
markmooks said:
Or not manufacturer genuine parts :D
Do you actually know anything about cars markmooks? Or just that, some cars run there gears at a closer ratio, that you claim "protects the driveline" ??? and that cars have ECU's in them...and some run after market parts.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
anyone here have a second hand audison srx3 amp by any chance =/ lol long shot, anyway, by the way i've talked to FHRX in other car forums, he seems like a nice enough dude. he offered me $600 for a brand new srx3 ... bit too expensive, was hoping to pick up a second hand one

SlipStream

HSC
I think both your questions were covered well, w1ck3d_c10wn.

Now I (yes that's right... ME!) have a question. Although I probably should be going to a mechanic rather than a forum, here goes!

I'm putting some octane booster into my car for a laugh. It normally uses regular, but with the octane booster I'll be using 98RON PULP (BP Ultimate). The combined octane rating will be about 100.1.

My car uses analogue technology - manual ignition timing (carby). I know I'll have to manually tune it for maximum exploitation - i.e. advance the timing until it starts to ping.

My question is: can someone give me a basic idea of how many degrees I should advance it? I'm thinking only one or two, but I want a number to focus on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)