How much hours are you studying a day? (1 Viewer)

Annihilist

HSC
"Study" is such an arbitrary term. It always seems to be measured in quantities. As though "study = good", & "more study = better".

NajaKaja

HSC
If homework counts as study I can do up to 4 hours... In terms of actually reading through notes and writing down study notes...nothing. I worry about that towards the exams.

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
I study for Chem and MX1/MT throughout the term, and the rest towards exam time (3wk before).

They are my two hardest subjects, so it kinda makes sense?

deliciouscake

HSC
i study from 6pm to 12am sometimes 1am - but in between that includes dinner which is like 30 minutes and a crap load of procrastination which is probably a good 2 hours, so I guess I do a solid either 3 hours or 4 at max :)

dr cookie

HSC
At the risk of sounding absolutely stupid, we had half yearlies in Wk9 right (Wk10 for EXT) and I can pretty honestly say that 95% of my study was done the weekends before/nights before the exams/afternoon sessions where I had no exam. The only notes I wrote beforehand were Ancient in Week2 and Economics in Week 3, where I was 100% committed to receiving good results. I've got 3 exams back and have received pretty decent results (except maths, which I've almost decided I'm dropping to go to general). Extension to come via email sometime these holidays.

Is BoS populated with extremely dedicated/committed people and I'm just the lost sheep? Thanks folks.

deswa1

HSC
At the risk of sounding absolutely stupid, we had half yearlies in Wk9 right (Wk10 for EXT) and I can pretty honestly say that 95% of my study was done the weekends before/nights before the exams/afternoon sessions where I had no exam. The only notes I wrote beforehand were Ancient in Week2 and Economics in Week 3, where I was 100% committed to receiving good results. I've got 3 exams back and have received pretty decent results (except maths, which I've almost decided I'm dropping to go to general). Extension to come via email sometime these holidays.

Is BoS populated with extremely dedicated/committed people and I'm just the lost sheep? Thanks folks.
Look, the people here are more dedicated than average but you just have to do what works for you. In prelim, I started studying about a week before exams and I did well so obviously that worked for me. Don't focus on hours, focus on understanding everything.

zombies

HSC

Yup there's quite a few. However, I'm sure you're not alone.

dr cookie

HSC
Look, the people here are more dedicated than average but you just have to do what works for you. In prelim, I started studying about a week before exams and I did well so obviously that worked for me. Don't focus on hours, focus on understanding everything.
That's the thing; I didn't do enough study to KNOW if I understood everything... if that makes sense? For maths especially, I skimmed through the ChReviews, getting most Q's wrong, and then just assumed I'd be sweet?!

But I completely agree with the time; some people "study for 6 hours a night", but whether it is SMART studying, or useless study is the point. Furthermore, 6 sounds a bit of a stretch (include procrastination, eating, etc etc).

I suppose it's a learning experience for '13!

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
That's the thing; I didn't do enough study to KNOW if I understood everything... if that makes sense? For maths especially, I skimmed through the ChReviews, getting most Q's wrong, and then just assumed I'd be sweet?!

But I completely agree with the time; some people "study for 6 hours a night", but whether it is SMART studying, or useless study is the point. Furthermore, 6 sounds a bit of a stretch (include procrastination, eating, etc etc).

I suppose it's a learning experience for '13!
Understanding a topic can take a while but the more you work at it, the better you'll get at it without a doubt. Things you can do to help your understanding: ask your teacher for help, read different textbooks, look at online resources, get a tutor, ask a friend, past papers, etc.
But again, its year 11 so don't be worried too much about how much proper study time your getting done. When it starts to come to half yearlies and such, 6 hours straight without procrastination is very much possible. You are correct though in saying there is a difference between productive studying and non-productive studying. Its what you get done at the end of the day, not how long you spent doing it.
But you are right, there are all the things you work out in prelim. You work out where you study best - your room or a library; when you study best - the morning, at night; how you study best - reading the textbook, making notes and reading/writing/reciting them. Just keep working at it and stay optimistic :) It'll all work out!

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Is it better to use notes made by other students or write my own?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Write your own.

But don't put too much effort into making them nice etc or else you will end up getting lazy and just using other people's notes.

premskies

HSC
definitely write your own. you will never quite know your work to your maximum potential without doing it yourself. despite this, of course you can integrate various sources of information to conduct your personal notes. through making your own notes, you'll also find that there are certain things/words/diagrams that can trigger memory and help you to learn/retain the content learnt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)