Length Contraction Question 0.99999c answers (1 Viewer)

whitnall8

HSC
What did people get for part a) and b) of the length contraction question?

astroe

HSC
I forgot part a) but for part b) I got like 750/760 years or something like that, forgot too.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
yep i got 760 light years.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
The nearest galaxy to ours is the Large Megallanic Cloud, with it's centre located 1.7x10^5 light years from Earth. Assume you are in a spacecraft travelling at a speed of 0.99999c towards the Large Megallanic cloud.

a) In your frame of reference, what is the distance between Earth and the large Megallanic cloud?

760.26ly

b) In your frame of reference, how long will it take you to travel from Earth to the Large Megallanic Cloud

760.27years

I reckon more than anything they will be very picky about units

Last edited:

slamduncs

HSC
N/A
So it is 760. I hope I wrote that and I'm remembering 726 for some weird reason.

M@ster P

HSC
The nearest galaxy to ours is the Large Megallanic Cloud, with it's centre located 1.7x10^5 light years from Earth. Assume you are in a spacecraft travelling at a speed of 0.99999c towards the Large Megallanic cloud.

a) In your frame of reference, what is the distance between Earth and the large Megallanic cloud?

760.26ly

b) In your frame of reference, how long will it take you to travel from Earth to the Large Megallanic Cloud

760.27years

fuck i got both of them right, but the second one I put light years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so yeah 1 mark down the drain, I swear these calculations are what gonna differentiate the students there is so much to consider, you have to put the right units for your answer, convert cm into m, g into kg.........then you have get the right method, get the right answer....................when i was doing them i had to change my working like 3 times cause i forgot to change the units

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol I did 2.4 * 10^10 seconds.. which ends up being 760 years
Yaaaay

carlytse621

HSC
for the first one I got a bigh number of distance coz i times c , so my unit is meter (but if u changed back to light year it will be 7xx light years too), will that be alright? :S
the second i got 7xx ......but damn! i put in second insetad of years :( 1 mark gone~

carlytse621

HSC
i did: length(v) = length(o) square root blablabla
but for length(o), I sub the original distance (something light year) times c
so i end up with a huge number
but on the second part u need to times c in the answer in part 1 as well....
so balance everythign all....
hmmmm....my explanation here is so confuse lol

shaon0

HSC

760.26ly

760.27years

I got the first one correct but the 2nd one incorrect.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

760.26ly

760.27years

Do you reckon they'll accept 760 light years and years? Cause I left mine to 2 sf. =( Cause, otherwise it looks like my answers are just the same, with only a change in units.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Do you reckon they'll accept 760 light years and years? Cause I left mine to 2 sf. =( Cause, otherwise it looks like my answers are just the same, with only a change in units.
If I was marking it, I wouldn't. Simply due to the number of sig figs in the velocity.

But, I'm a prick when I mark stuff... And ONLY then ;)

mR sinister

HSC
Ahh crap,
i wrote b) in light years, instead of years.....
Oh well stupid mistake. Hopefully they wouldnt mind ^^

123huss123

HSC
this is a pretyy retarded question but for somee weirdddddddddd reason i got the answer in light yearss i got 2.53 x 10^-6 light yearsss but if u convert that to seconds u still get same asnwer i thinkk ? wud u still get full markss
lma00 sadddd forr evenn thinkingg bout ittt hsc is overrrrrrr wtf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)