How do we determine our aligned marks? (1 Viewer)

lewdogs

HSC
umm well if you stick to consistant work ethics like that then no... maybe a 60? if lucky. for everyone hoping for a UAI over 90, just think to yourself am i doing better than 90% of the state? the answers most probably no. of course thats not to say you will go poorly as most people on this site use it because they are focused and want to achieve a good UAI. lets be realistic dont expect much more than low 80's if your not consistantly getting 87+ in your assesment marks

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
lol thats rubbish. avg assessment mark from someone i know was about 60%, he got a uai of 98+

fruitarian

HSC
OK peoples this SAM thing has done nothing but confused me :) I can get onto it and I can enter my subjects but it wont let me put my marks in...and when i clicked submit results, even tho i didnt have any in there...it gave me a UAI of 99.95 lol...and warned me that I had less than 10 units, even tho I have 12...

Do...needless to say...i'm very confused...it seems to be a 2004 thing... am I looking in the right place?

Maybe you guys can help me out a little:

Subject: Trial Mark: Final Rank:
Adv english 94% 2
Ext 1 english 88% 2
Ext 2 english(ass. mark) 94% 1
Modern History 80% 3
Ancietn History 78% 2
Art 93% 1
Drama: 88% 1

My family are eagerly andicipating a result and i dont want to get their hopes up...do you guys have any idea at all???????

Greatly appreciated :) thanx

fruitarian

HSC
OK peoples this SAM thing has done nothing but confused me :) I can get onto it and I can enter my subjects but it wont let me put my marks in...and when i clicked submit results, even tho i didnt have any in there...it gave me a UAI of 99.95 lol...and warned me that I had less than 10 units, even tho I have 12...

Do...needless to say...i'm very confused...it seems to be a 2004 thing... am I looking in the right place?

Maybe you guys can help me out a little:

Subject, Trial Mark, Final Rank:
Adv english, 94%, 2
Ext 1 english, 88%, 2
Ext 2 english(ass. mark), 94%, 1
Modern History, 80%, 3
Ancietn History, 78%, 2
Art, 93%, 1
Drama, 88%, 1

My family are eagerly andicipating a result and i dont want to get their hopes up...do you guys have any idea at all???????

Greatly appreciated :) thanx

BTW: my school is inside the top 100...traditionally we get people in the top 10 of the state for history...dunno if that makes a difference

HSC
Sanchez__ said:
The way I attempted to predict my aligned marks is both from how people (mainly my brother who did similar subjects to me) in previous years at my school went with similar ranks as well as the percentiles which you can look at on SAM. You will have to investigate your own school if your interested but you probably cant if you dont have a brother or someone easy to compare to. So for the percentiles, for example, in english if you have a fairly good rank in your school and think you might be about top 7% of the state adjust your aligned mark until it says in the state percentile 'top 7%' which is an aligned mark of 90. Do that for each of your subjects then submit to get a decent idea of what your uai might be like.

I suppose a good way to estimate your percentile is to see what your rank turned out to be in your school. So if your coming 7th out of 100 then probably about 7th percentile, although for selective school might be higher or worse if your school isnt so great.

Having said that if you dont understand aligned marks my understanding is:
As others said it is a combination of your exam mark and assesment mark in 50/50 ratio. So if you get 90 in exam and 80 in assessment then 85 aligned mark.

Exam mark is based on how well you did in the HSC exam only. The assessment mark is based on your assessment mark from school. It does not matter what the actial marks your school gives you are but rather I think they average your schools exam marks to find out how school is. They then space the assessment marks with the same spacing that your school gave you. So the first person gets the best exam mark from yoru school as assessment mark. If the person that comes second is very close then their assessment mark is very close but if they were a long way behind in assessments then their assessment mark from board of studies is a long way behind.

To entre your aligned marks into SAM though you dont really need to worry about that. You should generally have a certain level of academic prowess and if nothing out of the ordinary happens that is how you will go so if you can work out how good you are then put in some marks according to that you should get a fairly accurate approximation of how you will go.
Errrmmm...Thanks for the essay but no- you're totaly wrong.....

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
anthony vuong1 said:
Errrmmm...Thanks for the essay but no- you're totaly wrong.....
One issue that I have to bring up:
Sanchez__ said:
Exam mark is based on how well you did in the HSC exam only.
The HSC exam mark is based on how well you do in the HSC exam. Makes your point invalid. Also, tell us what is wrong and what is correct, instead of making statements with absolutely no proof.

williamc

HSC
lewdogs said:
umm well if you stick to consistant work ethics like that then no... maybe a 60? if lucky. for everyone hoping for a UAI over 90, just think to yourself am i doing better than 90% of the state? the answers most probably no. of course thats not to say you will go poorly as most people on this site use it because they are focused and want to achieve a good UAI. lets be realistic dont expect much more than low 80's if your not consistantly getting 87+ in your assesment marks
16% of the state scored a UAI over 90, and around 30% score over 80. You can score 50% all year internally rank first, own the hsc exams and get a UAI of 100.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
lewdogs said:
like someone said: that's rubbish.

think that for yourself maybe, but i wouldn't speak for "everyone" - 10% of the state HAS TO GET above 90, what makes you think ppl on this board won't?

also remember, you might get 100% in a school ranked 450, or you might get 65% in james ruse. according to your theory, the person from james ruse wouldn't be up for more than a low 80s...? i think not.

SoulSearcher

HSC
-pari- said:
like someone said: that's rubbish.

think that for yourself maybe, but i wouldn't speak for "everyone" - 10% of the state HAS TO GET above 90, what makes you think ppl on this board won't?

also remember, you might get 100% in a school ranked 450, or you might get 65% in james ruse. according to your theory, the person from james ruse wouldn't be up for more than a low 80s...? i think not.
More nearer to 16% then 10% as pointed above, but yeah, pretty much the gist of it.

stressmonster

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What exactly is the schools role in the moderating process - do they just provide the rankings and raw assessment marks and the BOS does the rest or are the schools responsible for actually allocating the pooled exam marks in accordance to the rankings ? Also is it the same for the UAI - is this just determined by UAC or do the schools play any part ?
Thanks

SoulSearcher

HSC
stressmonster said:
What exactly is the schools role in the moderating process - do they just provide the rankings and raw assessment marks and the BOS does the rest or are the schools responsible for actually allocating the pooled exam marks in accordance to the rankings ? Also is it the same for the UAI - is this just determined by UAC or do the schools play any part ?
Thanks
The schools just provide the rankings and raw assessment marks to the BoS for the moderating bit. Schools do not play any part in the UAI calculations, I think.

anderu

HSC
oh man!!

been getting average all year and I suck at English and I really wanna get above 95 UAI

only hope is the HSC now...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
^ youve still got time, so dont give up hope yet and just do the best you can.
what you wanna do in uni?

anderu

HSC
lol yeah i know im putting all my faith and hope into the Final HSC Exam gotta believe in the system

thinking of doing Biomed Eng or Adv Sci at USYD and those are around 95

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lol i used to want to do biomed eng , but then yeah , it was a short phase and i got over it again :p

lifesucks

Nerd And Proud of It
HSC
so much information...

my teacher said our trials are as hard as the actual hsc exams, so can I just take the trial hsc exams as the aligned marks that i enter? it reflects how well im basically gonna do, right?

Chanpion

HSC
i reckon that we study better for the hsc and hence the 'easier' than trials thing.

WOOT! first post in yonks in any forums!! :bomb:

cmacd

HSC
if anyones out there. if im in the top 15 for most of my subjects that should mean i get in band 5 for my assesment mark roughly right? ie 80-90?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
no, just because youre in top 15 for most of your subjects, it doesnt mean youll get a band 5 for your assessment mark. What determines the mark you get is how well your cohort does in each subject, so if everyone rips the externals, then a band 6 would be a possibility. Conversely, if everyone does shit, then expect your assessment to be pulled down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)