How do you beat naturally smart people? (1 Viewer)

Kuromitsu

HSC
Let me start of by wishing everyone the very best of luck for the upcoming years, especially you 10'ers! (Hope the first term assessments are going well:cool:)

As the title suggests, how do you beat those naturally smart people? Weird and abstract question, i know but still i can't emphasize my frustration but it's not like i hate them or anything. For example, in the Maths Ext II test that i've done for this term this guy in my grade, obviously brilliant...he ranks 1 in most subjects and probably his worst rank would be in the 10's but that's Studies of Religion..no one really cares about that:p (no offense to you religo's out there :p) So anyway, he is a really bright student, he walks into the exam and tops it beating me and the rest of the guys in 4U by about minimum 5 marks; which i think, is a lot.

It's not like i don't study, because i do about 4 hours every night and a bit in the morning during exam period but not now..i've really relaxed these past days since i'm off for christmas holidays in a few days. (OH YEAH!) Yeah, so anyone have past experiences or related stories? I'm sure in most schools there has to be a genius raping every subject! I'd just like advice on how to chop him in half (mark-wise ofcourse >;D)!

Thankyou! (my bad if this post is in the wrong section or too long:angry:)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
There's no way mate. I was born knowing the Extension II Maths syllabus (as it was injected into me previous to my conpception). And haven't been out ranked since. Wish you the best with your studies.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
You're doing 4u.

When I look up from 2U I too wonder how I can ever beat naturally smart people in 4U. Prehaps this bright guy feels the same way as you when he look up to someone else.

Kat92

HSC
Let me start of by wishing everyone the very best of luck for the upcoming years, especially you 10'ers! (Hope the first term assessments are going well:cool:)

As the title suggests, how do you beat those naturally smart people? Weird and abstract question, i know but still i can't emphasize my frustration but it's not like i hate them or anything. For example, in the Maths Ext II test that i've done for this term this guy in my grade, obviously brilliant...he ranks 1 in most subjects and probably his worst rank would be in the 10's but that's Studies of Religion..no one really cares about that:p (no offense to you religo's out there :p) So anyway, he is a really bright student, he walks into the exam and tops it beating me and the rest of the guys in 4U by about minimum 5 marks; which i think, is a lot.

It's not like i don't study, because i do about 4 hours every night and a bit in the morning during exam period but not now..i've really relaxed these past days since i'm off for christmas holidays in a few days. (OH YEAH!) Yeah, so anyone have past experiences or related stories? I'm sure in most schools there has to be a genius raping every subject! I'd just like advice on how to chop him in half (mark-wise ofcourse >;D)!

Thankyou! (my bad if this post is in the wrong section or too long:angry:)

With perseverance, an attitude to do well, comittment, study with breaks in between, treating yourself to rewards, talking to others about the subject, heaps of practice, note taking and asking for clarification if there is a concept that is causing extreme difficulty. And heck if you still can't beat them, you know that you gave everything your best shot; so there is no real need to be disappointed and force yourself to the point of having a burn out! :)

Kuromitsu

HSC
With perseverance, an attitude to do well, comittment, study with breaks in between, treating yourself to rewards, talking to others about the subject, heaps of practice, note taking and asking for clarification if there is a concept that is causing extreme difficulty. And heck if you still can't beat them, you know that you gave everything your best shot; so there is no real need to be disappointed and force yourself to the point of having a burn out! :)
Thankyou. Probably, the best actual answer thus far. (Not to say the others didn't help..maybe they were...blatantly obvious????:angel:) Yeah, i do try hard though, he is just extremely hard to beat.. and the only subjected i've beaten him in is English but he beats me overall :angry:

adriano_negr0

HSC
Just study harder and smarter (I'm the biggest hypocrit)
But yer buy all the 4unit textbooks and do as many questions and past papers as u can

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Find the subject that you are naturally talented in and stop being obsessed with the marks of others?

Dx_God

HSC
basically everything comes down to concepts. though u might have spent double or triple the time compared to some so called smart guy but u don't necessarily have a better concept and understanding. this is due to the fact of how u study. doing 10hrs of questions a day basically gives u nothing rather than probably precision and u are highly likely to forget about the stuff after a week. while u could have really just used 1 hr and focused on reading through the book over and over and doing a few questions and it will be good enough (all sample questions+3 harder questions are good enough). also u should try summarising. the shorter it is the better and eventually u should be able to just write basic definitions down as you should know how to derive everything and significantly reduces the amount of stuff u have to memorise. this also helps when ur revising for a test since u only need like 2hrs to revise the whole course while some other guy has to use several days. also if u are good enough (good concept) then u can link topics together and u'll realise that u can use stuffs from another topic in the topic ur doing and everything becomes easy after that. and yea believe in ur self that ur smart and u can do well and have confidence in ur self when ur doing a question because often it depends on who ever have the guts to go for it. but normally if u lack in confidence in the topic then u will probably be telling urself to give up before u actually attempt the question or u do attempt but thinking that u are not going to get it. finally, don't spend like 5+hrs a day studying because its just going to give u alot of pressure and stress which can significantly reduces the effectiveness of ur studying and in some severe cases it will basically make u just totally give up on a course or give up studying. and u will still need relaxation and enjoyment since life is not just about studying

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^
That was one of the most difficult things i have tried to read in a while =s

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't leave it till it's too late... if you're thinking of beating 'naturally smart' people, your work ethic would've had to developed early..

by early, i mean like year 8-9.. and ot 11-12

a lot of people think i'm "naturally smart" at mathematics.. or well, Asians in general, quite false: we work our buttocks off

its necessary that you instil a work ethic early on.. of course it's never too late though

duckcowhybrid

HSC
If he works and he's smarter than you there's no way. If he doesn't, work harder. Otherwise find your pet subject. Mine is Eco, I can even match crazy hardworking geniuses (the 99.95 types) with minimal effort. Everything else though they kinda smash me (except English).

Tangent

HSC
dont be so worried about the guy in your class. focus more on yourself, and achieving your personal best. think of him as a goal, and use competition as motivation.

in the end you are up against everyone in nsw, so the best concept is focusing more on what you are doing than what others are doing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)