HSC Tips and Tricks | Part 1: Year 12 Info Round-up (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actually for uni ive been typing notes (partially because i dont have the time for writing them out manually). What I will do though before the next exams is type them then briefly write them down in dot point form/

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
actually for uni ive been typing notes (partially because i dont have the time for writing them out manually). What I will do though before the next exams is type them then briefly write them down in dot point form/
ahh but in the HSC, as you well know, english students are expected to write 9-10 page essays in 40 minutes-an hour. I typed way too much this year, and so that's my main concern at the moment.

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
I disagree about the part about not typing notes up (for science subjects/sdd), typing them up has some advantages -

* Easy Editing - Improve upon, summarise further, correct mistakes etc.
* Nice and easy to read - your hand writing might get messy about 4 hours of writing
* Much MUCH faster than hand writing so you can get more stuff done unless your very slow at typing - your hand doesn't die as fast when your typing especially for long study days.

However if you dont have ready access to a computer then I guess hand writing your notes is the only way for you.
I disagree about typing up notes on the computer (for science subjects).
*Easy editing - yes it is easier to edit and faster too
*Nice and easier to read - After printing the final copy out. You use that to memorise from. Memorise means you write it out as many times as you can while learning and also improve on the speed and neatness of your handwriting.
*Yes it is much faster, but you're not typing your answers in the exams. Plus, you don't tend to remember/learn what you written on computer by typing. Hand writing allows you to remember better on what you've written. It's better to get used to writing manually instead of typing.

tennille

HSC
cherryblossom said:
ahh but in the HSC, as you well know, english students are expected to write 9-10 page essays in 40 minutes-an hour. I typed way too much this year, and so that's my main concern at the moment.
I had that problem last year as well. You need to delete all the stuff that isn't that important (I know it's hard, and you probably think it's all important, but it needs to be done). I did so many practice essays the weekend before the HSC commenced and I managed to finish all of my English essays on time (usually I'd never finish, esp. during the trials).

I think the pressure of the HSC helps you write faster as well. :)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Typing notes on the computer works for me
as been said before...
* Easy Editing - Improve upon, summarise further, correct mistakes etc.
* Nice and easy to read - your hand writing might get messy about 4 hours of writing
* Much MUCH faster than hand writing so you can get more stuff done unless your very slow at typing - your hand doesn't die as fast when your typing especially for long study days.
I agree... Its much better than my writing, its really messy
I dont do sicence any subjects so I can do it.
Only subject I dont do on the comp is 2unt maths of course

tennille

HSC
kow_dude said:
This is so True. You can get really good marks by just memorising. When i did my hsc, i managed to recall all my essays and i twisted them to suit the text type. I think this is the best way to go about for english as i had friends who tried to master their texts and write their essays on the spot during their exams. They were unsuccessful because the pressure was overwhelming. I remember for Paper 1 section 3, i memorised at least 25 techniques and 25 quotes. English gave me the worse friggin headache, and it continued throughout my hsc.
As long as you can manipulate your memorised essays to suit the question, as you have mentioned, you should be fine. But some people fail to do this, thus BOS markers can easily pick up on this.

What I did was do so many practice essays for AoS and tried to write the same thing each time (not word for word, but do all my techniques and examples in a particular order so that it flowed). I did it in such a way that it could be easily manipulated for a question in the exam. It also allowed me to finish answering my questions on time because I knew whhat I was going to write.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i find that if i do practice essays i lose all my flair and spontaneous energy during the exam. all the manipulations and good ideas have already lost its taste. thats why i would prefer to just memorise the quotes and then just use them at will during the exam.

HSC
ok i didn't quite know where to post it, so i'll ask here

at the moment i'm saving all the past papers from 2001-2004 for all my subjects from the board of studies website. the problem is, it only provides "marking guidelines" with it, not worked solutions which is what i'm after. would anyone know where to find worked solutions for past HSC papers or would anyone be kind enough to send them over?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
king_of_boredom said:
ok i didn't quite know where to post it, so i'll ask here

at the moment i'm saving all the past papers from 2001-2004 for all my subjects from the board of studies website. the problem is, it only provides "marking guidelines" with it, not worked solutions which is what i'm after. would anyone know where to find worked solutions for past HSC papers or would anyone be kind enough to send them over?
You can't get that for free
theres books called Success One that should be available for all your subjects
E.g. 2unit maths has 1986-2004 past papers with solutions
Business has 2001-2004 with solutions etc
call up some book stores and find out how much they cost.
I have business, IPT and Maths success one books.

HSC
serious? i have to buy the answers? actually i'll go ask my teachers, they should have some past HSC worked solutions. i can't be bothered forking out more money [UMAT, RET, UAC reg, the list goes on and on].

HSC
ok here's some advice to my fellow HSCers.

go to your school library. NOW. i've never wasted more than 5 minutes for my lunchtime in there, but trust me, you will find great stuff in there. i loaned out a lot of HSC books, but my friend [the bastard] stole the only Success One 2u and 3u maths books there. so, i took some physics, chem, IPT and 3u books to go, all has past papers, worked solutions, the lot. so go to your school library, will help you in your study.

sakura_05

HSC
I'm so dead. I just got my trials results back and my rank has drop so much. i'm wondering if there's still a chance that i will get a UAI above 80. i know i could improve in the hsc with better preparation.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
king_of_boredom said:
ok here's some advice to my fellow HSCers.

go to your school library. NOW. i've never wasted more than 5 minutes for my lunchtime in there, but trust me, you will find great stuff in there. i loaned out a lot of HSC books, but my friend [the bastard] stole the only Success One 2u and 3u maths books there. so, i took some physics, chem, IPT and 3u books to go, all has past papers, worked solutions, the lot. so go to your school library, will help you in your study.
LOL, what a troll!!

sakura_05, it depends on your school.. for example, ranking in 80/120 in JR won't matter at all. (your *high achieving* class will pulls your marks up in a way)

Good luck!

babi_girl

HSC
If only i had done well in my assessments, i thought the assessments didnt matter much ... i've done so poorly in my assessments & it really puts me down so hard ... i just feel like crying all day coz i know i've stuffed up my UAI :(

babi_girl

HSC
Yes offcourse u can improve, how have u done in ur assessments?

mystake

HSC
Hey guys just wanted to say that this discussion has been really calming for me as i thought i had severely stuffed up my UAI by screwing up my trials and a couple of assessments but now i at least have hope that if i can do well in the exams i can still get a good result. Also its good to hear i am not the only one who has lacked motivation latley. Cheers

R

regret108000

We all do share similar situation at some stage of studying...
I guess it will be a tough time for everyone who do yr 12 rite now
Here is my script to study "study hard, tried ur best, no regrets" (plz dont laugh at me ><")
but all da best to "1timefortheppl" and other ppl who gives me an clear idea of wt yr 12 is like@@

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, that's a good attitude to keep--I'm gonna take on your example. Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)