Is extension 2 english easy? (1 Viewer)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
A large majority of the people that i know told me that their reason for doing exten2 was to "escape" from advanced english (in the sense that their exten 1and 2 marks would be the 2 units of english in uai calculation). This doesnt make sense to me, if you dont like the 2 unit english course, why would you do an exten course? Additionally, everyone seems to love the idea of a subject that doesnt have an external exam, only a major work. Many people have told me that its the easiest subject around, and that the only things bad about it are that you have to do exten1 as a pre requisite (they would rather do exten2 without doing exten 1), and the large amounts of so called "research" you do is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
People like it because it's completely different to the Advanced and Extension 1 courses, so people who take it may not necessarily be totally in LOVE with the other courses.

For me at least, EE2 is almost like a breath of fresh air after having to go to all my other subjects, working through the courses topic by topic, etc. That becomes monotonous. I like EE2 because I choose everything I do - I can go virtually anywhere with my major work. It's not "easy", per se, it actually involves a LOT of hard work, but I do find it more enjoyable to work on. Also, the research itself doesn't really bother me but I hate the fact that I have to document every single bit of work that I do. At the same time though, I understand the reasons for having to do so.

The lack of exam didn't play a role in me choosing EE2. It was something I was interested in so I chose it. EE1 has an exam, so if I'd chosen any other 2-unit course to replace the English Extension ones then I wouldn't have any more exams than I have now. This is just what I'd prefer to do.

LordPc

HSC
A large majority of the people that i know told me that their reason for doing exten2 was to "escape" from advanced english (in the sense that their exten 1and 2 marks would be the 2 units of english in uai calculation). This doesnt make sense to me, if you dont like the 2 unit english course, why would you do an exten course? Additionally, everyone seems to love the idea of a subject that doesnt have an external exam, only a major work. Many people have told me that its the easiest subject around, and that the only things bad about it are that you have to do exten1 as a pre requisite (they would rather do exten2 without doing exten 1), and the large amounts of so called "research" you do is a pain in the ass.

I did EE2 because I hated the advanced english course for a number of reasons. I also thought EE1 was quite an interesting subject that was enjoyable so my plan was to have EE1 and EE2 be my 2 units of english, because I didnt think I would get near a band 6 in advanced, which is what happened in the end. Thats the reasoning, journeys was a terrible topic, Peter Skrzynecki writes poor poetry, Shakespeare still bores everyone, BR and BNW were interesting texts to study by themselves but connecting them through "In the Wild" is a stupid thing to do, and frontline was excellent, except my teacher was *cough* useless *cough*. So for someone in my situation, you can see why EE2 was an escape from advanced english which i wasnt at all confident in.

but there are other reasons to do EE2. The other people in my class had very different reasons:
  • one guy because he could
  • one guy because he was an excellent writer, he wasnt that good at english and didnt like it very much but he was excellent at writing
  • last guy did EE2 because he genuinly liked english (lol)
Yea the research is annoying, but if you do a major work on something that interests you, then the research can become more enjoyable and less of a pain. but by no means is it "easy". its an assignment that you constantly have to work on throughout the year. but in the end a good mark in EE2 will do wonders for your UAI

beve

Jesus
HSC
  • one guy because he was an excellent writer, he wasnt that good at english and didnt like it very much but he was excellent at writing
It's me! Not to play myself up, or anything like that, it's just an excuse for me to be creative for the whole year whilst making up 1 unit of study. And it scales pretty well, IF you do well in it. Which is a gamble to take. As far as the 'elite' subjects go, this one is definately the most enjoyable. Unless you're weird, and you actually enjoy math for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Don't look at how "hard" or "easy" a subject is.. it's hard to compare courses that way. Look at what you'll be doing and consider whether it's a fit for you as a student. For example:

• Are you good at managing your time? Will you be able to work on a major project between study for your other subjects? Do you have other projects that will also need your attention?
  • Do you enjoy self-motivated research? Do you have a keen interest in one of the areas of the other English courses that isn't really studied in the other streams of English?
  • Do you enjoy project work with regular assessments, or do you prefer an exam at the end of the year?
  • Are you comfortable with working with English in different structures: journals, diary entries, (longer) stories, multimedia presentations, websites?

For some people it's a no-brainer! It can be an "easy" subject, providing you manage your time, keep your journal updated, and work consistently on your major work. It can also be incredibly difficult and stressful!

ucon

HSC
for me english adv and english ext 2 were completely different.
unless you choose a genre somehow related (belonging??) or your area of study in eng ext 1 (eg crime fic or romanticism) ext 2 gives u the option of doing something you like.
if u choose something that you like and hopefully u wont get sick of then run with it... i mean its not even a year.. only like 8 months of something

i mean the only reason why i did ext 2 was to write my own story. lol i eventually did get sick of it tho..
you only really have to do your biggest research on ur major work before/during the proposal and some extra bits here and there after- nothing major really. unless its INCREDIBLY researchy based- lol like mine.

its a common occurrence for ppl to hate eng adv and ext 2 but LOVE ext 2- coz u do what u want to do. pretty simple you know..oh yeah and dont do ext 2 just coz u dont want to do an external- ext 2 is a shitload of work. trust me.

hope this helps

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
for me english adv and english ext 2 were completely different.
unless you choose a genre somehow related (belonging??) or your area of study in eng ext 1 (eg crime fic or romanticism) ext 2 gives u the option of doing something you like.
if u choose something that you like and hopefully u wont get sick of then run with it... i mean its not even a year.. only like 8 months of something

i mean the only reason why i did ext 2 was to write my own story. lol i eventually did get sick of it tho..
you only really have to do your biggest research on ur major work before/during the proposal and some extra bits here and there after- nothing major really. unless its INCREDIBLY researchy based- lol like mine.

its a common occurrence for ppl to hate eng adv and ext 2 but LOVE ext 2- coz u do what u want to do. pretty simple you know..oh yeah and dont do ext 2 just coz u dont want to do an external- ext 2 is a shitload of work. trust me.

hope this helps
Yeah i am one of those people who 'dislike' Advanced but find Extension II awesome. Mainly because you can choose a subject that interests you to a certain extent- but also one that will interest the marker. Like you said, after the initial research the rest is just fine tuning and adjusting parts you are unhappy with.

georgefren

HSC
Extension 2 is actually quite hard, in that you need to put in a lot of work for a one unit subject.

BUT its fun work, unlike say maths or histories or english2. Extension 2 is enjoyable if you just choose something that interests you.

LordPc

HSC
Lols.

Not good! This is encouraging me to be lazy :(
yes, well, thats the thing. many students do get very high marks based on a little, or in the previous case, a lot of BS.

but if you do the work you will definately get the high marks for the right reasons

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
yes, well, thats the thing. many students do get very high marks based on a little, or in the previous case, a lot of BS.

but if you do the work you will definately get the high marks for the right reasons
I'd prefer to think of it that my English talent was so well-developed after handing many imaginative and analytical responses to my 2- and 3- unit English teacher that by the time 4U came around I just knew how to play the game.

It's essentially what the HSC is.

P.S Reflection Statement may seem one of four criteria, but in my opinion its just as important as the actual major. I think I wrote a really good one - though at the time I thought it was awful.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm not sure that you can wonder whether EE2 is 'easy' or not.
If you choose to do something that's fairly hard to construct with limited research material, then it will be hard.
But as people have shown, you can rely wholly on complete BS and your own creative/analytical writing to see you through.

It's an unanswerable question.

starlight190

HSC
Actually doing the tasks of EE2 isn't too hard. But the marking is. So watch out for that. Would be wise to have more than 10 units if ur doing EE2

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Which form did you use?
A look at his siggy should tell you.
Either way, I think this subject requires at least some form of hard work. Nobody can compose a 50/50 piece of work the night before, nor can they do so without possessing the necessary skills, research or passions. So yes, some may find it 'easy' - - only because they enjoy it. I mean, can you call a game, like Guitar Hero, hard if you're good at it? But surely, some Joe off the street, who plays expert mode for the first time, will find Guitar Hero difficult will he not? Same principle here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)