• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Japanese celebrate defeat of bluefin tuna ban (1 Viewer)

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
Sydney Morning Herald said:
The Japanese government, sushi lovers and seafood traders at Tokyo's massive Tsukiji fish market on Friday cheered the defeat of a proposed ban on trade in endangered Atlantic bluefin tuna. The proposal for a ban on trade in hauls from Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic was crushed Thursday by a UN wildlife meeting in a move described by the European Commission as threatening the survival of the ocean predator.
"It was good," said Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. "It means the import of bluefin tuna will continue for the time being and I think it's good that the price of bluefin tuna will not rise further."
But he added that Japan "should be on alert as we still don't know what will happen" until the end next week of the meeting in Doha of the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
A smiling Finance Minister Naoto Kan said he often enjoys "negi-toro", minced fatty tuna mixed with leek usually served on rice.
"It's good that I will be able to keep eating it," he said.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano, the top government spokesman, said: "I am relieved that it was voted down last night. I am delighted about that.
"It is important to control natural resources as Japan has argued," he added in a regular news conference.
Environmental group Greenpeace warned the vote "sets the species on a pathway to extinction" although it is unclear exactly how long the worldwide bluefin population has left at current consumption rates.
Japan consumes three-quarters of all bluefin caught in the world's oceans, mainly raw as sushi and sashimi. A piece of "otoro" or fatty underbelly now costs 2,000 yen (22 US dollars) at high-end Tokyo restaurants.
Decades of overfishing have seen stocks crash by more than two-thirds in the Mediterranean, from where giant freezer ships have long headed for Japan.
Fish traders and chefs at Tokyo's Tsukiji market, the world's biggest, were heartened that they will be able to keep importing the species, which arrives deep-frozen by the hundreds for daily pre-dawn auctions.
Tuna traders at Tsukiji, the size of more than 40 football pitches, last week staged a protest against the proposed trade ban on the fish, which has fetched as much as 175,000 US dollars for a 232-kilogram (511-pound) specimen.
"It's really good that the proposal was voted down. Japanese people love tuna and salmon," said sushi chef Satoshi Suzuki, as he rolled out tuna for the lunchtime crowd at a restaurant on the edge of the market.
He said he recognised Japan should manage marine resources sustainably but added that ordinary people do not consume the prized fish in large quantities.
"People don't eat bluefin tuna every day unless they are rich," he said.
Japan had fought hard to block the trade ban proposal, arguing that the solution lies with enforcing existing quotas set by the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas.
Environmentalists complain that lax enforcement by ICCAT has already driven Atlantic bluefin tuna close to extinction.
Fisheries Minister Hirotaka Akamatsu said Japan would now exercise "leadership" in managing bluefin resources. "It's true that we now have the responsibility to do this," he said.
Not everyone in Japan was happy with the vote.
"We're disappointed by the decision," said Soyo Takahashi, a fisheries expert at the Japan office of Traffic, the wildlife trade monitoring network which cooperates with the CITES secretariat.
"We have not seen meaningful discussion on a recovery plan based on science for Atlantic bluefin tuna at the CITES meeting."
With bluefin and many other fish species in decline in the world's oceans, she said, "Japanese consumers of sushi need to rethink their lifestyle and choose seafood from sustainable fisheries."

Japan celebrates defeat of bluefin tuna trade ban

Never mind the fact that it's critically endangered, as long as those fat Japanese people can continue to eat their tasty whale, dolphins and now tuna! First Pearl Harbour, then the Electric Soldier Porygon, and now this! Outrageous!

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
Re: I am convinced that Japanese people are heartless tyrants!

Yes, well, perhaps, its the small penis thing? :spam:

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

its a fish get over it

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC

Yes, well, perhaps, its the small penis thing? :spam:
i think so! they're still upset after the mass lulz of hiroshima so they think they can get away with this. we ought to build a giant wall around japan so they can't access the poor fishy.

:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

"Japanese people love tuna and salmon"

Well yes, that's all very well and good. But if you want your children to be able to try it, you'd better stop consuming it at this rate. For a country that's supposed to be all innovative and smart, they're pretty fucking stupid when it comes to fishing.

Surely it's not THAT big a deal to just choose seafood from sustainable fisheries? The survival of a species is more important than deliciousness.

Titburger

HSC

Surely it's not THAT big a deal to just choose seafood from sustainable fisheries? The survival of a species is more important than deliciousness.
Endangered species taste better

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

^^

so true lol

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

Maybe the ones who love fish are heartless?

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC

no its the japaners

boganxcore

HSC

japanese are the WORST

just as bad as muslims

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC

"oh hey they nuked us"

"maybe we should deprive the world by eating all the shit in the ocean"

"k"

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC

and be exporting tv shows that give our children seizures

HSC

"Japanese people love tuna and salmon"

Well yes, that's all very well and good. But if you want your children to be able to try it, you'd better stop consuming it at this rate. For a country that's supposed to be all innovative and smart, they're pretty fucking stupid when it comes to fishing.

what gives their children the right to the last piece of blue-fin tuna?

why shouldn't the japs of today have it?

MonkEE

HSC
N/A

They say Japanese have the most stomach problem because they eat too much raw fish. They can take that..

pman

Banned
HSC

Japan celebrates defeat of bluefin tuna trade ban

Never mind the fact that it's critically endangered, as long as those fat Japanese people can continue to eat their tasty whale, dolphins and now tuna! First Pearl Harbour, then the Electric Soldier Porygon, and now this! Outrageous!
Don't take this tyhe wrong way but I'd be surprised if you knew the true story of pearl harbour, most people don't.....

Everything you have heard is true, except the fact that the attack was unprovoked, if you'd been blockading my country so we can't import food or oil, I'd be bombing your military base too

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC

cool story bro
by which i mea
jap sympathiser

*reports to ASIO*

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Haha sweet sweet anchovies.

Are these fish able to be farmed? Is there a massive taste difference between farmed fish and wild fish?

I don't know fish heh.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Tuna can be and are 'farmed', but farming generally involves catching wild juveniles and fattening them up, not breeding them.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
i saw a video of a definned shark. Wasn't at all pleasant to watch.

Asian people are pretty heartless when it comes to animals, hey?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)