Has anyone managed to attain high ranks without tutoring? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know many people with no tutoring that got good ranks.

Personally I've never gotten any tutoring and my worst rank is 5th. (Only in Yr 11 though)

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
I've had short stints at tutoring in primary and in year 10, but for the HSC year I have had not attended any forms of paid tuition. Not noted in my sig, but I do economics by distance ed. (no teacher, just me and the textbook) and do feel confident in achieving at least a high band 5/low band 6.

rayz93

HSC
Yes, top 5 in everything, except maths. Most are 2nd place by point something. Still awaiting 2nd trial results to determine if i'm in first place for some of them. Maths is the only outlier. :S No tutoring... except once a week for maths over about 3 weeks, where the tutor sucked, and seemed like i was the one teaching her! =S come on, 2 unit maths.. doesn't need much to teach. but yeah, i just haven't had motivation for maths.

HSC
Top 3 (tied first in 2u) don't do tutoring. They're also all accelerated. (Me one of them)

Vidhya

HSC
1st in three subjects, 2nd in three and 3rd in one. I do get tutored for adv maths (3rd) and ext (2nd) though :p

powlmao

Banned
HSC
First in Business, economics and legal -No tutoring.

I may get some for english next year but.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Bio is damn easy. U can just read the textbook and grasp the concept. Unlike phys and chem.
Chem is pretty much the same... I do both.

Btw to add to this thread, I came first in my MX1 trial without tutoring and by like 6 marks or something too.

musing

HSC
I came first overall in both English Advanced and Modern History without tutoring.

Infatuate

HSC
Back in '08, my brother received a UAI of 99.4... (I'm assuming his ranks were quite high, if not above-average, considering that he went to SBHS). And what's surprising is that he refused to go tutoring. :)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
got 99.15 and state rank in physics with absolutely no tutoring

seanieg89

HSC
Never been tutored, I prefer learning things my own way rather than someone elses.

luciferous

HSC
I think I've actually done worse after going to tutoring since its taking up a whole day on the weekend = less time to study

jessoapc

HSC
You don't need tutoring, but you need to be self-motivated and focused. It also helps to have good resources that you can go to when you get stuck and start to lose momentum with your studying, especially with maths where sometimes it feels like you've just hit a dead end and can't push through to get the answer.

1st in Business

HSC
it is always possible, most of the kids at my school who ranked top 10 did not have tutoring. personal preference though

manscux

HSC
Yep..... no tution and got 1st place

as for a lot of my friends

mate tution is if you NEED HELP.... NOT IF YOU WANT TO GET 1ST PLACE (cant emphasis how misconceived some people are)

kakakwork

HSC
i asked the same thing... coz i dont have time to go to a tutor.. but i found this really helpfull and helped me top maths, chem and phys lol its so good qnd convenient! so worth it

www.primeonlinetutor.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)