How do you cool your computer (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
aight i am about to upgrade my computer, and i never bothered to pay attension to any special cooling, and never OC. but this time i wanna experiment with that. so i was thinking of buying some fans , heatsink etc.

i am interested what u guys have at the moment

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
SashatheMan said:
so i was thinking of buying some fans , heatsink etc.
water or liquid nitrogen cooling etc

nwatts

HSC
At the moment I have my deskfan sitting next to my PC, with the side of my case off. A few days before summer begins my videocard fan decides to die. Then, a few days later, northbridge fan goes. Huzzah for christmas and economic death.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I tried to play around with fans, if you're up for inexpensive, but noisy cooling, the 80mm generic fans are alright, but the 120mm ones are quieter and usually more effective ive found.

Water cooling is expensive, but delivers quiet and lower temps. There are several kits around now which range from the easy to install to the insanely difficult puzzles.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
install air-conditioning in your room.

open your case.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
install air-conditioning in your room.

open your case.
ROFL that is what my cousin did when his liquid cooling system failed. (Although he already had the air con in his room in the right spot, so he just had to open the case to let all that pretty dust in... >_>)

As for me- I put a small fan in my study to cool down the router + desktop, and in my bedroom (upstairs) I got an air con installed about 6 months ago, and that's when I decided to leave my laptop upstairs most of the time now.... but with all that heat it could still spoil my computer ><

(NB. my PC's aren't heavily modified/overclocked)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
i just stand next to it, and my coolness will cool the computer :rolleyes:

nah i use fans, there is a 80x60mm heatsink for my cpu and i'm using an 80mm fan for it.

That just means you can only use 2 screws to secure the fan and have the left-over of the fan outside the heatsink.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Nothing fancy, CPU cooled by a Zalman CNPS7000AlCu, stock video card cooler from Gainward, and stock case fans on Thermaltake Tsunami.

majin_boy

HSC
besides spending $$ on a Liquid Nitrogen or Liquid Oxygen cooling system, just get yourself a decent Peltier cooler capable of dissapating atleast 100 - 150 W.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
To use a peltier to remove 150W of heat the peltier itself will produce 300+W of heat. Not exactly easy.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Nothing fancy, CPU cooled by a Zalman CNPS7000AlCu, stock video card cooler from Gainward, and stock case fans on Thermaltake Tsunami.

that fan looks good. in your opinion does it do a good job for you?

7th Sign

HSC
just got hooked up with a big ass heatsink, and a few big dog fans...

cools very nice

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
AntiHyper said:
i just stand next to it, and my coolness will cool the computer :rolleyes:
Dude you are so lucky. When I stand next to my computer it just heats up- 'coz i'm such a hot guy.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The Zalman CNPS7000AlCu does a decent job, although my P4 3.2GHz Prescott will still go into thermal throttling on hot days (2 copies of Prime95 running at all times, plus case fans not at max speed). The design is excellent but it is somewhat outdated, having been first superceded by the 7700, a larger 120mm version, and now by the 9500, with a new heatpipe system.

If you like the design, get the CNPS9500. It might be a bit more costly, but is much more efficient at the same speed. So far all the reviews have been positive. And this is one of the quieter series, even at max fan speed there isn't much noise.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Most of the time it's the hot air inside the case that needs to be ventilated or have a funnel to make sure that the heatsink wont have to choke on its own heat.

I cut out a piece of paper and place it so the air coming out from the heatsink would head straight to my exhaust fans.

seremify007 said:
When I stand next to my computer it just heats up- 'coz i'm such a hot guy.
hehe that works too

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
The Zalman CNPS7000AlCu does a decent job, although my P4 3.2GHz Prescott will still go into thermal throttling on hot days (2 copies of Prime95 running at all times, plus case fans not at max speed). The design is excellent but it is somewhat outdated, having been first superceded by the 7700, a larger 120mm version, and now by the 9500, with a new heatpipe system.

If you like the design, get the CNPS9500. It might be a bit more costly, but is much more efficient at the same speed. So far all the reviews have been positive. And this is one of the quieter series, even at max fan speed there isn't much noise.
what type of tests do people carry out to decide what model of heatsink/fan is better? it needs a pretty accurate way i am guessing

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SashatheMan said:
what type of tests do people carry out to decide what model of heatsink/fan is better? it needs a pretty accurate way i am guessing
Basically running the same system with different CPUs to see which is cooler. There are some variations which could see one heatsink better than another in one test and reversed results in another, but in general order from comparisons in the same system will hold in most other systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)