High Performance Student Plan (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone, been doing some research word lately on the Adv Maths course UNSW. Could anyone give me some idea of what the "High Performance Student Plan is". All I know is it's by invitation only and the requirements are 97 MX2, 98 ATAR or if you want to join in later years >90 WAM.

Apparently you get a lot of flexibility.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello everyone, been doing some research word lately on the Adv Maths course UNSW. Could anyone give me some idea of what the "High Performance Student Plan is". All I know is it's by invitation only and the requirements are 97 MX2, 98 ATAR or if you want to join in later years >90 WAM.

Apparently you get a lot of flexibility.
You need a 90 WAM overall to remain in the program, in which itll be fucking hard to get. In that case, you would need to basement it out like you would in the HSC. Or alternatively, if you're smart, then I guess it would be okay.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Do you have any info on what the plan is all about?

HSC
N/A
The plan is there for a small number of really good students who might otherwise keeping ketting caught up in annoying degree rules because they are trying to do a degree that more advanced the standard one. The school of maths seems pretty good at letting people do things in funny orders if they think that you'll cope, so I don't know anyone who has actually needed to go on this plan to do what they wanted.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The plan is there for a small number of really good students who might otherwise keeping ketting caught up in annoying degree rules because they are trying to do a degree that more advanced the standard one. The school of maths seems pretty good at letting people do things in funny orders if they think that you'll cope, so I don't know anyone who has actually needed to go on this plan to do what they wanted.
Apparently you have greater flexibility in choosing your degrees. I'm not sure what that means..?

HSC
N/A
Apparently you have greater flexibility in choosing your degrees. I'm not sure what that means..?
Every degree has a whole pile of requirements such as compuslory courses, at least so many units of credit of 3rd year,.... Some degrees give you very little choice about what to do. For the maths plans the main requirement is a list of core 1st and 2nd year maths courses which you'd want to do anyway. I think that they probably use this HP plan to avoid general BSc rules like:

11. No student may commence level II courses until 30 units of credit of level I courses have been successfully completed.
12. Students may commence level III courses upon successful completion of 72 units of credit.

Do you have something unusual that you actually want to do?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Every degree has a whole pile of requirements such as compuslory courses, at least so many units of credit of 3rd year,.... Some degrees give you very little choice about what to do. For the maths plans the main requirement is a list of core 1st and 2nd year maths courses which you'd want to do anyway. I think that they probably use this HP plan to avoid general BSc rules like:

11. No student may commence level II courses until 30 units of credit of level I courses have been successfully completed.
12. Students may commence level III courses upon successful completion of 72 units of credit.

Do you have something unusual that you actually want to do?
I want to actually do a certain combined degree including adv maths I doubt they'd let me

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I wanna do Engineering/adv maths or maybe comp science/adv maths
i dont think you can do either :S
one of my friends asked about engineering/adv maths last week and it wont be offered next year at least.
you can't do comp sci/adv maths but you can do comp sci/maths which is the same...
adv. maths is the same as just science majoring in maths essentially.

HSC
N/A
I wanna do Engineering/adv maths or maybe comp science/adv maths
Doing Eng or CS with maths is pretty standard. In practice there wouldn't be much difference between what you did in a BSc (Maths) and the Adv Maths program. (You can do honours at the end of either if your marks are OK). I think I heard someone talking about a new BEng/ Adv Maths double degree but I don't know if it exists yet. Dr John Steele in the School of Maths is the guy to ask about double degrees.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Doing Eng or CS with maths is pretty standard. In practice there wouldn't be much difference between what you did in a BSc (Maths) and the Adv Maths program. (You can do honours at the end of either if your marks are OK). I think I heard someone talking about a new BEng/ Adv Maths double degree but I don't know if it exists yet. Dr John Steele in the School of Maths is the guy to ask about double degrees.
theres talk about it but its not happening next year at least. my friend got that from Dr John Steele last week.

HSC
Uni Grad
Just stick with the B Engineering/B Science (Maths) program. In the advanced maths program, you have to take SCIF1121, which is a fucking useless subject, and you have to take compulsory honours. Plus you have to take all the higher level courses. It's pretty ironic when the normal degree program has more options than the advanced degree program. =_=

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Just stick with the B Engineering/B Science (Maths) program. In the advanced maths program, you have to take SCIF1121, which is a fucking useless subject, and you have to take compulsory honours. Plus you have to take all the higher level courses. It's pretty ironic when the normal degree program has more options than the advanced degree program. =_=
this is true. there are only a few perks of doing the adv. maths degree which may not outweigh the flexibility/options of just doing B Science.
The main point of adv. maths is just to get more students doing maths anyway (and because sydney uni had it as well), so its working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)