How much have you written so far? Freaking a little. (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Don't worry guys. I began writing about a month before my trials and i did perfectly fine. Its not the end of the world. Not by a long shot.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
How's everyone's drafts going...?
I have 3000~ words but I'm freaking out a bit because the writing feels a bit stilted.
Are you nearly finished a draft? Nearly started? I need a reference point ;__;
ok so apparently im hating on everyone who has ACTUALLY STARTED WRITING ALREADY!?!? wtf??! psyche down guys!!! i've only just got a reasonable grasp of my idea let alone anything else!! i CANNOT believe people have done drafts and are all worried about whether they've done enough??! dear me...

Freckles14

HSC
ok so apparently im hating on everyone who has ACTUALLY STARTED WRITING ALREADY!?!? wtf??! psyche down guys!!! i've only just got a reasonable grasp of my idea let alone anything else!! i CANNOT believe people have done drafts and are all worried about whether they've done enough??! dear me...
I completely agree with you :D and am in the same boat. The only thing I've written are emails to my teacher, lines that pop into my head and some vague notes in my journal.

As for everyone else... I'm sure you're stressed about it and everything, but it's kind of intimidating to come online and see that people in our own year are thinking "OMG, I only have 3000 words!". :| Your ... motivation seems like the wrong word, but anyway ... scares me.

But yeah, props to you if you're that enthusiastic.

Last edited:

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I don't mean to be intimidating! :uhoh:
Everybody works at a different rate- I have 4000 now but I probably won't write anymore for a month or two..
I may have seemed like I was boasting, but I'm sure not trying to- just wanted some more short story writers to talk to, because there's only one other girl writing a story in my class :)

Freckles14

HSC
dizzyizzy:

No, it's not you personally! I probably take it that way because I only started the course on the last day of Term 4, so I already feel like I'm behind!

I'll be working at a crazy pace too once I've got my idea solid in my mind (and the plot skeleton down on paper)! And no, it doesn't seem like you're boasting.

Only one other short story writer? That's so strange... I would have thought it'd be more. But hey, I can't talk - I'm the only writer in my class, full stop. :)

diametric

HSC
1500 here. I don't think the word count is very important unless you keep writing, you'd be surprised how quickly it shoots up. I started writing it, perhaps, the beginning of this week, and have only been editing/changing a character right now, so its been stagnant for a few days, but mostly due to writing the Proposal, nowish.

As long as you have a BEGINNING you like, a proper idea of where it's all going to lead, and just maybe an end in sight, the rest will come. And then the first draft will be altered constantly, evolving as your research is expounded upon, and become far more sophisticated.

I've only just started writing my settled idea (i've tossed between about four now, written stuff for all), and my initial simple Dark Romantic/Social satire of man and woman in society, has now been altered into Dark Romantic/Social Satire/Lesbian lead/Homosexual Prejudices/Social Psychology/Burning at the Stake... and I've only really researched Dark Romanticism and Homosexual prejudice as of yet. All the gay lit., psych. texbooks, salem witch burnings, social satires I've to read and read upon is simply daunting.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
yeah this thread is making me feel guilty, like i should probably be doing some extension 2 work instead of browsing bored of studies...
need idea development and some serious research underway before i can even think about starting to write, so still no idea what the people with "only 4000 words" are worried about haha.

agua.fuego

HSC
I've just started and am on a complete mental blank!! I'm feeling exactly the same about all this.

Maybe someone else is like me, or a lot of people are, but before I dreaded keeping the journal, and now I'm finding it more fun than the actual story. I like the idea of my story. How to get it across...

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
I've just started and am on a complete mental blank!! I'm feeling exactly the same about all this.

Maybe someone else is like me, or a lot of people are, but before I dreaded keeping the journal, and now I'm finding it more fun than the actual story. I like the idea of my story. How to get it across...
EXACTLY!! If only my major work could just be handing in my journal. i can write in it for agesss - anything to put off actual story work!

agua.fuego

HSC
EXACTLY!! If only my major work could just be handing in my journal. i can write in it for agesss - anything to put off actual story work!
That would make my day. I know how I want to start it, vaguely how to end. But the middle? Ummm... *flees*
But the journal's so much more fun! Mine is just random scribblings which have something to do with my work, but not you know, formally written. Therefore I like it a lottttt more.
On writing styles - is it a problem if you've gone a bit more dialogue-y based? Mine's character-driven if that helps my cause any. I just like dialogue. And first person.

cole-

HSC
N/A
Yeah the journal work is fun
but i love writing
i just need to get in the flow

i just think that the markers are going to hate it...
its fantasy-legend based
.. i already feel as if people are going to be biased...
its deeper than just fantasy, i suppose. there's murder and adultery etc
but its not about politics or anything
theres one girl in my class doing an analytical response to political journalism
im freaking out just a little.

reading about people's "ive only done 4000 words" is freaking me out
isnt the limit 8000??
THATS HALF A DRAFT ALREADY
..-hyperventilate-

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Are you kidding? I hate Journal work. I can't really bear the thought of actually sending off something that's not moderately formal (and is so raw) for marking. I find it extremely hard to be completely creative in a book that I know is possibly going to be read by a random old HSC marker somewhere. (I say old because for some reason when I think of EE2 markers I form an image in my mind of balding old men sitting by open fireplaces in large red armchairs. I know, I need to be disillusioned.)

Handing in the finished story and reflection statement is OK because it first gives me time to edit/revise my work until my heart's content. But writing in the journal is just like exposing myself and somehow it makes me uncomfortable to think some random marker may read it. But I guess that's SUPPOSED to be the point of the journal, to expose us enough to make sure what we say is real.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
But really the chances of that balding old marker by the fireplace of reading your journal are very very slim.
They only look at your journal if there are some inconsistencies or things they want to check.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
But really the chances of that balding old marker by the fireplace of reading your journal are very very slim.
They only look at your journal if there are some inconsistencies or things they want to check.
I know that, but slim or not the chance is there.

ixswans

HSC
I've written the first perspective introduction to my story, I've just been collecting information & working out language issues (my short story is set in early 20th century - language needs to be right so it sounds authentic) so far.

I feel as though I should finish it early because I have History Extension to worry about as well.. talk about footnoting.. libraries have become my best friends <3

cole-

HSC
N/A
I don't know... I enjoy doinjg the journal work. I suppose I forget about he fact that people are going to read it
Although my handwriting is so bad in some parts... mostly due to middle of the night random idea chains.
:p

I'm looking forward to submitting the final project.
Idk why im so excited about it

whee

agua.fuego

HSC
I'm excited about submitting it, because by then it'll hopefully be awesome. At the moment, I'm liking it, which in itself is a miracle. I generally don't like things I write until I've edited heaps.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
finished my first draft yay. I agree about the journal, i love doing journal work (except the bibliography in correct manner or whatever it is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)