Greek world 500-440 B.C (1 Viewer)

lockedbox

HSC
I doubt they'll ask about Themistocles since it already came up in 2009.

As for the Persian Wars, they might ask about the significance of naval battles or contributions of Miltiades and Leonidas.
have you seen more than 2 past papers? Having done it before does not mean that they won't do it again. They asked about themistocles every other year for six years and my teacher says that there is always a high chance of him being in there bacause the people who write the questions love asking about themistocles due to the high quality essays they tend to get back. If the past paper questions I've been given are any indication then he's been asked about for around 5 times in the past 10 years and that trend hasn't stopped, it cant hurt to hope!

If you know these two thoroughly enough, you should be able to deal with almost anything they throw at you.
ditto that! I've managed to use the same ten quotes from these essays over and over again in all my other essays (well too!) but I still hope they don't ask anything about sparta or cimon, sparta is as confusing as hell and I just don't have the sources for cimon :/

Last edited:

abcba

HSC
would they ask both questions from the same sectiom like two on the persian wars ? just to make it difficult and trip us all

LonelyWolf

HSC
would they ask both questions from the same sectiom like two on the persian wars ? just to make it difficult and trip us all
possibly, no one can predict it - we have to take a chance, either study for delian league or persian wars

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
but I still hope they don't ask anything about sparta or cimon, sparta is as confusing as hell and I just don't have the sources for cimon :/
Naw Kimon's easy, the main thing you need to know is that he headed almost all of the post Battle of Mykale campaigns (Naxos, Skyros, Karystos, Thasos
etc.) that began to reveal Athens true intentions regarding the Delian League. If you panic in the exam re. sources, 'Plutarch, Life of Kimon' ;]

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
You know they have never asked about the interwar period, which came up in the independent school trial. This section is always underestimated and there is actually alot on this topic to write a 25 marker

Claire_xox

Premium Member
HSC
You know they have never asked about the interwar period, which came up in the independent school trial. This section is always underestimated and there is actually a lot on this topic to write a 25 marker
I think I would cry if this came up lol.
What would you talk about? all I know is that the Persians did a lot of prep (bridging of the Hellespont, Styrmon river, digging canals. etc.) while the Greeks did shit all until the congress of the Isthmus
On the topic of only studying one section, I wouldn't take the risk. They could give us a putrid Persian Wars question so it's always good to know you have an alternative

lockedbox

HSC
What would you talk about? all I know is that the Persians did a lot of prep (bridging of the Hellespont, Styrmon river, digging canals. etc.) while the Greeks did shit all until the congress of the Isthmus
You could talk about themistocles and the athenian navy too.

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
On the topic of only studying one section, I wouldn't take the risk. They could give us a putrid Persian Wars question so it's always good to know you have an alternative
Hahaha if it weren't for my teacher who convinced us to study it I would have left it out as well. To attempt this question you would have Tom divide it into two parts and assess the effectiveness of the preparations separately ( yes the question would ask you to make a judgement on how good they were). For Persia you are correct but also consider Xerxes' establishment of supply depots along the route he intended to take in his invasion. He intended to keep his land force and naval force as close as possible together. He also tried to gain as many allies on the way, and many minor entities along the way medised. For the Greeks we have the congress which was extremely important - the need to improve unity in order to defeat the Persians, poleis distrust of Athenian leadership caused the spartans to take control of the combined naval force. Themistocles was aware of the fragility between the poleis of Greece. They also established a complex network of espionage to spy on Persian preparations and gain an idea of how to combat them. Themistocles also diverted funds from high yields from the Lauren mines to the construction of triremes, a policy which Aristides strongly opposed. Lastly envoy's were sent to Corcyra, Syracuse and Crete to participate in the war.

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for the spelling mistakes, my iPad likes to change my words...

LonelyWolf

HSC
Still worrying, is everyone planning essays for persian wars and delian league?

Dinamo

HSC
Same here. I'm hoping that they will ask a question along the lines of explain the development from the Delian League into Athenian Empire. They haven't asked this question since 2005 basing off from past papers so there's a possible chance. An essay question on the roles of Aristides and Cimon might come up as well like in the trials.
Ahh last years question was "account for the development of the Athenian empire". That's basically Delian Leauge>athenian empire (2010)

suling

HSC
I would definitely prepare for both. It seems too risky to only prepare for one, in case they ask some completely ridiculous and obscure question -it has happened!

lockedbox

HSC
Ahh last years question was "account for the development of the Athenian empire". That's basically Delian Leauge>athenian empire (2010)
would you include formation and organisation, or just transformation?

musing

HSC
Ah crap. I was looking at 2010 CSSA paper, not the HSC paper. Well there might be a chance that "Analyse the key democratic developments in Athens" or something will come up.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Same im preparing both. According to my history teacher it's too risky :(( preparing only 1 section.

inkaj

HSC
N/A
I'm scared. What if they give us a question like the 2008 one.. about the impact of the wars on Sparta? like whatttt? How would you approach it?

suling

HSC
I'm scared. What if they give us a question like the 2008 one.. about the impact of the wars on Sparta? like whatttt? How would you approach it?
Do the other question lol. That's my advice. :p

A-Nonentity

HSC
Hey everyone i have had the biggest mind blank, if the question is on just the delian league and not athenian empire, do we still go till 440 bc with the land empire stuff or stop at around 450 BC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)