How do we determine our aligned marks? (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
its just a hypothesis that could happen either way.

auraflux7

HSC
Ancient history: Assessment Rank = 2/7 Course Mark = 55%
IPT: Assessment Rank = 4/8 Course Mark = 50%
General Mathematics: Assessment Rank = 13/21 Course Mark = 45%
English Advanced: Assessment Rank = 7/14 Course Mark = 57%
Business Studies: Assessment Rank = 2/13 Course Mark = 74%
Legal Studies: Assessment Rank = 4/8 Course Mark = 66%

well those are my results lol so do any of you more experienced people know what the likely raw final H.S.C exam mark will be required for me to get a 65 UAI???

does it really matter what assessment mark i get or is the rank whats important??

thanks guys... best wishes

anthropoestin

HSC
Here's how it goes:

Your school submits your rank in each course and all the ranks of the other students in that course.

You all sit your HSC exams. The exam mark you receive is your HSC exam mark.

You then receive (roughly) the HSC exam mark of the person who performed in the exams the rank that you did in internal assessment. This mark becomes your HSC assessment marks. These are moderated by BOS. These are given to you.

Your final HSC mark is the average of your HSC exam mark and your HSC assessment mark. You receive all 3 marks on the results page. Your band is determined by your mark. Band 5 is an HSC mark of 80-90 and Band 6 from 90-100. This HSC mark is then scaled (to a number you are never shown) by UAC and your HSC RANK (NB it is not a mark) is provided.

Example:

I come 3rd in English and Mr Smith finishes 10th in English at the end of the year:

I sit my HSC exam and receive a mark of 94.

Mr Smith sits his exam and received a mark of 98. This is the 3rd best mark in the exams out of my course.

I therefore (roughly) am given his 98 for my HSC assessment mark. I keep my 94 for my HSC exam mark.

My HSC mark is then 94 + 99 divided by 2 (i.e. the average) = 96

This is my unscaled HSC mark: 96. This is Band 6. I will never know what it is scaled to.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
anthropoestin said:
Here's how it goes:

Your school submits your rank in each course and all the ranks of the other students in that course.

You all sit your HSC exams. The exam mark you receive is your HSC exam mark.

You then receive (roughly) the HSC exam mark of the person who performed in the exams the rank that you did in internal assessment. This mark becomes your HSC assessment marks. These are moderated by BOS. These are given to you.

Your final HSC mark is the average of your HSC exam mark and your HSC assessment mark. You receive all 3 marks on the results page. Your band is determined by your mark. Band 5 is an HSC mark of 80-90 and Band 6 from 90-100. This HSC mark is then scaled (to a number you are never shown) by UAC and your HSC RANK (NB it is not a mark) is provided.

Example:

I come 3rd in English and Mr Smith finishes 10th in English at the end of the year:

I sit my HSC exam and receive a mark of 94.

Mr Smith sits his exam and received a mark of 98. This is the 3rd best mark in the exams out of my course.

I therefore (roughly) am given his 98 for my HSC assessment mark. I keep my 94 for my HSC exam mark.

My HSC mark is then 94 + 99 divided by 2 (i.e. the average) = 96

This is my unscaled HSC mark: 96. This is Band 6. I will never know what it is scaled to.
So, for this example, do u and "Mr Smith" go to the same school? If so, does this mean ur school assessment marks dont matter anymore, only the school ranks? And once ranks are decided, they are used for equating the exam marks of the various students....?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only struggling to understand this even after having it explained dozens of times, so thanks to anyone who actually knows and can help.

EDIT: And another thing, this may sound stupid, but what if ur at a small/pathetic school and come first in a subject with crap marks such as 50%, and then somehow ace the exam and get high 90's - does this mean that ur assessment mark is aligned to the "high 90's" mark and so by doing well in only one assesment you get a brilliant HSC mark?

Last edited:

rheyn

HSC
What the hell!? According to the SAM Physics scales better than Chemistry which is obviously wrong.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
So, for this example, do u and "Mr Smith" go to the same school? If so, does this mean ur school assessment marks dont matter anymore, only the school ranks? And once ranks are decided, they are used for equating the exam marks of the various students....?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only struggling to understand this even after having it explained dozens of times, so thanks to anyone who actually knows and can help.

EDIT: And another thing, this may sound stupid, but what if ur at a small/pathetic school and come first in a subject with crap marks such as 50%, and then somehow ace the exam and get high 90's - does this mean that ur assessment mark is aligned to the "high 90's" mark and so by doing well in only one assesment you get a brilliant HSC mark?
yeah ur one the right track,
the ranks are the MAIN thing that matters but the differences in marks can be taken into account if sometihngs too different, and yes if u come first in a crap school and do badly but ace the HSC u will get a brilliant hsc mark

dp624

HSC
What the hell!? According to the SAM Physics scales better than Chemistry which is obviously wrong.
well this year, all the aligned marks in chemistry were a bit higher than normal, and phys had slightly lower aligned marks in total, which means it might appear to scale less well compared to other years

jenna2731

HSC
How do you get into SAM?

I dont have a clue on how to get into SAM. Can some one give me page directions?
x

greengoop

HSC
So your HSC mark always gets scaled down. Like, if all my assesment averages are 60's, and i get 80's and 90's in my hsc, then im fucked. I dont like the sounds of it.
Watever happened to hsc marks getting scaled up. Like, my sisters 2 unit mark was scaled up to about 70 from a fail, in her hsc. And she had done pretty crap all year.
*SIGH* your aligned mark is determined by 50% your HSC mark and 50% your school mark although in reality its more like 70% HSC mark.

Your school mark is converted to a rank when it is submitted to the BOS. So lets say you come 5th in your class your school mark will become the 5th highest HSC mark from your class in that subject and your HSC mark is just what you get in the HSC exam.

This means if your school did a good job all that matters is your HSC mark because statistically you should get the same rank in your class in the HSC as over all this is rarely the case (except for the people coming 1st and 2nd). Generally whatever you get in the HSC is usually fiarly close to what you will get for your aligned mark.

It doesn't matter what your school mark is if its 20/100 and you come first and the top mark from your school in a subject is 90 then your school mark will be 90.

It is therefore impossible to accurately determine your aligned mark until after you have got your HSC results back (at which point you get your aligned mark anyway). If you really want to know get a past HSC paper do it and get it marked by your teacher and use that as your aligned mark although teachers are generally pretty nazi with the marking when they are doing past papers compared to the actual HSC you might want to take that into account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)