Important - New Legislation - Read! (1 Viewer)

do you agree with the federal government's new legislation?

• i agree

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • i disagree

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
withoutaface said:
So far as I know at usyd the compulsory HECS fees pay for the computers.
I feel that if the union.. has already paid off those computers from compulsary payments... that they've already been paid for - by the students.
But if the union really wants to be bitchy they can have them, why not?

Riewe

HSC
I understand that it is VOLUNTARY unionsim which the governement is introducing. This means that people STILL can organise services, protests etc, but there may not be as much funds as there are now. Maybe these people instead of protesting and screaming everytime they hear VSU should now concentrate on marketing the Union, making it appealing enough to people that they will pay. If it is a good service, people will pay. If they are unhappy with it, they won't pay. Just like most money you spend, people have to convince you to buy their product, and unfortunately, student unions now need to do the same.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I feel that if the union.. has already paid off those computers from compulsary payments... that they've already been paid for - by the students.
But if the union really wants to be bitchy they can have them, why not?
Yeah I agree that if they were bought in the years that I was paying fees I'd be pretty shitty if I was told I wasn't allowed to use them, despite the union buying them with my money.

cool boy 371

Banned
HSC
Minai said:
I think we're forgetting the enormous profit that student unions make. I recall an article from UNSW's student newspaper last year that stated the UNSW union makes a profit from all the sponsorship deals it has. Something tells me they'll survive easily with VSU
i always knew you were a fuckin loser minai

now u just opened your mouth and confirmed it, you idiot

university unions have made large profits ---- as they will not be continued to be funded anymore, then their savings will be eaten away until nothing is left

therefore it is not going to be a sustainable practice, which throws your rather moronic comment out of the window.

idiot.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Riewe said:
I understand that it is VOLUNTARY unionsim which the governement is introducing. This means that people STILL can organise services, protests etc, but there may not be as much funds as there are now. Maybe these people instead of protesting and screaming everytime they hear VSU should now concentrate on marketing the Union, making it appealing enough to people that they will pay. If it is a good service, people will pay. If they are unhappy with it, they won't pay. Just like most money you spend, people have to convince you to buy their product, and unfortunately, student unions now need to do the same.
Yeah thats right. If I had to make a decision now I would say piss off my money isn't helping me, but if someone proved to me otherwise i might change my mind.

jellybeenz

HSC
I guess I'll just always swing to the left meaning I don't think that VSU is a good thing.

I question the motives of the govt bringing in VSU... If they really cared about the students, university spending wouldnt have been decreased causing fees to rise---> increased debt for students. This isn't about making things easier for students, its about making it harder for us to rebel or speak out against any move they make. Or sticking it to the left.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The Government's hecs reforms = more uni places, heaps of people were happy.. I didn't see anyone complaining then?
By the way, if you look at almost ALL the polls it's about even between people who agree and disagree.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Thats two completely different things. The hces reforms bought more places by giving unis the ablilty to obtain more money, this new legislation would only result in services being reduced

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, but if u looked at the other thread.. i said u need to critically analyse the situation.
Are the services offered effective?
Are they being offered to the widest range of people?
Is the union being efficient with its money?
Is the union using too much money for things large groups of the student body disagree with ?

baker182

HSC
sarevok said:
I think it's good news. $600 a year is ridiculous, I have enough trouble with my finances without paying for services that I don't use.
I agree, people should be more concern with their studies than the services of the union. Some students have other financial committments.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
baker182 said:
I agree, people should be more concern with their studies than the services of the union. Some students have other financial committments.
You'll still have to pay this fee, through the uni's.. the only difference is u will save some money because you won't be funding unions representations of students or their protests...

Mannix

HSC
I disagree with this whole thing. If the government wants to make going to university easier for students how about they stop letting the HECS fees go up by 25% instead of jeopardising a culture and lifestyle which has worked well for many years before us.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HECS fees went up, more university places were made available (pretty much everyone that wanted to go to university was able to), and these fee's are paid once u have a job and are earning a bit of money.. unlike union fee's which hit you no matter what.

Mannix

HSC
Ok granted,

But to suggest that these compulsory fee's are unpayable is ridiculous. I come from a single income family and we managed to pay it. I understand that there will be people unable to pay the fee and im sure the universities could work something out for them. But to ruin things like the Student Councils and other such integral parts of the university society which rely on those funds because half the people may not want to pay the fee will ruin it for people who may rely on such student services.

if that makes sense?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ya, the student councils is probably the worst part.
See most of the services etc, i think will be paid by the uni... i.e. non-union members will pay a "services" fee.

The main thing it will do is make protests less common, and deminish student representation...
While alot of people are unhappy with some of their protests, I feel the loss of student representation and the universities gaining too much power will have a negative effect.

Mannix

HSC
Protests and other such factors are a necessity in university.
Uni really is the place where the youth establish who they are and what ideals they believe in. To do this will be a big push in taking away student councils which can often be viewed as the mouthpiece to majority student views (e.g. Vietnam war.)

Now whether people agree or disagree with protests is irrelevant. The mere fact that student associations will now be struggling to represent the student body is enough for me to disagree with this.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think you have to weigh up wether you're willing to give all the power to the uni's and have no representation, but also diminish union political power (perhaps about things you don't like).
Or keep their representation strong and just put up with the protests you disagree with.

I think i've come around to disagreeing with VSU, i believe services will be kinda the same, but i don't think there shouldn't be power in the student body..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
cool boy 371 said:

university unions have made large profits ---- as they will not be continued to be funded anymore, then their savings will be eaten away until nothing is left

therefore it is not going to be a sustainable practice, which throws your rather moronic comment out of the window.

idiot.
People like you are the reason we have representative democracy.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cool boy 371 said:

idiot.
Ignoring your unhelpful comments...Why will they "not be continuted to be funded anymore"? I said they make large profits because of their numerous sponsorship deals. ALL the sponsors (generally) won't withdraw their sponsorship, right? so it'll be sustainable. Please understand the whole post before creating "moronic comments" of your own.

cool boy 371

Banned
HSC
not everything in the union is sponsored though minai

in fact, i work in the uts union, and it is only a minority of it's services that rely on external money

everything else is funded by fundraising parties ($2, which will have to rise dramatically), and the compulsory fees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)