Just A Little Advice To High Achievers (1 Viewer)

Chantel12

HSC
im proof that u can get over 90+ and do LOW scaling subjects... i did

standard english
general maths
business sutdies
legal studies
art
1 unit Re

and i didnt go to a top school...my advice...

1) do the subjects you LIKE and are good at!
2) and smash them!

for 2 years i questioned if i should have done advance english but i did standard, came first in english and top 9 in the rest of my subjects and got a uai of 92.30

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
munchiecrunchie said:
my pieces of advice:

- 13 units can be somewhat of a waste of time in retrospect. stick to 12, 11 or 10

- you can do a low scaling subject and still have it help substantially towards your uai. I did legal and got 95 for it, and it made a sigificant contribution

- be prepared for the worst. sometimes, unexpected events can happen, and the bos + uac sometimes aren't of much help. the best way to be prepared for this is to be CONSISTENT with your work, so that you're not left with piles of work in a time when you're not in a state to be able to do it.

- don't give up all your outside activities - perhaps leave one occasional activity to relax your mind a bit. its refreshing and keeps you sane, and in the long run is beneficial to your results.
hm...

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Chantel12 said:
im proof that u can get over 90+ and do LOW scaling subjects... i did

standard english
general maths
business sutdies
legal studies
art
1 unit Re

and i didnt go to a top school...my advice...

1) do the subjects you LIKE and are good at!
2) and smash them!

for 2 years i questioned if i should have done advance english but i did standard, came first in english and top 9 in the rest of my subjects and got a uai of 92.30
Wow thats great! I feel motivated now, thanks :)

And was that top 9 in the state? O_O

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Cinnamonster said:
Wouldn't a band 6 in anything be good?
Yes a band 6 is always good, but i mean getting a band would be very hard.

Wouldn't a band 6 in standard english still scale down compared to other subjects? Or would it scale higher because it's hard to get one?

And i don't regret doing 13 HSC units, i enjoy all of them so i couldn't dream of dropping any :p

jollymolly

HSC
as long as u kill it in your low scaling subjects you'll get pretty high

i did all low scaling subjects

1. stand eng - 92
2. pdhpe - 94
3. community and family studies- 94
4. hospitality 94
5. 2 unit maths. 95

and got a uai of 97.8.

maybe the 2 unit maths scaled me up but i wouldnt have got anywhere near 97.8 if it wasn't for my "low scaling" subs :):):)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
jollymolly said:
as long as u kill it in your low scaling subjects you'll get pretty high

i did all low scaling subjects

1. stand eng - 92
2. pdhpe - 94
3. community and family studies- 94
4. hospitality 94
5. 2 unit maths. 95

and got a uai of 97.8.

maybe the 2 unit maths scaled me up but i wouldnt have got anywhere near 97.8 if it wasn't for my "low scaling" subs :):):)
nice marks, yeah so basically you'd need to do fantastic in ur subjects if they're "low scaling" as u can see above

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Good luck on those doing "low scaling" subjects. I honestly think i'd die of most of those subjects if i did them.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
lyounamu said:
seriously namu i really think it may have been

although i think i'll modify my statement there: if you are a capable student, STOP DOUBTING YOURSELF and stick to 12, 11 or 10 units.

and btw namu congrats on your state ranking, nice to see some accelerants up there =)

petite chimiste

HSC
Cinnamonster said:
And anyone who can achieve a Band 6 in PDHPE is a legend. I've heard it was a terribly difficult subject.
Ha...
If I don't get a band 6 in PE i'll cry!!
I actually wish i did more low scaling subjects - No study and top marks :D Its brilliant haha

danq

HSC
You need to be pretty tactical in the way you choose your subjects. A combination of things you like or are good at.
My sister just finished and did 3 major work subjects. Of course people tried to warn her against this but in truth she was best suited to study/working alone. She also did a few of the 'weaker' subjects. Again some conventional wisdom warned her against this ...scaling etc. In the event she took 7 individual subjects........
Adv Eng; Ex 1 Eng; Ex 2 Eng; Beginners Spanish; Anc History; History Ex and Visual Arts..........scored Band 6 in all of them and made the All Rounders list. She found a way of coping with HSC that worked for her.

noob!

HSC
gibbo153 said:
yeah.

people are like 'ZOMGGG DO SUBJECTS THAT SCALEZ HEAPZ GUDD'

then they do them, and suck at them, then get sucky results, and suck.

do subjects you are good at, so you do well in them, and maximise your results despite your subject 'scaling poorly'
Someone has some common sense, thank goodness. i know a girl that missed out on her uai for a uni course and said to me if only i did extension 2 maths instead of general......."would have scaled so much better".. i find if u are capable of doing moderate to well in advanced then you should definately do adv englished or 2u maths over standard english /gen maths and such, but its all a matter of opinion. You still have to balance your natural ability at subjects with the scaling. I chose to do subjects i liked as well as subjects i was good at that scaled well also, i.e i did ext. 1 maths adv english, chem, bio, etc and jap continuers because although i wasn't great at it i enjoyed it. Still managed to get a good uai despite getting 76/100 for jap.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
in relation to the no. of units thing..

IF you have a subject you know you won't do as well in, then drop it. i regret keeping extension english, knowing that it was my weakest subject. probably spent wayyy too much time on that, whilst it couldve been devoted to something else.

in the end, 46 in ex1, 49 in SOR didnt count, and 96 in 2u maths counted for only 1 unit. some effort waste there, but i dont regret the maths and SOR, cos they were genuine back-ups, and im happy for them not to count. the english, though, was a mistake. try to identify this quickly. every student knows what they dont like or are not as good at.

friction

HSC
petite chimiste said:
Ha...
If I don't get a band 6 in PE i'll cry!!
I actually wish i did more low scaling subjects - No study and top marks :D Its brilliant haha
Hehe thats wat i did but i only got 95 in the test which was rather dissapointing.

friction

HSC
Arowana21 said:
DO NOT DO FUKING CRAP SUBJECTS LIKE HOSPITALITY, or PDHPE etcetcetce....they give u sooo fuking low scaling it is not funny
PPL DONT LISTEN TO OP HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. The key is to do well and dont do too many. I got a UAI of 98.35 with PE. It is fine to do the subjects jsut do well and not too many.

ALso i agree with doin stuff you like i hated chem and it ended up my worst subject (apart from english but thats a must).

Also i am a believer of dont do more then you need do as little units as possible.

I also had a mate that did
Adv English
Bio
Buisness
PE
SOR
Modern History

And he got 93.4. He didnt even do maths.

Last edited:

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
of course u can do well in those dumb subjects, BUT IT IS VERY HARD TO. IF ALL 10 of your UNITS WAS DUMB SUBJECTS, U WOULD NEED TO WORK UBER HARD AND TRY AIM FOR A HSC MARK OF 95.
LETS SAY WE COMPARE THIS TO 4U MATHS, I GOT A FRIKIN HSC MARK OF 83 WHICH I BELIEVE I TECHNICALLY FAILED MY RAW MARKS, BUT THE MARK OF 83 SCALES TO A MARK OF 98.8 WHICH IS THEN USED TO CALCULATE MY UAI. SO FOR A SUBJECT THAT I TECHNICALLY FAILED IN THE HSC TURNS OUT TO BE THE 1ST SUBJECT THAT IS COUNTED TOWARDS THE UAI.
I AGREE WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT IF U WORK SUPER HARD AND DO GET 95+ AS A HSC MARK U WILL SURELY GET A HIGH UAI

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Arowana21 said:
of course u can do well in those dumb subjects, BUT IT IS VERY HARD TO. IF ALL 10 of your UNITS WAS DUMB SUBJECTS, U WOULD NEED TO WORK UBER HARD AND TRY AIM FOR A HSC MARK OF 95.
LETS SAY WE COMPARE THIS TO 4U MATHS, I GOT A FRIKIN HSC MARK OF 83 WHICH I BELIEVE I TECHNICALLY FAILED MY RAW MARKS, BUT THE MARK OF 83 SCALES TO A MARK OF 98.8 WHICH IS THEN USED TO CALCULATE MY UAI. SO FOR A SUBJECT THAT I TECHNICALLY FAILED IN THE HSC TURNS OUT TO BE THE 1ST SUBJECT THAT IS COUNTED TOWARDS THE UAI.
I AGREE WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT IF U WORK SUPER HARD AND DO GET 95+ AS A HSC MARK U WILL SURELY GET A HIGH UAI
well said.

jet

Banned
HSC
Well, if a mark of 83 translates to a 98.8 what would a 95 scale to?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
that's bs, 83 in 4unit is prolly closer to 75-80/100 in terms of its contribution.

cxlxoxk

HSC
my friend did BOTH hospo and pdphe

hospo - 93
pdhpe - 92

and she also got a low 80's (83) mark for ENGLISH

and still got 92.65 uai!!!

so this thread is an epic lie...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)