Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Hey Ironrod, why don't you just explicitly lay it all out on the table. In layman's terms, what do you dislike about homosexuality and its' people (or those involved)... no reasoning... just what you don't like about it.

:)
"Because if i believe its ok, goddy will stick me with his zeus rod."

Name_Taken

HSC
Yes, but in a universe without god, why do you consider it worthy to lay down all you have and supposedly ever will have for the equally irrelevant and futile life of another (let alone something like their private property)? Surely this is just some ancient lingering faith from the bones of your ancestors still ringing in your ears at an imperceptible pitch.
+ 1 Iron you have a way with words :)

In addition to this, why should you care about the freedoms of others, afterall in a Godless universe we are all but cavemen, protecting out own patch of land, with no more right to an existance than an ant or bacterium.

Furthermore, without God it would be impossible for you to justify your existence on Earth, let alone attempt to decipher a "meaning of life".

dolbinau

HSC
+ 1 Iron you have a way with words :)

In addition to this, why should you care about the freedoms of others, afterall in a Godless universe we are all but cavemen, protecting out own patch of land, with no more right to an existance than an ant or bacterium.
".
RE: Iron's commment
http://community.boredofstudies.org/4833161/post-4619.html

RE: Why should we care about freedoms of others

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(evolution)) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_altruism

(It is adaptive for a species to co-operate)

Last edited:

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Yes, but in a universe without god, why do you consider it worthy to lay down all you have and supposedly ever will have for the equally irrelevant and futile life of another (let alone something like their private property)? Surely this is just some ancient lingering faith from the bones of your ancestors still ringing in your ears at an imperceptible pitch.
I guess you could say I'm an atheist existentialist. I lack belief in a deity or a higher power, and I feel that one finds meaning/purpose in life not from a supernatural deity creating that meaning/purpose for us, but from our life experiences and our own perspective of life developing that meaning/purpose.

I feel that existence precedes essence, rather than the other way around.

And I also feel that people develop/create/choose a meaning/purpose in life. Whether that meaning/purpose is altruistic, or selfish, or involves pleasing some imagined higher being - that it ultimately the decision of the individual and/or is formed by the environmental upbringing and experiences that the individual is subjected to or chooses to be involved with.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hey Ironrod, why don't you just explicitly lay it all out on the table. In layman's terms, what do you dislike about homosexuality and its' people (or those involved)... no reasoning... just what you don't like about it.

:)
Either a man governs his passions and finds peace, or he lets himself be dominated by them and becomes unhappy. Spouses are called to share in God's creative power thru the private intimacy and spiritual communion of sex. Anything else is contrary to this unique and beautiful purpose

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
There's compassion, understanding, and tolerance. We, as humans, know a wrong when we see one.

Furthermore, without God it would be impossible for you to justify your existence on Earth, let alone attempt to decipher a "meaning of life".
So what is the meaning of life?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Either a man governs his passions and finds peace, or he lets himself be dominated by them and becomes unhappy.
I love you, Man. XD

Those who despise Iron have no soul :p... I don't know if it's possible for you to not speak in some form of high level prose.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I guess you could say I'm an atheist existentialist. I lack belief in a deity or a higher power, and I feel that one finds meaning/purpose in life not from a supernatural deity creating that meaning/purpose for us, but from our life experiences and our own perspective of life developing that meaning/purpose.

I feel that existence precedes essence, rather than the other way around.

And I also feel that people develop/create/choose a meaning/purpose in life. Whether that meaning/purpose is altruistic, or selfish, or involves pleasing some imagined higher being - that it ultimately the decision of the individual and/or is formed by the environmental upbringing and experiences that the individual is subjected to or chooses to be involved with.
stfu emo

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I don't see how my previous post was emo.

And resorting to ad hominem attacks doesn't really achieve anything. If you don't want to discuss issues that you've brought up and made sweeping generalisations about, why are you even here?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The 'unconscious glorification of their creator' could be explained as some kind of altruism, which is adaptive in evolutionary terms? (e.g. people are more likely to act altruistically towards people who are genetically closer - these findings are used by evolutionary scientists to claim it is an adaptive behaviour to keep genes in the gene pool, or genes in the pool at all for the survival of the species, in the case of altruistic acts towards the least related members). This explains the behaviour without a God (but of course assumes we did evolve by natural selection).

Btw Iron, it must really frustrate you that basically all of society has been manipulated/brainwashed into believing scientific concepts that some Christians believe are false, and that most of society practice anti-christian behaviour (at least in terms of sexual practices and worshipping), ay?. I'm just saying that, since I know you hold your beliefs so strongly, I can empathise how strange/annoying it must be for you.
What scientific theories have I set myself against? The pursuit of truth employs both faith and reason in equal measure... But for you to strip love down to something as undignifed as some unconscious self-interest is something of a laugh. Anything to deflect personal, moral responsibility for anything hey?
Save me science!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ah. Good. Back on track. I see the thread is about Iron again. Excellent.
You will all be happier this way.

Name_Taken

HSC
There's compassion, understanding, and tolerance. We, as humans, know a wrong when we see one.

So what is the meaning of life?
But where did these morals come from?

If you like the rest of our species are merely the freak development of some accidental chemical reactions which caused primative bacteria to crawl out of a primeval sludge, then why should you care about the predicament of others?

If this is your true ancestory, then you have no creator and should be free to do whatever you please, without fear of consequence or without being hindered by subconscious morality which appears ingrained into your brain.

What is it within you that makes you see certain activities to be inately wrong?

dolbinau

HSC
What scientific theories have I set myself against? The pursuit of truth employs both faith and reason in equal measure... But for you to strip love down to something as undignifed as some unconscious self-interest is something of a laugh. Anything to deflect personal, moral responsibility for anything hey?
Save me science!
1.Well to claim the earth is 6,000 years ago [assuming you do believe this, as some christians do] and and that we were created (in the form we are today), would be quite controversial. I'm not trying to argue anything I'm just saying it must be frustrating for you.

2. Mmm. I guess, I mean whatever you want to think. I'm just saying there are plausible alternate explanations to what you believe is God-related.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
1.Well to claim the earth is 6,000 years ago [assuming you do believe this, as some christians do] and and that we were created (in the form we are today), would be quite controversial. I'm not trying to argue anything I'm just saying it must be frustrating for you.

2. Mmm. I guess, I mean whatever you want to think. I'm just saying there are plausible alternate explanations to what you believe is God-related.
Catholics have no problem with the theory of evolution, k. Even St Augustine cautioned against reading Genesis too literally.

I also dont deny that there are alternative explanations of the meaning of life - some of them are very pretty!

dolbinau

HSC
But where did these morals come from?

If you like the rest of our species are merely the freak development of some accidental chemical reactions which caused primative bacteria to crawl out of a primeval sludge, then why should you care about the predicament of others?

If this is your true ancestory, then you have no creator and should be free to do whatever you please, without fear of consequence or without being hindered by subconscious morality which appears ingrained into your brain.

What is it within you that makes you see certain activities to be inately wrong?
As I said, it's adaptive for the species to co-orporate and see certain activities (e.g. Murder) as wrong. And the ancestry would arise from apparent evolutionary pressures of earlier species we apparently adapted from. (i.e., the species that by chance had instincts not to kill others survived).

But it's not necessarily about what was inherited either. Humans have sophisticated reasoning and learning capabilities etc.. - and we can teach humans to behave in certain ways (e.g. holding certain morals) anyway.

I'm not saying this is all necessarily true, just that it can be plausibly explained without God (which would be the popular scientific opinion).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)