HSC in year 11 AND year 12 (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
next year i'm attending a school where we sit half of the subjects for the HSC in year 11 and the other half in year 12.

Year 11 - HSC
- mathematics
- studies of religion
- modern history

Year 12 -HSC
- chemistry
- advanced english
- business studies
- ipt

I was wondering how this works and whether it's a good idea.

xx-lozz-xx

HSC
that sounds really good.

but how do you get both your prelim and hsc course subjects done in the same year?

but still a great idea.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Brontecat said:
next year i'm attending a school where we sit half of the subjects for the HSC in year 11 and the other half in year 12.

Year 11 - HSC
- mathematics
- studies of religion
- modern history

Year 12 -HSC
- chemistry
- advanced english
- business studies
- ipt

That's interesting approach. I wonder how you do HSC then? Do you just do HSC for three subjects in that year and do another three?

By the way, I don't see how that can be less stress. I reckon it's more in a long run because you have to HSCs in two years meaning that you don't have much of a break in prelim where many people just don't care because they don't count.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Brontecat said:

Year 11 - HSC
- mathematics
- studies of religion
- modern history

Year 12 -HSC
- chemistry
- advanced english
- business studies
- ipt

So you're sort of accelerating in 3 subjects.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i think it would be an excellent idea for SOME people. I know i probably couldn't do it as i was definitely not ready to do HSC in yr 11, maybe only for maths, but i would've bombed any other subject big time. i think that is too many subjects being accelerated, i'd say 2 subjects max, and in yr 12 i suggest doing 10 units at least because most likely those accelerated ones wont be excellent, unless you are that type of student that can do well, there are some...
well, thats just my opinion
just make sure you are ready to do it,

dp624

HSC
Good idea. But my school is gay and doesn't let you accelerate =.= (subjects of your own choice. they have it and sd and e&e sci but) (and ag)

Zephyrio

HSC
Good idea. If you screw up any subjects in year 11, just sit them again for year 12. ;)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Very good idea. Even if you screw up your HSC for the 3 subjects in year 11 you can resit. The experience in itself is invaluable.

I did it for 2U math and i'm glad i did it, made me learn how to study within a year --> didn't study at all for year 10 and down... just did last minute "what is the test on?" questions XD

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
It sounds like a great idea. I accelerated in Society & Culture and had a great time of it and one of the best bits is that in Year 12 I know what's coming and what I have to do and I know there's nothing to be afraid of. Plus I have two units out of the way ... always a relief!

I think it will be fairly stressful for you in Year 11 because you'll have Trials and then HSC looming early but a laid-back Year 12 will be a great reward. Plus, as others have said, you can redo it if you like.

That said, I have quite a few friends who accelerated (in 2U and 3U Maths) and not one of them thought it was a positive experience so it really comes down to personal circumstances and just how pushy your new school gets (theirs was absolutely nightmarish, apparently, but hopefully that's a crap one-off).

Good luck with it :)!

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
This is not "Accelerating". Accelerating still involves you doing all your subjects at once. In this case it's like he's doing those 7 subjects, but he's doing year 12 history, SOR and maths. This isn't what he's doing.

He's dedicating a whole year to 3 subjects, not to 7.

I personally think it's awesome. It IS less stress, because Accelerated means you have other subjects to focus on. This means he has 3 subjects to focus on for the WHOLE year. When it comes to bang bang time of trials and HSC he'll have 3 subjects while that year's proper year 12 has 5-7 subjects to study for.

I accelerated in IPT, I thought it was awesome I could, though I screwed up in it, it's letting me focus on everything else.

wendybird

HSC
interesting, and definately something that would work for people suited to the regime.

what school is this?

Smith's Hill High?

i believe they run such programmes or otherwise have a large percentage of the cohort accelerating.

jet

Banned
HSC
I have to agree with namu and timothy siu. It was an awful lot of stress.

I only started accelerating three quarters through last year on a whim, and i was doing 3 chapters of the textbook a week to catch up in time, plus i had the school certificate.
It was really stressful with the whole hsc thing, and i didnt get any time off to study etc which really sucked. The 9 assessments at a time sucked too.
Plus, we have to do extension 2 subjects as a morning class cause they wont fit on the time table, so i had 4 morning classes aweek cause of sor aswell.

It was rewarding though at the end. But i think that two subjects is probably the max i would let someone accelerate.

didier91

HSC
I really wish I had just accelerated one subject (Business Studies) last year to give me more time to devote to this year, but our school doesn't let us :mad:.

wendybird

HSC
i think the issue of acceleration depends on the subjects themselves, certain subjects are easier than others and some subjects are simply not suited for acceleration.

For example english or history is generally not recommended as an accelerated subject as it takes time to build up the depth and sophistication of essay writing skills. There are some conceptual areas that one year makes a big difference in the understanding of.

However a subject like business studies (which i accelerated) was a complete breeze to accelerate because it required almost no prior knowledge (i never did commerce) and is very much content based.

Maths, if one has the capacity is quite do-able, and i know plenty of people who have accelerated it, but the level of difficulty rests on the level of ability and the number of maths units accelerated (ie. 2/3/4).

that said, the original poster might not be talking about acceleration? I suppose completing HSC over 2 years may refer to something like what Daniel Swain did.

which was do 3/4 subjects last year (Drama, M History, 4U English i believe) and do 2 subjects this year (Cosmology, Society and Culture).

that's doable, but again- all about individual strengths and ability.

wendybird

HSC
Smiths Hill High in Woolongong,

please note though, Daniel is an exceptional case. He either topped or got a state ranking in every one of his subjects. :spin:

and (oh what a suprise) got 100 UAI.

Brontecat

HSC
well this is my friends skool border christian college

and with the courses i still have to do the hsc 2010 ones in 2009 - cause these ones are supposed to be harder and take more time to develop ('cept for business studies - thats by de so i have no choice)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)