HSC '09- the most paranoid year. (1 Viewer)

jes.h

HSC
i nearly cried when i saw three essays; was freaking out theyd throw in an interview now just have to get over 3u hurdle and no more essays that require analysing xd
+1

pman

Banned
HSC
I almost imploded from anger when i realised they were all essays! I mean, who stupid and straitforward was that!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
The gross paranoia that has swept our cohort has been, in my opinion, mostly due to the overwhelming number of people memorising their essays for English. I will not say this is WRONG, but I do not think it's the best way to learn English either. It's the best way for some people, to beat a test, but otherwise, it's not a learning method that will open people up to variety in answers. People memorising essays will definitely be worried about the potential to have to write in another text type, because it's not what they would have memorised; on the other hand, they may be asked to write about ONE related belonging piece which does not fit the requirements of those memorised essays with TWO relateds. When this memorised, rote learnt treatment of a text is suited to be shorter, to fit a 2-related essay, then there could be trouble. That's why I prefer taking notes, drawing from which whatever I need to answer the questions. But, as they say, each to their own. Other people can't do that, and if they rely on memorisation, that's their prerogative, but I think that's where this paranoia originates, mostly...
However, I think it has also been due to module prescriptions having changed for the first time in 8 years. This is mostly new, except of course some of the critical study texts and some other recycled texts in other modules.
BUT! I've been calmly telling myself that everyone has to do this. Hundreds of thousands have done it before us. People will continue to do it after us.
ROTE learning however, is a significant part of English study. You have to memorise all those techniques and themes buddy!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Don't be scared, the rubric dot points were changed ever so slightly, and by reading between the lines most teachers and members from BOS (I rang the advice line about it, lol) interpreted it to mean less focus on other interpretations, more on your own. That's not to say that you write "I think Hamlet was good cos there was lots of loyalty in it", but simply you discussing what ideas you saw in the play, and thats just an essay, really. So don't stress too much over it. I know of lots of people who incorporated readings and texts and interpretations into theirs. The markers will probably just interpret them as support for your own reflections on the text, which will be of benefit to you because you provided support! So please don't worry, there's nothing you can do now anyway, so feel happy that you've done your best, and study for you next exam :)
That 'ever so slight' rubric change actually changes essentially what they want from you though. Whereas you used to have to evaluate the 'text’s reception in different contexts' (ie. readings), you're now supposed to evaluate the 'text’s language, content and construction'. In other words, less focus on critical readings, more focus on your OWN ideas surrounding the text. You still have the 'readings' but they're just disguised as facets of your opinion.

Kikkoman

HSC
I found it more effective and useful to study, learn and effectively memorise the quotes, analysis of them in summarised form. Not a word-by-word essay, which only selects some of that analysis. I preferred having more to draw from, so that in the exam, I could use exactly what I needed.

EdgarTruong

HSC
N/A
Yeh, i guess i was a bit paranoid, looking back at past hsc questions & other schools q's and seeing that they specified a poem or asked for 3 poems in mod b but it did neither so i'm thankful for that!

jippie154

HSC
apparently they are starting to completely phase out the text types
its good in my opinion... when are we ever going to need to write a radio transcript on shakespeare in our life?

i did think all essays was good buuut i also thought the questions were quite challenging (mine were anyway) so it kind of balanced it out XD

Kikkoman

HSC
wow you sound like an over pretentious twat
HEAR HEAR!!! "wogz rulz", nobody hear likes having a cocky f***head bragging about how he can write 12 pages for each module, about how he will beat you at HSC, about how much more awesome he is over everyone else simply because he is that person. If you are a troll, that still applies equally as much. If not, then you deserve to die as a result of your own insolence. Also, if you really are a wog, then as a fellow Greek, I am ashamed of you. If not, which means you're probably just using that username in sarcastic and demeaning "jest", then f*** you. How did I do, everyone?

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
HEAR HEAR!!! "wogz rulz", nobody hear likes having a cocky f***head bragging about how he can write 12 pages for each module, about how he will beat you at HSC, about how much more awesome he is over everyone else simply because he is that person. If you are a troll, that still applies equally as much. If not, then you deserve to die as a result of your own insolence. Also, if you really are a wog, then as a fellow Greek, I am ashamed of you. If not (which means you're probably just using that username in sarcastic and demeaning "jest"), then f*** you. How did I do, everyone?
Good work Christian. :)

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
That 'ever so slight' rubric change actually changes essentially what they want from you though. Whereas you used to have to evaluate the 'text’s reception in different contexts' (ie. readings), you're now supposed to evaluate the 'text’s language, content and construction'. In other words, less focus on critical readings, more focus on your OWN ideas surrounding the text. You still have the 'readings' but they're just disguised as facets of your opinion.
jes.h made me feel so much better.

but if you^ are right that sucks.

there was a rumour about how there wasn't anything about contexts in the syllbus anymore but my teacher said to ignore it and 'know our work'.
frigginhell
when was the stupid rubric changed?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
jes.h made me feel so much better.

but if you^ are right that sucks.

there was a rumour about how there wasn't anything about contexts in the syllbus anymore but my teacher said to ignore it and 'know our work'.
frigginhell
when was the stupid rubric changed?
Sorry! :( If it is any solace to you, most of my year didn't know. I found out only in the last term (we did Module B first term) and tried to spread the word around. The new rubric can be viewed here: English Advanced Paper 2 HSC exam rubrics - Board of Studies NSW Also, a summary of the effects the changes bring about is here: Rubric Changes to the English Advanced: Module B: Critical Study of Texts Tutor Tales Overall, there's only a small difference, but as I reiterated before, the BOS actually want's something a tad different than they did in previous years. I'm sure you'll do fine anyway!

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Sorry! :( If it is any solace to you, most of my year didn't know. I found out only in the last term (we did Module B first term) and tried to spread the word around. The new rubric can be viewed here: English Advanced Paper 2 HSC exam rubrics - Board of Studies NSW Also, a summary of the effects the changes bring about is here: Rubric Changes to the English Advanced: Module B: Critical Study of Texts � Tutor Tales Overall, there's only a small difference, but as I reiterated before, the BOS actually want's something a tad different than they did in previous years. I'm sure you'll do fine anyway!

bah stupid real board of studies.
dont apologise for imparting knowledge. thats what the board of studies should have done.
just wish i hadnt found out the day after the exam lol
oh well hopefully they wont penalize too much since a lot of students will make the mistake.

so thanks. and good luck

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
bah stupid real board of studies.
dont apologise for imparting knowledge. thats what the board of studies should have done.
just wish i hadnt found out the day after the exam lol
oh well hopefully they wont penalize too much since a lot of students will make the mistake.

so thanks. and good luck
I believe all schools were emailed by the Board informing Head Teachers of this change?

tku336

HSC
Dude, what have you been learning all this time then?
I think that the change was a really good thing. Instead of churning out other people's ideas about the text, they're now asking for your own. That's a lot less effort wasted in memorising various critical perspectives.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Dude, what have you been learning all this time then?
I think that the change was a really good thing. Instead of churning out other people's ideas about the text, they're now asking for your own. That's a lot less effort wasted in memorising various critical perspectives.
we were just told we had to know everything about Hamlet.
including context
we watched heaps of movies and stuff and analysed them as well as the play.

For an assignment the question was something about how hamlet has been received over time so i analysed john marsden's version as well as the original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)