• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type??????? (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Re: Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type???

just to let you know, apply for retail stores right after the trials, it's the best time to do so (Y)
That sounds like the best time for me to apply for a place like Gloria Jeans. Can I ask why after the trials is the best time to apply though?

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type???

That sounds like the best time for me to apply for a place like Gloria Jeans. Can I ask why after the trials is the best time to apply though?
During November - January is the Christmas period, when all the sales go up, thus there is a need for a lot more people to work for retail. Most people apply during September for Christmas work, however, I do recommend applying in August because your application will be considered earlier, which will be better. Also, for you, between the trials and the HSC study break, you won't be doing too much, so may as well apply for Christmas work during that time. (Y)

studysaurus

HSC
N/A

You can also try pick/packing roles in warehouses. This is something that I've seen a lot of people our age do. Most places don't ask for work experience and it's a good start block. It might be a bit hard to get a job in this field at the moment but definitely come Christmas time, these positions are almost certainly going to explode. Most take you on a contractor basis so the pay will be pretty decent too ($18+/hour on most places I've seen/been to.)

Dylanamali

HSC

I plan to get a job before going to university. Gloria Jeans doesn't sound too bad :)

Stupid question but are you allowed to ask your employer if you can only work on the weekends?
Yeah of course you can ask for only weekend shifts.. but admittedly this will likely drop your likelihood of employment, if they are looking at staff with high availabilities.
I've worked at and managed a Gloria Jean's store.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

During November - January is the Christmas period, when all the sales go up, thus there is a need for a lot more people to work for retail. Most people apply during September for Christmas work, however, I do recommend applying in August because your application will be considered earlier, which will be better. Also, for you, between the trials and the HSC study break, you won't be doing too much, so may as well apply for Christmas work during that time. (Y)
Thanks 4025808! That was really helpful and I will keep that in mind when that time comes round!

Yeah of course you can ask for only weekend shifts.. but admittedly this will likely drop your likelihood of employment, if they are looking at staff with high availabilities.
I've worked at and managed a Gloria Jean's store.
But if you are a high school student or university student, you would only be able to get weekend shifts, wouldn't you?

Dylanamali

HSC

High school student: thursday night, saturdays, sundays.. also if your a senior, you can generally finish early and thus work on other weekdays say 1pm - close. You should aim to be available, minimum 3 shifts, ideally minimum 4 shifts a week.

Uni student: majority of uni students don't go to uni 5 days a week.. and even then, their days aren't 6 hours like school, so they can practically work everyday.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

But if you are a high school student or university student, you would only be able to get weekend shifts, wouldn't you?
Many uni students have days off from class during the week. Keep in mind these places are open seven days a week, an applicant who is only available for two of those days is never going to look as good as someone who can work weekdays as well as weekends.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

High school student: thursday night, saturdays, sundays.. also if your a senior, you can generally finish early and thus work on other weekdays say 1pm - close. You should aim to be available, minimum 3 shifts, ideally minimum 4 shifts a week.

Uni student: majority of uni students don't go to uni 5 days a week.. and even then, their days aren't 6 hours like school, so they can practically work everyday.
Many uni students have days off from class during the week. Keep in mind these places are open seven days a week, an applicant who is only available for two of those days is never going to look as good as someone who can work weekdays as well as weekends.
Thanks! So it would obviously be okay if my working times are not the same everyday?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks! So it would obviously be okay if my working times are not the same everyday?
This type of work is flexible in nature, so yes.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Yup, however keep in mind that many retail stores will often only have full day shifts available (ie. from 8.30am -5.30pm), so its not going to be much use if you can only start at 1pm or something. The exception would be Thursdays (late night shopping), where there is usually a swap over in the afternoon.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

This type of work is flexible in nature, so yes.
Yup, however keep in mind that many retail stores will often only have full day shifts available (ie. from 8.30am -5.30pm), so its not going to be much use if you can only start at 1pm or something. The exception would be Thursdays (late night shopping), where there is usually a swap over in the afternoon.
Thanks OzKo and -may-cat- :)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A

wouldn't you be studying? :S
also am i allowed to just quit the job when uni comes because it might clash ?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

wouldn't you be studying? :S
also am i allowed to just quit the job when uni comes because it might clash ?
Studying for what?

An application is an application. It shouldn't impinge on a student's ability to study unless they are incapable of managing their own time.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A

Studying for what?

An application is an application. It shouldn't impinge on a student's ability to study unless they are incapable of managing their own time.
my bad. read it wrong so are you allowed to just quit the job when uni comes because it might clash ?

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A

my bad. read it wrong so are you allowed to just quit the job when uni comes because it might clash ?
I suppose but all my employers so far have tried to work around my uni timetable

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I suppose but all my employers so far have tried to work around my uni timetable
You either must be a very valuable worker, or your employers are having a hard time finding another worker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)