Ipads? An investment or a waste? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah it was some mature ager's kid, he was like 10 probs.

TheStallion

HSC
You can do whatever the hell you want in lectures, nobody cares

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Me too, lol I spent a whole lecture watching some kid play GTA 3 half way across the lecture theatre cos it was 16436523526x more interesting than the lecture.
Similar thing happened to me.

Couple of guys playing Mario Kart 64 on an emulator in a Maths Lecture. It happened every Friday.

Dylanamali

HSC
yeah, I was referring to gaming on the iPad as a distraction.
it's a very underestimatedly good gaming platform if you have the rights apps.
and yeah you can preety much do anything in a lecture as long as you keep to yourself and are relatively quiet

D94

HSC
N/A
suggestion for something between a tablet and a laptop = asus transformer.
You can always buy a $50 keyboard extension for an iPad or most big name tablets, so I don't think it's worth investing in an Asus Transformer cost-wise.

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
I use my iPad exclusively at Uni - it's great for lecture notes (instead of printing them A4) and for taking notes in other lectures - the onscreen keyboard is perfectly useable for that once you get used to it. The battery easily lasts all day, it has 3G for when uniwide doesn't work (again) and it's so much lighter and smaller than a laptop. A no-brainer, really.

deliciouscake

HSC
waste of money, my sister has one and she rarely uses it for work or uni. Get a notebook, they're way better, light in weight, long battery life and its got a keyboard :]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Laptop for uni- preferably an ultrabook with good battery life.

I love my iPad and my Macbook Air but if I had to choose one for uni, definitely the latter. With the iPad you'll always be hoping you don't need to login to any websites which don't support it, or the horrendous uni intranet pages, etc... and you never know what crap the lecturers are going to put in there which may or may not display right (e.g. the gened courses and their very outdated multimedia). Safer to go with the laptop. It's also easier (imo) to take notes than the ipad which feels rather restrictive in terms of what you can do. Maybe when Word comes out it'll be better but nothing beats sheer convenience of a true laptop. Macs are great because you can always find a charger (since they are largely compatible) but a Windows laptop works fine too.

D94

HSC
N/A
Laptop for uni- preferably an ultrabook with good battery life.

I love my iPad and my Macbook Air but if I had to choose one for uni, definitely the latter. With the iPad you'll always be hoping you don't need to login to any websites which don't support it, or the horrendous uni intranet pages, etc... and you never know what crap the lecturers are going to put in there which may or may not display right (e.g. the gened courses and their very outdated multimedia). Safer to go with the laptop. It's also easier (imo) to take notes than the ipad which feels rather restrictive in terms of what you can do. Maybe when Word comes out it'll be better but nothing beats sheer convenience of a true laptop. Macs are great because you can always find a charger (since they are largely compatible) but a Windows laptop works fine too.
Word on iPad? That's already possible. It's called Pages and works perfectly like MS Word.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not the same unfortunately at least for my needs but might be sufficient for a typical uni student. Given the focus on group work in uni assignments I don't think I'd want to be the one who is trying to do everything in a different format to others. And yes I am aware that it can save in word compatible formats.

At least word is currently being developed by MS for iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
Fair enough, it was only meant to demonstrate there are better methods of "note" taking, as you did mention the restrictiveness of note taking on the iPad in your previous post.

And I highly doubt anyone would be brave enough to do their assignment on an iPad. As you did mention note taking, I find using Pages is far better than the Notepad app on the iPad.

Jonneeh

HSC
Sadly 16GB wifi was sold out at big W and target. Would other stores say Apple hq or jbhifi price match since its like 30-40$ cheaper?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough, it was only meant to demonstrate there are better methods of "note" taking, as you did mention the restrictiveness of note taking on the iPad in your previous post.

And I highly doubt anyone would be brave enough to do their assignment on an iPad. As you did mention note taking, I find using Pages is far better than the Notepad app on the iPad.
That's true. The Notes app on the iPad really is just for one off notes.

I've seen people use a stylus to take notes down in meetings that way but it just doesn't capture it in a very easy to read/use manner. Far better off either typing on a laptop or scribbling on a (paper) note pad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)