is smoking weed bad? (2 Viewers)

bio_nut

HSC
i've travelled outside my comfort zones.
been around the drug addicts on the streets of kings cross,
met up with some heavily affiliated gang figures, particularly those trafficking heroin.
now see you probably see a different perspective to me.

maybe you are in the receiving end of the deal.

it's like a mate of mine who grew up in the western suburbs.
he's now in the movie business, and he often tells me about how everyone in the entertainment buisness do drugs.. drugs which were probably sourced by his old mates.. made in their backyard labs.
I meant travelling the world. EVERYONE has seen those people in Kings Cross, hahaha.

No, I used to be involved with those kinds of people and into all that.
Then I went completely anti-drugs for a while.
Then I grew up. (see posts about life experiences)

You personally still have a lot of growing up to do, you think you're in the know, but you're incredibly naive.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I meant travelling the world. EVERYONE has seen those people in Kings Cross, hahaha.

No, I used to be involved with those kinds of people and into all that.
Then I went completely anti-drugs for a while.
Then I grew up. (see posts about life experiences)

You personally still have a lot of growing up to do, you think you're in the know, but you're incredibly naive.
yes but where most people choose to ignore them,
i treat them as brothers,
talk to them, bring them coffee
etc.

of course,
i'm not saying i'm more mature than you,
we all grow, learn from past mistakes, etc. even when we're 50... 60..
i've travelled to a few places.
i'd want to travel more though.
i will when i get the chance, first to the states, then to developing countries.

bio_nut

HSC
Big whoop, you act like a decent human being to them, what's your point? I've volunteered with organisations that help people like that out too.

Bascially though, anecdotal evidence from a few drug addicts you spoke to does not constitute scientific evidence. Therefore: you cannot claim weed to be a gateway drug, and you most definately cannot claim it to be STRONGLY linked to mental illness.

Learn2science.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I wouldn't say smoking weed is bad.

It's got so much medicinal potential it's almost upsetting that it's illegal. I wonder how many doctors recommend it off the books...

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Big whoop, you act like a decent human being to them, what's your point? I've volunteered with organisations that help people like that out too.
that's great.

Bascially though, anecdotal evidence from a few drug addicts you spoke to does not constitute scientific evidence.
i never constituted it as 'scientific evidence'

Therefore: you cannot claim weed to be a gateway drug, and you most definately cannot claim it to be STRONGLY linked to mental illness.

Learn2science.
you'll notice i never made a 'scientific statement', nor did i mention the word 'strongly'.

learn2read

unfortunately there's always studies/evidence showing that it does, then conflicting ones
kind of like the study for cellphone use - brain tumour risk

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
yes.

it has significant links to mental disorders, is illegal, and is often a gateway to much harder drugs.
I meant "significantly." That's just as bad as strongly.

And when you say things like that, the assumption is that you have evidence. And reliable evidence is scientifically produced.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I meant "significantly." That's just as bad as strongly.

And when you say things like that, the assumption is that you have evidence. And reliable evidence is scientifically produced.
there are studies that show a significant link.
unfortunately there are also studies that say the opposite

it's a matter or perspective i guess.

ie. who is funding the studies .. etc

edit:

and no significant is not similar to 'strongly'
significant =

sig⋅nif⋅i⋅cant
  /sɪgˈnɪfɪkənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sig-nif-i-kuhnt] Show IPA
Use significant in a Sentence
See web results for significant
See images of significant
–adjective
1. important; of consequence.
2. having or expressing a meaning; indicative; suggestive: a significant wink.
3. Statistics. of or pertaining to observations that are unlikely to occur by chance and that therefore indicate a systematic cause.

whereas:

strongly

strong
  /strɔŋ, strɒŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [strawng, strong] Show IPA adjective, strong⋅er  /ˈstrɔŋgər, ˈstrɒŋ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [strawng-ger, strong-] Show IPA , strong⋅est  /ˈstrɔŋgɪst, ˈstrɒŋ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [strawng-gist, strong-] Show IPA , adverb
Use strongly in a Sentence
See web results for strongly
See images of strongly
–adjective
1. having, showing, or able to exert great bodily or muscular power; physically vigorous or robust: a strong boy.
2. accompanied or delivered by great physical, mechanical, etc., power or force: a strong handshake; With one strong blow the machine stamped out a fender.
3. mentally powerful or vigorous: He may be old, but his mind is still strong.
4. especially able, competent, or powerful in a specific field or respect: She's very strong in mathematics. He's weak at bat, but he's a strong fielder.
5. of great moral power, firmness, or courage: strong under temptation.
6. powerful in influence, authority, resources, or means of prevailing or succeeding: a strong nation.
7. aggressive; willful: a strong personality.
8. of great force, effectiveness, potency, or cogency; compelling: strong reasons; strong arguments.
9. clear and firm; loud: He has a strong voice.
10. solid or stable; healthy; thriving: The banker predicted a strong economy.
11. well-supplied or rich in something specific: a strong hand in trumps.
12. having powerful means to resist attack, assault, or aggression: a strong fortress; a strong defense.
13. able to resist strain, force, wear, etc.: strong walls; strong cloth.
14. decisively unyielding; firm or uncompromising: She has strong views about the United Nations. He has a strong sense of duty.
15. fervent; zealous; thoroughgoing: He's a strong Democrat.
16. strenuous or energetic; vigorous: strong efforts.
17. moving or acting with force or vigor: strong winds.
18. distinct or marked; vivid, as impressions, resemblance or contrast: He bears a strong resemblance to his grandfather.
19. intense, as light or color.
20. having a large proportion of the effective or essential properties or ingredients; concentrated: strong tea.
21. (of a beverage or food) containing much alcohol: strong drink; The fruitcake was too strong.
22. having a high degree of flavor or odor: strong cheese; strong perfume.
23. having an unpleasant or offensive flavor or odor, esp. in the process of decay: strong butter.
24. of a designated number: Marines 20,000 strong.
25. Commerce. characterized by steady or advancing prices: The market resumed its strong pace after yesterday's setback.
26. Grammar.
a. (of Germanic verbs) having vowel change in the root in inflected forms, as the English verbs sing, sang, sung; ride, rode, ridden.
b. (of Germanic nouns and adjectives) inflected with endings that are generally distinctive of case, number, and gender, as German alter Mann “old man.”
c. belonging to the morphophonemically less regular of two inflectional subtypes.
27. (of a word or syllable) stressed.
28. Optics. having great magnifying or refractive power: a strong microscope.

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
unfortunately there's always studies/evidence showing that it does, then conflicting ones
kind of like the study for cellphone use - brain tumour risk
Have you personally read these studies and gauged their reliability?

bio_nut

HSC
re: strongly/significantly

you know what I mean you stupid fuck, you're just trying to draw attention away from your invalid arguments.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Have you personally read these studies and gauged their reliability?
which ones?

IIRC there was an article in the times this year about it.
yes i read that, and another study from some medical university from the states.
was in a medical journal

there's a number of studies.

unfortunately it doesn't really hold that much significance/importance for me to go and read every study/report on the issue.

but if you really want me to,
suggest to me a specific one, and i'll go read it.
then i'll point you to something else, as a rebuttal or whatever, and so forth

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
re: strongly/significantly

you know what I mean you stupid fuck, you're just trying to draw attention away from your invalid arguments.
you know, using offensive words just proves you've lost the argument.

and no, i'm just pointing out the flaws and inconsistencies in your own conclusions.
i did not make your own conclusions you did.

bio_nut

HSC
No, it proves I'm angry. For someone who is proclaiming to be rather wordly, you know quite little.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Risks are all relative, horse riding is heaps more dangerous than MDMA, make your own luck.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol solvents are less risky than pot, abos are onto something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)