how significant are these early assessments? (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Solid foundation and momentum.

Takuto

HSC
Not really as significant as you may think

Don't be mistaken into thinking that say a 20% assignment will actually be worth 20% towards your final mark (or even 10% split between the HSC for that matter), anyone who said that is wrong. It's theoretically possible to still obtain 100 overall even if you stuff up majorly.

Early assignments could well be worth close to 0%! Why? If you do well in later assignments, your rank will skyrocket. It is the remaining 85% or so that really determines what your final rank will be. If you manage to jump up enough, it is possible to COMPLETELY negate any bad marks from early assessments (which I somehow managed to do for a few of my subjects). Remember that if you obtain a high rank, it doesn't matter that you got 85% in eco, 70% in english (really fucking good marks btw), you wouldn't actually be 'losing' those marks due to the ranking system.

The primary value of high marks in initial assignments only lies in that they are essential for motivation - once you're doing well and on top, you're more likely to want to keep it that way. the actual assessments themselves, contrary to popular belief, will have virtually no effect on your final and scaled overall mark if you are able to pick yourself back up.

The point is, you can do shitzor as hell and still redeem yourself (and more). The only problem is that people get held up by shit marks (and thus get depressed and give up). This is something you've gotta learn - to take the failures or negatives and spin it around into something good. Too many people just go emo after getting bad marks, and this attitude will carry onto uni, relationships, work, etc far beyond the scope of the HSC. Trust me I know a few people who still haven't changed their attitude and I can't see them ever achieving anything in life.

Ultimately, how many successful people do you know that give up after one failure? think about it. In this situation, you owneeed the marks. 70%+ for early assignments is pretty amazing, you aren't far behind and you're in a good position to do some big jumps in the h/y and trials. I got around 50% for some early ass', and still managed to come 1st overall after kicking my own arse and using it as motivation. In my case, I got the exact mark of my HSC exam and it affected my UAI (ATAR) by increasing it. amazing, huh?

Last edited:

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

Don't be mistaken into thinking that say a 20% assignment will actually be worth 20% towards your final mark (or even 10% split between the HSC for that matter), anyone who said that is wrong. It's theoretically possible to still obtain 100 overall even if you stuff up majorly.

Early assignments could well be worth close to 0%! Why? If you do well in later assignments, your rank will skyrocket. It is the remaining 85% or so that really determines what your final rank will be. If you manage to jump up enough, it is possible to COMPLETELY negate any bad marks from early assessments (which I somehow managed to do for a few of my subjects). Remember that if you obtain a high rank, it doesn't matter that you got 85% in eco, 70% in english (really fucking good marks btw), you wouldn't actually be 'losing' those marks due to the ranking system.

The primary value of high marks in initial assignments only lies in that they are essential for motivation - once you're doing well and on top, you're more likely to want to keep it that way. the actual assessments themselves, contrary to popular belief, will have virtually no effect on your final and scaled overall mark if you are able to pick yourself back up.

The point is, you can do shitzor as hell and still redeem yourself (and more). The only problem is that people get held up by shit marks (and thus get depressed and give up). This is something you've gotta learn - to take the failures or negatives and spin it around into something good. Too many people just go emo after getting bad marks, and this attitude will carry onto uni, relationships, work, etc far beyond the scope of the HSC. Trust me I know a few people who still haven't changed their attitude and I can't see them ever achieving anything in life.

Ultimately, how many successful people do you know that give up after one failure? think about it. In this situation, you owneeed the marks. 70%+ for early assignments is pretty amazing, you aren't far behind and you're in a good position to do some big jumps in the h/y and trials. I got around 50% for some early ass', and still managed to come 1st overall after kicking my own arse and using it as motivation. In my case, I got the exact mark of my HSC exam and it affected my UAI (ATAR) by increasing it. amazing, huh?
Great post, its to all those people who bombed out, there is still a chance, repped +1

muhahahahahaha

HSC
thanks for the help guys , really appreciate it. first assessment was today, hope i do well and get a good ranking, for some weird reason even 4u people (which i am happily not a part of) are doing the same maths test as 2u pplz...strange?? :)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
thanks for the help guys , really appreciate it. first assessment was today, hope i do well and get a good ranking, for some weird reason even 4u people (which i am happily not a part of) are doing the same maths test as 2u pplz...strange?? :)
It's just for in case 4u people drop to 3u or 2u.
In the very end, you will be ranked amongst 2u and 3u people.

Dyllip

HSC
Ok so today I did an English Listening Test and I only finished half the test because of endless implications. Firstly, I couldnt understand much of what the aboriginal on the CD was saying. Secondly, I had trouble hearing due to the advanced class's CD being SO LOUD over ours. Thirdly, there was no clock so I could NOT time manage.

Then it turned out the teacher read the sheet wrong in that we had to write notes on the question sheet and put our answers on the lined paper. So I spent like 10 minutes rewriting my answers to the first half of my exam on the designated paper before the time ran out! :O

My question is should I be able to resit the exam or something, coz seriously this is so unfair.

I estimate I will get about 40% and this task was weighted at 15%.

Is this going to fuck up my HSC and ATAR? :mad:

Sorry if this was hard to understand.

0bs3n3

HSC

@ Dyllip ^

Anyway at my school trials are worth about 40%. Half-yearly for maths is 30%. Two other 15%ers

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you drop marks, you drop your aggregate, which drops your ATAR.

Daisuke

HSC
Every assessment is significant. No room for underestimation.

jellybelly59

HSC
Every assessment is significant. No room for underestimation.
+1.

Just cause the early assessments are worth a small percentage doesn't mean they are not important. Like daisuke said - every assessment is significant. A small percentage drop can deprive you of decent internal ranks which will affect your hsc mark. There have been heaps of posters here that say - "it's ok... just do better in your other assessments" and whilst it can be said that you can still push your way back up, it's extremely difficult when everyone is working their ass off to get a decent ATAR and in doing so performing consistently well.

jellybelly59

HSC
Ok so today I did an English Listening Test and I only finished half the test because of endless implications. Firstly, I couldnt understand much of what the aboriginal on the CD was saying. Secondly, I had trouble hearing due to the advanced class's CD being SO LOUD over ours. Thirdly, there was no clock so I could NOT time manage.

Then it turned out the teacher read the sheet wrong in that we had to write notes on the question sheet and put our answers on the lined paper. So I spent like 10 minutes rewriting my answers to the first half of my exam on the designated paper before the time ran out! :O

My question is should I be able to resit the exam or something, coz seriously this is so unfair.

I estimate I will get about 40% and this task was weighted at 15%.

Is this going to fuck up my HSC and ATAR? :mad:

Sorry if this was hard to understand.
Everyone in your class was subjected to the same conditions - i don't see why you guys should be given concessions in such a case.

Dyllip

HSC
Everyone in your class was subjected to the same conditions - i don't see why you guys should be given concessions in such a case.
But others in my class were probably looking at there mobiles for time management, I don't have a mobile or a watch. And the teacher told me to rewrite my answers which probably took up a lot of time I didn't know I could lose When the bell rang I actually thought it was for an assembly until people started getting up :|

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I'll get to complete my paper or not :( Unlikely due to bitchy head teacher.

Btw this is worth 15% and all other assessments for the year including trials is worth 10% besides the other 15% (Viewing and Representing Task). Does that mean it will be a significant burden on my internal mark D:

ilikebeeef

HSC
It's just for in case 4u people drop to 3u or 2u.
In the very end, you will be ranked amongst 2u and 3u people.
Yeah that's right.

The 2U assessments also tend to motivate people to study earlier in advance (because it's the first maths exam, at least that's how it was/is at my school). I tend to find that it helps (to just get the feel of things). Eg. if you are a 4U student and thought the 2U test was hard then it gives the message "you should really really study..." and chances are, the 2U exam won't count so that's cool.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
can we have some real life examples of people that failed their earlier assessments but aced their other assessments, coming top 5 internally overall?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
can we have some real life examples of people that failed their earlier assessments but aced their other assessments, coming top 5 internally overall?
I did this, but in Year 11, not Year 12.
For the 1st assessment tak for chem, I came 15th (research task).
Then I aced others and came 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)