Is 14 Units too much? (1 Viewer)

stevey6404

HSC
Our school makes us do at least 13 units (cause it gives you more options, as they answered) but with that, I would have to choose a single 1 unit subject, which is, besides the extension subjects, Religious Education or Sound Production.

I just did my subject selection and I've chosen 14 units.

Extension English
Extension Maths
Physics
Engineering Studies
Economics
Software Design and Development

Total: 14

I chose 14 units because I don't really want to do Religious Education or Sound production because I don't enjoy them, bit boring I must say.

Would I be able to live through year 11 with those subjects and/or would they result in stacks of homework?

I want to consider dropping to advance english but I want to have some experience of what Extension English feels like and if I don't like it, I'll drop it in year 12.

Thank you.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally think it is too much but a lot of people can cope with it.

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
I would have to agree with the workload, I would have liked to do 13 units too but my school can't support it with the period system they have.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
hi five
im doing 14 units as well (Y)
mx1
english ext 1
phy
chem
sdd
eco

lol im just doing it as i might drop english ext 1..and for the challenge XDD

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Ahh, yes I believe it is a lot. You want seperate your hours evenly towards your study in all subjects, and be able to put enough time into them.

jonowang

HSC
yeah i would have to agree with everyone else, 14 units is a really large workload. but if you think you can handle it, go ahead

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Good amount to begin with in year 11.

You can have more choices in regards to dropping.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If you are a lazy person, 14 units will really get you working and break those annoying procrastinating habits. Good work ethic is important guys. :)

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i ended up carrying 14 units in yr 12, which is a LOT. especially when you consider 4 units worth wont even be counted in your final ATAR. often you'd be better sticking with less and really putting the effort into them in order to maximise your marks.

also keep in mind the time commitment, as well as doing the actual work, you wont get any free periods at school, and will have extra out side classes as well. are you prepared to commit to this?

Brontecat

HSC
^_^
+1

Its a really big decision to take on 14 units, this year i did the equivalent of 14 units and can honestly say that i find it terrible, it is much harder to commit to long-term study with that amount of work. However, if you're the right kind of person that could handle that i'd say go for it, as you always have the option of dropping it in yr 11, although i would advise that you only take 12 units into the hsc if you struggle with it in year 11. Is it worth having two back up subjects for your ATAR or is it worth having one subject to spare and a whole lot of extra time.

hope i helped in some way, i think towards the end i went of on a bit of a tangent :)

killua_3

HSC
i suppose it kinda depends on how good you are with the chosen subjects. if you are really good, then i suppose you can balance the time needed nicely.

it doesnt matter really, since you are dropping 1 for hsc anyway. just make sure you know what to drop so you don't put too much effort in to it. likewise, if you changes your mind, then you've got to pick everything up, which is quite annoying and time consuming

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Many people would say 14 units is good because:
- It gives you a lot of variety, incase you change your mind
- It reduces procrastination in year 12 .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)