Is having a relationship during school/university worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dragonangel

HSC
My sister had a boyfriend in high school who she adored. He dumped her and she was...hmmm... what's the word?... heartbroken I guess. It affected her deeply and she ended up doing terribly in year 12.

I chose not to have a boyfriend in high school... and I think I'll do the same for university.

It seems distracting, but what do you think?

audioxdoll

HSC
Ive been with my boyfriend since i was 14 and we've been together for 3 years... through school certificate, hsc, and now university.

Having a boyfriend as a distraction is irrelevant... its never going to work if your relationship doesnt work. Its a shame your sister picked such a dud, but hopefully she will be smarter next time to get over it. I think if you click with somone it shouldnt matter if theyre going to be a "distraction".

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I think the type of the relationship matters more than the timing of it. If you're immature and annoying as shit about how much 'in love' you are as a high school kid, then you're probably going to be 'heartbroken' when they cheat on you/you sleep around etc etc. I started dating my boyfriend a month before exams started and we're still together.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
real life (e.g. full time work, not living with ur parents, etc.) is far more stressful and busier than anything the hsc or uni can offer

so if u can't handle a relationship now...

audioxdoll

HSC
^ maturity is probably the most important factor... if your just shit at life its never going to work out.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
^ maturity is probably the most important factor... if your just shit at life its never going to work out.
You shouldn't let your sister's failure (to get over the relationship or to separate her life from a relationship) be the deciding factor as to whether boyfriends/girlfriends are worth it.

They're definitely worth it, I had a pretty serious relationship through my year 12 and I don't think it affected my marks all that much. You can manage a fairly social life with it all.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
yes because if both of you are hot you will be 'that couple' in school/uni and everyone will want to be friends with you and give you free stuff

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
imho you should try it. at tthe end of the day its just a bit of fun, i wouldnt take it too seriously at a young age

Dragonangel

HSC
I think the type of the relationship matters more than the timing of it. If you're immature and annoying as shit about how much 'in love' you are as a high school kid, then you're probably going to be 'heartbroken' when they cheat on you/you sleep around etc etc. I started dating my boyfriend a month before exams started and we're still together.
Ive been with my boyfriend since i was 14 and we've been together for 3 years... through school certificate, hsc, and now university.

Having a boyfriend as a distraction is irrelevant... its never going to work if your relationship doesnt work. Its a shame your sister picked such a dud, but hopefully she will be smarter next time to get over it. I think if you click with somone it shouldnt matter if theyre going to be a "distraction".
I see, so I guess it depends on who you are and how you take the relationship. I must admit, she was abit immature and obsessed with how in love she was. :p

Thanks guys

hey dragonangel wanna hook up?
Lol no thanks.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
real life (e.g. full time work, not living with ur parents, etc.) is far more stressful and busier than anything the hsc or uni can offer

so if u can't handle a relationship now...

This. Get used to juggling work, study and a relationship, it's what you'll be doing your entire life. If you can't make time for your partner with 20 contact hours at uni, how will you be able to do it when you're working 40 hours a week?

Relationships are (should be) something that helps you cope with stress and all that jazz.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
My sister had a boyfriend in high school who she adored. He dumped her and she was...hmmm... what's the word?... heartbroken I guess. It affected her deeply and she ended up doing terribly in year 12.

I chose not to have a boyfriend in high school... and I think I'll do the same for university.

It seems distracting, but what do you think?
Thinking like that seems, well, stupid. Just because you are studying doesn't mean you can't have a life! You are only young once and simply choosing not to date because you are in high school/uni is a pretty poor reason.

I have been with my boyfriend for over a year now and school doesn't really affect us. Sure, we both set time aside for it outside of school but we see each other so much anyway (during the week) that is doesn't really bother us.

That is what the teen years are for. Experimenting. And what about when uni wraps up? Do you really want to look back at the past four years and be glad you didn't date?

/end rant.

Dragonangel

HSC
Thinking like that seems, well, stupid. Just because you are studying doesn't mean you can't have a life! You are only young once and simply choosing not to date because you are in high school/uni is a pretty poor reason.

I have been with my boyfriend for over a year now and school doesn't really affect us. Sure, we both set time aside for it outside of school but we see each other so much anyway (during the week) that is doesn't really bother us.

That is what the teen years are for. Experimenting. And what about when uni wraps up? Do you really want to look back at the past four years and be glad you didn't date?

/end rant.
I did have a life thank you. :p Enjoying teen years doesn't have to involve having a relationship. I had great friends and met all sorts of people in exchange programs and such. :p

I don't/didn't really need a boyfriend, so when I look back at the past 5 years of high school, I am happy with what I've achieved, regardless of whether or not I did have a boyfriend.

rx34

HSC
No point planning whether to date or not in university. If you find someone you truly find irresistible (personality, humour, looks), I'm sure you will throw this guideline 'not to date in uni' out in the bin.

You're definitely more mature compared to high school now, so you can make your own decisions now. Just as long as you don't go for any 'tom dick or harry' and follow what your heart and brain tells you, you should be fine.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Good point eh. I wouldn't go out determined to find a man, but if one happens to come along that's fab, no point denying what you want because you're at uni.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Following your heart and following your brain are two completely different things.

tonyharrison

HSC
I had a bf during yr12 and though we've broken up now i found him really supportive and he always wanted me to do my best
So if you can find someone who shares the same views as you regarding uni/work/social life as well as being hot and having a large penis then there should be nothing stopping you :)

Dragonangel

HSC
No point planning whether to date or not in university. If you find someone you truly find irresistible (personality, humour, looks), I'm sure you will throw this guideline 'not to date in uni' out in the bin.

You're definitely more mature compared to high school now, so you can make your own decisions now. Just as long as you don't go for any 'tom dick or harry' and follow what your heart and brain tells you, you should be fine.
I agree. Thanks. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)