Is cramming an effective study technique? (1 Viewer)

Do you cram?

• Total voters

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Law is just words so it's definetly crammable you dolt. Frank Abagnale knew nothing about law and managed to pass the Lousiana bar by cramming for two weeks.

Calculation based subjects are more harder to cram for because you need practice for answering the question but it definetly is still possible
Haha just words.

Keep your mouth shut if you don't know shit. Law is logical problem solving, it's as difficult if not more than 'calculation based subjects' (wtf are 'calculation based subjects' anyway, you dolt?)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha just words.

Keep your mouth shut if you don't know shit. Law is logical problem solving, it's as difficult if not more than 'calculation based subjects' (wtf are 'calculation based subjects' anyway, you dolt?)
hahaha you think you're top dog cause of your law degree

lol logical problem solving in Law. Law along with Arts and maybe commerce are degrees that any schmo that can read a book is able to do.

I'm also sorry to tell you that your pretentious law brain would not be able to handle the knowledge of what a calculation based subject is.

enoilgam

HSC
From what I have experienced so far, it isnt wise at all to cram from law. Yes, it is just words, but many law subjects can get extremely complicated and technical. Also, law is extremely content heavy, which pretty much rules out doing "last minute" jobs for major assignments and final exams.

Sure some students cram for law (many probably do actually), but you will find that most of the top law students do not cram. Obviously, calculation based subjects fall into the "non-crammable" catagory, but I think to say that law is crammable and everyone can do it is very ignorant.

Last edited:

ameher

HSC

lol logical problem solving in Law. Law along with Arts and maybe commerce are degrees that any schmo that can read a book is able to do.

I'm also sorry to tell you that your pretentious law brain would not be able to handle the knowledge of what a calculation based subject is.
Lol...... ah geez that makes me laugh. In my 4th year now and trust me, u can't cram law. Maybe in some earlier year subjects, but once u get further in, logical reasoning and problem solving kick in.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

I reiterate. You don't know shit, so please save yourself the embarrassment and shut the fuck up. I refuse to respond to this ignoramus any further.

madra

HSC
i do lots of work throughout the year, then relax for the week before the exam, then cram the day before and it always works out fine for english subjects. i don't think it would work for straight memorising subjects though.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha you kids have funny ideas on cramming.

I reckon cramming is when you don't do the prep before hand and only spend 2 days MAX cramming for it. Last minute revision is different from cramming. For me, it has worked in some subjects, but I've tried not to risk it for the HSC because you are MORE likely to do better with sustained study.

Federz

HSC
It's still effective in some circumstances like remembering all the basic principles of something or important dates or laws. So if you just rely on cramming you only remember the basic stuff and can't end up answering, effectively, the 25 mark essays and extended responses which makes up most of the test anyway. So overall, cramming is not good to do unless your a master at creating logical and concise essays without having done any previous practice and refining on essays leading up to an exam...I dont know many people like that anyway so if you only cram as a way to study for a test, your screwed.

Domsky

HSC
To me cramming is like an adreneline shot...the recent you use it, the more quicker and easier (for some) work will be because your under the pressure of accomplishing more because it's a last minute preparation, therefore you have the chance of either doing 'just fine' (for some) or its either 'completely wrecking your test'. Cramming can also add stress which is a very very negative vibe because you wouldn't be able to properly concentrate...however i am sure MOST people are already stressing (people who are unprepared mostly) but there are also some who are prepared but are also streessed. In this case, I would have to state that I myself SOMETIMES cram, mostly with the subjects i already know because, i mean what is the point of re study the content when you already know it off by heart....complete waste of time....no offence to some who does res study even though ur already good.
anyway I know cramming is incorrect but, you just got to know your capablities and your weakness in the end and then its up to you what subject you decide to cram on and the subjects you dont...so yeah...btw feel free to agree/disagree...i might be wrong in some cases ;)

shedona

HSC
it's definitely not possible for maths and for the sciences like physics and chemistry but for the humanities subjects such as geography and studies of religion and even english it's possible to cram quotes/statistics the night before

Zeroes

HSC
Generally no, but there are times when it can, depending on the person and the subject. I crammed for chem (14 hours of solid, efficient study the day before, including past papers) and physics (spread out over two days) for the trials which worked out great - but these are both subjects I'd worked hard for throughout the year, and I'd always paid attention in class and all that, so I don't know if that really counts as cramming in that case. The pressure of doing it the day before makes me focus much harder and work much more efficiently. I still wouldn't feel confident doing it for any other subject though.

Edit: That was just cramming on the content, by the way, I can do calculations fine for both so I didn't have to spend time studying that

Last edited:

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
i guess it depends on your definition of cramming as other people have stated. for my trials i had my notes ready and everything but didnt properly study until the day before. for example i didnt touch physics for 2 weeks, the day before i crammed all day and did a few past papers. got 87% in my trial. For content subjects i don't think it's effective to be learning stuff for the first time by cramming, but if it's something you're familiar with or subjects like english i do think that cramming prior to an exam can work. nothing can beat solid preparation leading up to an exam imo though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)