Hard Projectile Q (1 Viewer)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Indeed, I find acmilan to be an excellent moderator.
I agree. He's doing his job, and asking you to politely abide by the guidelines.

We couldn't ask for a better maths mod.

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I find acmilan to be an excellent moderator.
i dont think acmilan is a bad mod but saying hes excellent is going a bit far dont u think?

i mean he has done alot of irritating things, like in this post he offers his 'personal' answers after 3 correct solutions have already been given

and other things like this that was put in a prev geometry post:

acmilan said:
ill give it a shot tomorrow
and then doing nothing

posts like that stop others from answering the question and are done only for the purpose of him telling everyone how great he is

i would say people like Slide Rule, kfunk, FinalFantasy and who_loves_maths have really contributed to helping students but theres no way i'd say acmilans contribution was excellent.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
maths > english said:
i mean he has done alot of irritating things, like in this post he offers his 'personal' answers after 3 correct solutions have already been given
I admit im not the best moderator around, and I admit im not 'excellent', however I believe you misunderstood what I said. I did not offer my own personal solutions for that question, in fact I offered to make a file containing solutions to that entire chapter (which is in the process of being done), merging the solutions of various members throughout the time in which this forum has been up, since if you are a regular on here, it is so much easier to refer members to this rather than continually posting the solutions as these particular questions have been asked time and time again (if you check this forum right from the start you will see this).

On not contributing as much as other members, I agree. However I purposely try to stay away from answering questions when there are members in here who are actually doing their HSC who would benefit more from attempting and trying to get to solutions on their own before an answer is just handed to them.

As for that geometry question, I said i'd give it a shot, and I did. I did not post it to show people how 'great' I am, and if it sounded that way im sorry. I'd be the first person to admit im not the greatest at maths either in uni or even on here, and any member who knew me could testify to this. However it was specified that a non-complex algebraic solution was wanted, which I did not find at the time

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Mellonie, shut the fuck up. I chose acmilan to suceed me for a reason, and that is because he is an excellent moderator who has a better knowledge of the 2/3u course than most people on this board (the lauries, archmans, nits, shafqats etc not withstanding of course).

In cases such as this I'd ask you to refer rules of the forum. Point 4 states that you should use your common sense in all situations, and generally common sense would denote that if you have already had your question answered, posting it again in another thread is not appropriate, you should ask for more answers in the existing thread (it seems acmilan has recently added another point to prevent this occurance in the future by explicitly forbidding it though). Also see point 1, it states that if you have a problem with a moderator you should take it up with them, and if you do not get a satisfactory response, contact the administrators of this forum. Taking such issues up in the open public fora is not appropriate.

And just for the record, if I were still moderator of this place you would probably have been shut down much more harshly than you already have been.

Edit for maths>english: A moderator has three roles imo, with two primary ones being actual operations to do with moving, closing, deleting threads, keeping the peace etc, and providing helpful summaries or collections of links or whatever from time to time. The role of answering questions is, I believe, a secondary concern because someone else can do it, while they cannot do the former, and very few are going to have the motivation to spend a significant amount of time on the latter.

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
maths > english said:
i would say people like Slide Rule, kfunk, FinalFantasy and who_loves_maths have really contributed to helping students but theres no way i'd say acmilans contribution was excellent.
You're looking at a single incident. Over time, the contribution has been equal to the other high-posting members of this forum. Those who have helped with all these problems over time have all made excellent contributions.

Please do not denigrate the moderation staff - without them the board would turn to anarchy soon enough. Be grateful, and if you have concerns, please contact that moderator in question, private message a Super Moderator or Admin, and take your own beef with that moderator out of public topics where it does not belong.

If you are not contributing to solving the maths problem, please continue your banter with acmilan elsewhere.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
maths > english said:
i dont think acmilan is a bad mod but saying hes excellent is going a bit far dont u think?
No, I certainly do not. I did not say a perfect moderator.

The role of a moderator is not to be the most helpful person the planet (because it is not a job, it's a voluntary service). It is, IMHO, to ensure the stability and good flow of a forum. He does this excellently*. For solving maths problems, we do have, as you said, others to help out.

Even then, however, I think you're underestimating his contributions. He has made a significant proportion of helpful posts in the past, and continues to do so. There are strange cases, such as when three people all post at the same time with a solution, or when he says he'll try to help, but ends up being to bogged down with uni work, but I don't think that undermines the quality of his contributions. As for his personal solutions, from memory they have been elegant and easily understandable, which is something I have no problem with as I admit I often rush my own solutions.

Oh, and one final thing: I believe anybody should feel free to post a solution to a problem, even if it was solved ages ago by ten people. It harms nobody, helps you learn, and maybe others might even learn a new trick from it.

*I've been on many forums in the past. I've seen a lot of a bad moderators and even good moderators. The bad ones actually screw up the flow of a forum, the good ones tend to make it flow smoothly with a few hiccups here and there, such as getting a bit trigger happy from time to time or having some minor annoying little rules. I do not feel acmilan fits either of these categories.

Mellonie

HSC
withoutaface said:
Mellonie, shut the fuck up. I chose acmilan to suceed me for a reason, and that is because he is an excellent moderator who has a better knowledge of the 2/3u course than most people on this board (the lauries, archmans, nits, shafqats etc not withstanding of course).

In cases such as this I'd ask you to refer rules of the forum. Point 4 states that you should use your common sense in all situations, and generally common sense would denote that if you have already had your question answered, posting it again in another thread is not appropriate, you should ask for more answers in the existing thread (it seems acmilan has recently added another point to prevent this occurance in the future by explicitly forbidding it though). Also see point 1, it states that if you have a problem with a moderator you should take it up with them, and if you do not get a satisfactory response, contact the administrators of this forum. Taking such issues up in the open public fora is not appropriate.

And just for the record, if I were still moderator of this place you would probably have been shut down much more harshly than you already have been.

Edit for maths>english: A moderator has three roles imo, with two primary ones being actual operations to do with moving, closing, deleting threads, keeping the peace etc, and providing helpful summaries or collections of links or whatever from time to time. The role of answering questions is, I believe, a secondary concern because someone else can do it, while they cannot do the former, and very few are going to have the motivation to spend a significant amount of time on the latter.

y r u swearing for.. get over it.. i have taken it up with the team ok. Have some respect next time, and speak with manner.

Mellonie

HSC
MedNez said:
You're looking at a single incident. Over time, the contribution has been equal to the other high-posting members of this forum. Those who have helped with all these problems over time have all made excellent contributions.

Please do not denigrate the moderation staff - without them the board would turn to anarchy soon enough. Be grateful, and if you have concerns, please contact that moderator in question, private message a Super Moderator or Admin, and take your own beef with that moderator out of public topics where it does not belong.

If you are not contributing to solving the maths problem, please continue your banter with acmilan elsewhere.
oh relax girl... and i think i know how to send a msg to him which i have done personally .

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Mellonie said:
y r u swearing for.. get over it.. i have taken it up with the team ok. Have some respect next time, and speak with manner.
I treated you with no less respect than you treated acmilan.

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
maths > english said:
i dont think acmilan is a bad mod
i just wanted to make it clear that i didnt think acmilan was a bad mod, he just did afew things i didnt agree with

Slide Rule said:
I believe anybody should feel free to post a solution to a problem, even if it was solved ages ago by ten people. It harms nobody, helps you learn, and maybe others might even learn a new trick from it.
also, i completely agree with this. for instance in this post who_loves_maths's solution was very creative and would have given hsc students a set of tricks they can apply to many different questions

however i dont think people should post solutions that are basically identical to ones already up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)