How much does uni count? (1 Viewer)

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
How much does uni count when you go apply for your 'first' job once you have finished the degree? :confused:

In other words, does it matter what uni you go to?

Thanks in advance

lvella10

HSC
From what I've been told law and business degrees it can matter greatly .. Not sure about other courses .. Nursing and medicine most definitely not

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
depends on what job you are going for
Yeah, someone told me it also depends what uni the interviewer got graduated from, so say, I finish my engineering degree from UNSW and the guy interviewing me also gradated from UNSW, he would know what knowledge and skills do I have and shit

lvella10

HSC
My year 11 engineering studies teacher said there is some employers whom simply turn their nose up at certain universities ( namely uws and smaller minority universities ) .. Primarily however, he also stated that it really shouldn't be a hindrance in obtaining employment .. But who knows, employers aren't always objective

lvella10

HSC
If it helps I know quite a few civil engineers as well as water specifications engineers and for the most part they all went to quite a variety of different universities .. All seem pretty successful and obviously happily employed :)

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
If it helps I know quite a few civil engineers as well as water specifications engineers and for the most part they all went to quite a variety of different universities .. All seem pretty successful and obviously happily employed :)
Yeah it is only the first job where your uni is involved, after that, it is your work experience that counts.

HSC
it's like your atar

it might hamper you for your first job, but as soon as you get work exp, no one cares about your degree anymore, it becomes superceded

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The short answer is no - the university you go to shouldn't matter. If you look at graduate employment statistics, the employment rates would be similar for most universities. I would be surprise to find one university having a significantly lower employment rate for graduates compared to the rest.

is a roflcopter
HSC
all other things being equal, it counts for a fuck load.

I disagree with Mr Survivor - i dont have the emperical stats for unemployment rate differences between uni's, but what is clear is the "percieved quality" of the jobs obtain by graduates from different universities. ie, UNSW and Random University, lets call them UWS for example, might have 85% employment rate each for their engineering graduates. However, the graduates from UNSW are going to BHP, RIO, Transfield, etc, etc, while the UWS graduates might go to like KFC and Pizzahut. Thats why a lot of universities also measure starting salaries as a benchmark.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
of all the graduate programs I've applied for, none of them ever had name of uni as one of the objective selection criteria they used so

is a roflcopter
HSC
of all the graduate programs I've applied for, none of them ever had name of uni as one of the objective selection criteria they used so
Why would they ever write that? and do you seriously believe that?

is a roflcopter
HSC
Do you seriously believe they'd break the law to take uni name into account? (for Government jobs)
so naive

and wtf government jobs? sorry i dont want to be paid 45k a year for the rest of my life

ting89

Banned
HSC
so naive

and wtf government jobs? sorry i dont want to be paid 45k a year for the rest of my life
You'd be VERY surprised at how well government jobs pay! Especially when job security is taken into account

is a roflcopter
HSC
You'd be VERY surprised at how well government jobs pay! Especially when job security is taken into account
no i dont get surprised about government pay. and no it doesnt pay well.... unless you take bribes! yes thats the way

TheBloop

HSC
no i dont get surprised about government pay. and no it doesnt pay well.... unless you take bribes! yes thats the way
All the benefits and stuff are really great though.

Have you ever had anyone in your family work in a government job? They're pretty gr8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)