Ipads? An investment or a waste? (1 Viewer)

Jonneeh

HSC
Thinking about buying an ipad but I'm trying to justify whether I'll end up using it productively.
Or would it better a similar tablet, if so which one.

What are you thoughts on ipads for lectures and general use at uni/travel.

Note: Don't have an iphone or a laptop/notebook

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
A laptop would probably be more suitable. I don't go to uni, but iPads, and all iOS for that matter, are pretty limited in what they can do compared to laptops.

ct92

HSC
I have both an iPad and a laptop, and I bring my iPad to university almost exclusively. I find my laptop is a bit heavy and cumbersome, and the iPad allows me to type or draw or annotate PDFs, which is everything I'd need to do in a lecture. It's also easier than a laptop if you want to be productive on buses or trains, and has a far longer battery than my laptop. I take it with me everywhere in my handbag, and it's almost replaced my laptop for travel as well.

I'd say to get one if you're looking for something light and portable but with all the functions you'll need in a classroom. That said, if you don't have easy access to an actual computer and can only buy one device, an iPad can't replace all the functions of a laptop, especially when it comes to writing essays and that sort of thing.

As to whether to get an iPad or another tablet, that depends what kind of OS you prefer. If you're using an iPhone or a Mac already, you know how to use an iPad. If you're using an Android phone, you might prefer another tablet. If you aren't familiar with either, maybe have a bit of a play with a couple of tablets at a store or read some reviews and see which one you like.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Actually ct is right in terms of battery life. My laptop only has 2 hours battery, and im sure my ipad2 would last much longer

Jonneeh

HSC
I would understand that a laptop would have better functionality overall, but my personal or uni desktop computer could cover the more intensive work. But in terms of what i would be using it for as ct stated (lectures/surfing the web etc) an ipad would be more then enough.

The Ipad i think would be of better use when traveling due to its size. I mean whenever i catch the train its completely packed (peak hours). Taking out a notebook would be too cumbersome compared to say a tablet.

In terms of battery life i dont think that would be an issue due to the availability of power points and stuff at uni.

I have the money but $500 for 16GB wifi ipad seems abit excessive

madharris

HSC
N/A
I think it's mainly on preference.

They both have their pros and cons but in my opinion, I like my laptop better because it's just easier and overall I can use it a lot better than my ipad (mind you I have the first gen ipad)

HSC
Uni Grad
For the huge price tag I really cannot see why anyone would just not buy a laptop.

TheStallion

HSC
It depends on what degree you do. For Eng people it would be a total waste of time, just write the maths on some bloody paper and you're done. If you're in a more designy sort of subject where there's lots of drawing, then an iPad might be an option.

theycallmebob

HSC
if you want a portable web browser/organiser, may as well go for an iPhone.

if you want productivity you may as well spend a little extra and get a decent laptop.

but then again, they are fun toys if you have a little extra cash, but I wouldn't get one.

Dylanamali

HSC
suggestion for something between a tablet and a laptop = asus transformer.

but yeah, having just purchased the new ipad, i'm definitely in favour of the tablets over the laptops. I have friends who at uni who always bring their laptops and even though they are the lightweight super thin models, they're still rarely pulled out unless at lectures. With a tablet, it's so convenient to use on the go and the added battery life is such a plus. The only real downside to a tablet is typing speed but that can easily be fixed with the purchase of a keyboard. IMO tablet > laptop.
Beware, however of the use of the ipad just for games.. i've gotten into this trap =/

Jonneeh

HSC
With a tablet, it's so convenient to use on the go and the added battery life is such a plus. The only real downside to a tablet is typing speed but that can easily be fixed with the purchase of a keyboard. IMO tablet > laptop.
Beware, however of the use of the ipad just for games.. i've gotten into this trap =/
The keyboard itself is abit expensive.
Could you go elaborate on the game thing? Are you trying to say its not a very good gaming platform?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The keyboard itself is abit expensive.
Could you go elaborate on the game thing? Are you trying to say its not a very good gaming platform?
I think he is referring to it being a distraction perhaps?

HSC
Uni Grad
I think he is referring to it being a distraction perhaps?
Me too, lol I spent a whole lecture watching some kid play GTA 3 half way across the lecture theatre cos it was 16436523526x more interesting than the lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)