• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Important - Please Read (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jhakka

Justin blames his enlightenment on the emptying of his bladder, though he does enjoy insightful discussions with Marcus.

Justin suggests that Susan post her major work when she feels comfortable doing so, and not a minute sooner.

HSC
N/A
Lynn suggests that this is DEFINATELY a good time to post Susan's major work!!!

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Marcus would like to say that there is more to him than sententious outbursts. Marcus is merely in a reflective mood tonight, and is trying to plan how he is going to study adequately for all his upcoming exams.

J

jhakka

Justin suggests that Marcus should give up on study, since the exams have been going on for almost three weeks, and are surely getting boring by now. Justin has decided to take his own advice. :D

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan presents to you:

Her Major work!!

(If you want it, PM me :))

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Lynn wishes she could give up studying, but unfortunately she only has ten units and needs to do moderately well in Ancient History to acquire desired UAI. She does feel burnt out though.

J

jhakka

glitterfairy said:
Lynn wishes she could give up studying, but unfortunately she only has ten units and needs to do moderately well in Ancient History to acquire desired UAI. She does feel burnt out though.
Justin sympathises, but feels happy because he has 12 units, and the 2 that don't count will certianly be Ancient History. Justin would like to thank his crap teacher for making that possible.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan too is exahausted and feels burnt out. Susan curses the education system for the collective exhaustion of Susan, Justin and Lynn

J

jhakka

ujuphleg said:
Susan presents to you:

Her Major work!!
Justin will read Susan's major work while posting, and apologizes if he takes a while to get through it all.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan doesn't mind at all, and is happy to let her friends read her major work. (but not strange passerby types, whom Susan has a deep mistrust for.)
She implores Justin to take his time with it.
EDIT: Susan wonders why the counter in "Number of times viewed" has not changed, despite Justins download?!

Last edited:
J

jhakka

Justin has also had the number of views problem in the past, and suggests that it is not entirely accurate.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan ponders as to whether someone then DID view Justins major work that day that it was posted in its entirety for 20 minutes?

HSC
N/A
Lynn has just finished reading susan's major work and would like to express how beautiful it is. She will take a moment to collect her thoughts while she tries to express properly how she feels.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan is pleased the Lynn likes Susan's major work, for that was the reason she wrote it. :)
Susan is also astounded at how fast Lynn reads.

J

jhakka

ujuphleg said:
Susan ponders as to whether someone then DID view Justins major work that day that it was posted in its entirety for 20 minutes?
Justin would like to state that no one had, as there was no activity when it was posted and when it was removed. Further, no comments were made and the views count was 0.

HSC
N/A
Lynn feels so... strongly about Susan's major work that she reverts back to introspective first-person narration for a moment.

"Dear Susan,

Your story hits me greatly on many levels - firstly on a english level - naturally, and I admire the lengths you went with this story. There are moments of somewhat raw emotion in this that I can empathise with greatly.

I admit that I've often wanted to ask people what they see when they look at me as well, but for reasons unknown to me I've never had the guts to ask. Hopefully, I see them as I see myself - colourless. Or perhaps you see them as bananas, but all is good :D

It's quite a delicate subject you've got there. I am envious of your circumstances and your ability (or bravery) to use parental figures in your story - I initially started that way but had to change my "baddie" to an aunt figure out of fear.

Finally, I would like to say that hopefully, one day, more asian parents will see the light and come to embrace cultural hybridity. After all, James Clifford writes that "The influence of another culture does not mean a loss of tradition".

If nothing else, we can be sure that we, the second generation, will do everything within our power to bridge "that gap", saving our children - should we choose to have any - any of the pain we had to go through."

Lynn notes that "number of times viewed" has not changed even though she has definately downloaded and read it, and decides that it is faulty. She also hastens to reassure Susan that her work will be "protected" within the pages of this thread - in a few hours, no-one will have a clue where it is :)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Marcus has also downloaded Susan's major work. He is, however, too busy to read it tonight. He would like to do it justice and present his thoughts when he has collected them.

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Susan is pleased the Lynn likes Susan's major work, for that was the reason she wrote it. :)
Susan is also astounded at how fast Lynn reads.
Lynn admits that she is in fact, somewhat of a fast reader, becoming obsessed with the act of reading ever since the tender age of 6.

She also would like to add that she has been in somewhat of a "fiction drought" ever since STUVAC and all through the HSC and the fast pace at which she read may have been encouraged by her excitement at reading something interesting for the first time in a long, long time.

Lynn decides that she should tell all her friends to buy her good books for her birthday.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Susan has already removed her major work as her three friends Justin, Lynn and Marcus have already downloaded her major work. If they notice, the PDF documents they have cannot be copied or printed anyways, so, in the unlikely event that any turns out to be a plagarist, they will have a tough time doing so.

Susan will now revert to first person.

Lynn, what you said about the major work is the exact reason why i wrote it. I felt that my "asian-ness" was something that I had never fully come to terms with - even today, there are still times when i struggle with it. I'd always wanted to ask people, but never had the right forum or oppurtunity.

With this major work, my research entailed asking and talking to people who are the same as us: either Australian Born Chinese or people who had immigrated here at young ages with parents who still cling to the ideals of their former lives to whatever degree.

To a certain extent, I don't see what is so great about my work, but at the same time, I can see that it touches many people at a different level. It is that connection with others, the feeling that others understand and that they feel the same things that I wanted people to feel when they read the work.

I feel that even if the 4U markers don't appreciate it at the same level, they will appreciate it at a different level, and will see the celebratory nature of the piece, coupled with the passion to which I wrote it.

I could go on forever about the work. There is endless material out there about our position. While i fear that sometimes, people may think we're whinging, I think its something that should just be allowed to discuss. Any ABC will tell you that parents are incredibly scared of people knowing about the family problems outsite the house. There were about 10 extra scenes which never made it onto the page or were cut because of time constraints (scripts had to be 30 minutes max). I hope that when i resume work you'll give me the privelage of reviewing it for me.

I'm glad that you liked it Lynn :)

On a completley different note, do you know someone by the name of Sarah Cusack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)