In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

TacoTerrorist

HSC
English.

Because even after twelve years of learning how to write, some douchebags have terrible written language ability.

Slightly off-topic: English is one of the more subjective subjects to do at school. A subject like maths is very formulaic and if you have knowledge of it you will do well. On the contrary, a subject like English varies somewhat. I handed in an assignment to one teacher and got a perfect mark. My younger sister - a year my junior - hawked off (I didn't know about it at the time) my exact assignment from the previous year to an unsuspecting teacher and got a mere B.

Most people who are forced do maths or science in school will forget about them and/or will never use anything but the utmost basics outside of their education.

Too many people, some of them spouting themselves as professionals, have atrocious communication ability. Advertisements using 'your' instead of 'you're', people using American spellings like 'color', incorrect use of quotation marks, question marks, overuse of commas, and the list goes on.

It is not hard. People should be kept in school until they can correctly write out a simple sentence.

/rant

gypo king

HSC
Stang said:
the most important is english
thats what they want the most important subject to be ('they being the board of studies).
the most important subject is whatever ur the best at OR which ever one scales better for u.

for me its four unit maths, mainly because im machine at it and its scales pretty good.

english doesnt even compare, when you keep in mind that four unit english scales worse then three unit maths

gypo king

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
English.

Because even after twelve years of learning how to write, some douchebags have terrible written language ability

Most people who are forced do maths or science in school will forget about them and/or will never use anything but the utmost basics outside of their education.

/rant
yeah mate, u let me know when u find techniques in a book after hsc, or when you analsye the camera angles in the movies.
maybe then ill take the subject seriously

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
It was funny because we kinda challanged him (kinda being the operative word) to not use maths for a lession and he was like "The amount of metaphors in this poem is...ah... ALOT", i totally lol'd.
Oh, yeh, just remembered, heaps funny. Me and my mate were in English class talking to the teacher (sarcastically) and saying, yeh, HSC english is way important, everybody reads the news paper and just, for no reason analyses the layout and puns, metaphors, similies and anthropomorphisims used, of course they do that! Or, last week when i went to the movies, everybody in the cinema had a note pad out decomposing each and every camera angle and visual representations of things that really dont represent anything but english screw heads get a job to say, yeh, this object in the movie represents love! SAYS WHO, i reckon it means hate, do i get paid $1000 a week?

Here is some maths!

Maths = important

English = waste of time

Science = important

Gay Captain

HSC
gypo king said:
yeah mate, u let me know when u find techniques in a book after hsc, or when you analsye the camera angles in the movies.
maybe then ill take the subject seriously
You forgot to capitalise "yeah", you spelled "you" incorrectly in several places, you spelled "analyse" incorrectly, you forgot to capitalise "maybe", you forgot to end your second sentence with a full stop, you forgot to capitalise the 'i' in "i'll", and you forgot to put an apostrophe between the I and the l in "I'll", unless you really meant "ill" in which case your sentence doesn't make sense.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Gay Captain said:
You forgot to capitalise "yeah", you spelled "you" incorrectly in several places, you spelled "analyse" incorrectly, you forgot to capitalise "maybe", you forgot to end your second sentence with a full stop, you forgot to capitalise the 'i' in "i'll", and you forgot to put an apostrophe between the I and the l in "I'll", unless you really meant "ill" in which case your sentence doesn't make sense.
This may be true, but it seams the message came across, so whats the problem???

Gay Captain

HSC
kurt.physics said:
This may be true, but it seams the message came across, so whats the problem???
Have a conversation with some maths or physics majors at uni and you'll see the problem :D

EDIT: engineers too

sobern

HSC
Well, economics is easily the best subject that is offered by the BOS. 1 year and a half of work has enabled me and my class to pick up any financial magazine or newspaper and understand entirely what is being said and the underlying views. It is the study of choices, so thus it relates to every part of our consumer driven life. Life is about money and economics enables even the dummest kid to learn more about the world surrounding them.

Totally agree with the view that eng is fundamental as people need to be able to talk and express what they are thinking. K being a bit rascist but an "asian" who gets 100 in 4 unit maths, and 100 in physics and chemistry will be about successful as your average joe if they cannot communicate.

Despite my rascist views, economics is the best, eng is fundamental

(maths, chem, physics, 1 unit SOR rules)

stillwaters

HSC
ok, i agree with english being important because it helps you to express yourself, better communicate and reconsider issues... so thanks english for that. but people who get 100 percent in 4 unit maths, physics and chem are:
1) not all "asian"... i know you dont mean anything by it so the rest of this paragraph isnt an attack on you, its just me and my need to rant in the last week of holidays where ive slacked off in school work and now its coming back to bite me. :burn: i dunno, sometimes i laugh when people bring out the asian stereotype and then sometimes i dont- but i dunno lately i get annoyed when people bring out the asians are just freaks in study. no we arent. there are dumb asians as well. and then i hate the fact that i have to use the phrase 'dumb asians' so now im going to stop and clutch my head with the paradox of it all. but if anyway is interested and has not been scared off by this pretty pointless rant then there's some opinion article on this by this asian guy majoring in communications at uts that was in SMH a fe weeks ago... i dunno... find it?
2) sometimes i reckon in the long run, even if you do well in english its not completely reflective of how well you communicate as a person... like someone could be a great verbal communicator but since only 25% of the assessment mark comes from speaking then theyre not gonna do so well for the rest of the 75% of writing/ reading etc. meh...i can see holes in my argument so im gonna stop now :p
but the most important subject to me is 4unit english... just being able to write something and make it your own... lol thats so vague. i just like it and i feel like its made me aware of the process involved in writing/(which is something i want to do after school)
yep... big block of writing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
That's a flawless fact about Asian people. There is no difference between Asian people and Australians (except skin colour & appearance). It is just that there are more Asian people who work harder in their academic fields.

I have seen tonnes of Australians (my mates, for example) who are academically superior than Asian people at my school. It is an absolute generalisation that people make that Asian are better at Maths and Sciences but bad at English. I am Asian but I am the top in English and Maths but perform quite horribly in Sciences.

The sole factor that determines whether you are smart or not is how hard and how smart you study.

Gay Captain

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's a flawless fact about Asian people. There is no difference between Asian people and Australians (except skin colour & appearance). It is just that there are more Asian people who work harder in their academic fields.

I have seen tonnes of Australians (my mates, for example) who are academically superior than Asian people at my school. It is an absolute generalisation that people make that Asian are better at Maths and Sciences but bad at English. I am Asian but I am the top in English and Maths but perform quite horribly in Sciences.

The sole factor that determines whether you are smart or not is how hard and how smart you study.
That's not actually true, if you kept up to date with modern biological science you'd know they recently discovered a gene which makes Asian people more adept at mathematics and the physical sciences.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
gypo king said:
thats what they want the most important subject to be ('they being the board of studies).
the most important subject is whatever ur the best at OR which ever one scales better for u.

for me its four unit maths, mainly because im machine at it and its scales pretty good.

english doesnt even compare, when you keep in mind that four unit english scales worse then three unit maths
Scaling is by no means an indicator of the pragmatic/economic value of a subject as scaling is only a means to ensure a level playing field among all students in the HSC.

And there is no important subject. Maths, English and the Sciences requires certain skills which are highly valued in the modern world.

Your opinion is your opinion though.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
I wouldn't put my hopes on scaling.

It's best to just focus on areas you will do well in HSC. Do visual arts if it is your strength. Who cares if you got into Pharmacy or something and got 100 for Visual Arts, so long as you get the UAI, that's the selling point.

Maths is totally bull. So is Chemistry. The best has got to be English, if you can't write a decent essay, you'll struggle so badly in university.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Rekkusu said:
I wouldn't put my hopes on scaling.

It's best to just focus on areas you will do well in HSC. Do visual arts if it is your strength. Who cares if you got into Pharmacy or something and got 100 for Visual Arts, so long as you get the UAI, that's the selling point.

Maths is totally bull. So is Chemistry. The best has got to be English, if you can't write a decent essay, you'll struggle so badly in university.
A+ post :D

emily..xox

HSC
I think that the most important subject all depends on what your future aspirations are. I think for me it will be all my TAS subjects

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
english, for all aspects of your life, what ever it is in life you do.

moz324

HSC
english definately, if you dont have the proper language skills your not going to get very far in life.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
make that 5/5

aMUSEd1977 said:
Of course it should be, you hacks.

Unless you plan to fuck off to a non-English Speaking country (and not return), where your ability to communicate and express yourself in English are not needed. I don't know too many people for whom this would be the case.

HSC English sets you up for the level of academia needed at uni (and in some instances TAFE) as well as communication skills needed in the workforce (stand up and give a speech without shitting yourselves). If you don't like English, too bad. Suck it up. Once you are out of school (unless you take an English related degree) you won't need garbage essays like that in English.
woooooo... go english! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)