HSC
Uni Grad
i was under the impression that they're meant to be straight

or should they be like this?

maths94

HSC
i was under the impression that they're meant to be straight

or should they be like this?

They should be like the picture. l had the same notion as you, shouldn't they be straight. However as my teacher told me and answers they don't have to be necessarily straight as long as its a line.

thesinophile

HSC
N/A
in experiments, random uncontrolled factors will cause the data to deviate from the 'mathematical pattern' its supposed to follow. if in an ideal world the data follows a linear pattern then the line of best fit should be a straight line. if in an ideal world its some other curve, like an exponential or a parabola or whatever then the line of best fit should look like that. youre basically drawing what the line 'shouldve been' if it was an ideal world.

2011_

HSC
From my understanding, the picture above shows a curve of best fit but a line of best fit would be straight. Maybe I have got it wrong?

Aindan

HSC
lines of best fit CAN be curved, like the mass changes in fermentation prac - the line of best fit is often curved to represetn the lower rate of reaction

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
If it's a linear relationship then do a straight line. eg Swinging Pendulum graphing T^2 vs l.

If it's not a linear relationship then do a curved line eg most projectile motion stuff (which I'm guessing the pic is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)