Least favourite maths topic. (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Most of maths doesn’t exist. For example, there is no such thing as negative numbers. I can’t hold in my hand negative-something, there is no thing that is below zero. Subtraction doesn’t exist either. It is just adding negative numbers, which don’t exist. Addition doesn’t exist either because it is just subtracting negative numbers, which don’t exist. Multiplication doesn’t exist because it is just repeated addition, which doesn’t exist. Division? It doesn’t exist either, because it’s just multiplying decimals. Since multiplying doesn’t exist, how can you multiply decimals? Square roots are just dividing, which doesn’t exist. For this reason, there should be no math other than learning numbers. We should receive no math instruction after preschool. Maths is a mental disorder.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
I love consumer...hate anything to do with algebra:evilfire:

Bobbo1

HSC
Most of maths doesn’t exist. For example, there is no such thing as negative numbers. I can’t hold in my hand negative-something, there is no thing that is below zero. Subtraction doesn’t exist either. It is just adding negative numbers, which don’t exist. Addition doesn’t exist either because it is just subtracting negative numbers, which don’t exist. Multiplication doesn’t exist because it is just repeated addition, which doesn’t exist. Division? It doesn’t exist either, because it’s just multiplying decimals. Since multiplying doesn’t exist, how can you multiply decimals? Square roots are just dividing, which doesn’t exist. For this reason, there should be no math other than learning numbers. We should receive no math instruction after preschool. Maths is a mental disorder.
Someone had a bad time in Maths at school...

But for me it's probably conics, had no practical relevance. Then again it's probably the process of doing the questions that we improve our algebraic, problem solving skills..

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

But for me it's probably conics, had no practical relevance. Then again it's probably the process of doing the questions that we improve our algebraic, problem solving skills..
Except that Conics has a lot of practical relevance, just none of which is taught at High School.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

We study conic sections because they are heavily used in astronomy because more often than not, the orbit of an object is elliptical in nature.

Also, it has heavy applications in something called the 'slingshot effect':

http://webphysics.iupui.edu/warmup/iupui_archive/152gif/trajectory_lg.gif

Where we utilise a planet's gravity to 'slingshot' the satellite out of the orbit. At what angle and velocity should the satellite travel at, such that it escapes the orbit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

Think of the planet as a kind of 'focus' in which the gravity is concentrated.

Also, more recently appearing in cycling, are elliptical gears as opposed to circular gears, because it decreases chances of jams when changing gears: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Elliptical_gears

The parabola is a conic section too, and you may know that it has huge applications in physics as a light reflector, a satellite receiver and of course in the study of projectiles.

Hyperbolas have many applications in the study of GPS systems, using the definition of it with the eccentricity (maintaining a fixed ratio) in a process called 'Trilateration': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration

Not to mention the circle, which is also a conic section, and I highly doubt I need to go into detail about how much the circle is used in real life.

yasminee96

HSC
2U : Anything to do with money.
3U : i dont think there's anything i dislike here...probably related rates could've been a tad more interesting though.
4U (prediction) : looks like conics...anything where i have to memorise formulae makes me wanna sit and cry in a corner all day :(

scenario

HSC
2u- consumer arithmetic (I don't think ill ever understand such nonsense)

HSC
...You people are crazy!

Financial maths is fucken awesome. And its relatively straightforward after you master a few examples. It's good for using to calculate approximately how much interest you'll earn (without those pesky bank calculator's that don't exactly work - except usually saving's accounts' interest is calculated daily but paid monthly...)

PROBABILITY+PERMS+COMBS SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE. Never understood it properly... I hope uni probability or probability theory (?) is more interesting... Or combinatorics... :chainsaw2:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
...You people are crazy!

Financial maths is fucken awesome. And its relatively straightforward after you master a few examples. It's good for using to calculate approximately how much interest you'll earn (without those pesky bank calculator's that don't exactly work - except usually saving's accounts' interest is calculated daily but paid monthly...)

PROBABILITY+PERMS+COMBS SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE. Never understood it properly... I hope uni probability or probability theory (?) is more interesting... Or combinatorics... :chainsaw2:
That's the problem. Its not fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)