lol hsc (1 Viewer)

Cowbell

HSC
yeah so umm...
Just starting the last year of school ever. Pretty pumped about that. Pretty pumped, but thus far, pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. I probably do about 1 hour of study a day. This seems bad. This should not be enough- its the HSC, right? All those years of teachers "prepping" you for 4 HOURS A NIGHT. And, there should be ramifications of doing not enough study, right? I should fall behind, perform poorly in assessments. I should be doing pretty badly with only 1 hour of study (including homework) a day.

But this is not the case. I'm far from the top of the class. I think after a few assessments during term 4 last year I'm running at maybe top 25 percentile in all of my subjects. Not amazing, but not bad. It feels like I must be doing something wrong, though. I feel pretty bad (for like a minute) after not studying, or during a study period when I'm sticking shit in a fan or something when I'm meant to be reading a book.

So tell me, BOS. Why is it so easy? I'm not a smart person, I often take longer than many others to grasp a concept in maths or see the real meaning in a passage in a book. So when will all this slacking bite me in the ass? When will I fail because of my current laziness? Help me out here. Give me some motivation to actually do some work. I want a 90- that's all I need for my pharmacy degree. Can I achieve this with this little study?

My subjects are 3u maths, 3u english, physics, chemistry. School rank about 150.

waryap

HSC
in a 200-100 ranked school you should be aiming for some top 10's and some top 20's to get a 90+ ATAR imo. acting lazy won't help. You'll end up having to catch up on all the work before an exam. at max you should be studying hardcore at least 2 weeks before any exam. But that's just my opinion. You can believe what you want to believe, but in the end... if you set yourself a goal... you have to achieve it... otherwise it's not even considered a goal. :pirate:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
well, as a kid 1 hour can seem like a lot

but like at uni i might end up spending 5 hours straight on a paper one night, then do 3-4 hours the next day on content, etc.

basically u have to try n get engaged with what ur studying, so then u study for however long it takes until ur satisfied u understand something, e.g. x number of dotpoints in science

if you find yourself counting down the time, ur probably not engaged and hence not learning much

90 isn't really hard... although it seems to get tighter every year in terms of how marks translate into ATAR so u could well miss out

Cowbell

HSC
in a 200-100 ranked school you should be aiming for some top 10's and some top 20's to get a 90+ ATAR imo. acting lazy won't help. You'll end up having to catch up on all the work before an exam. at max you should be studying hardcore at least 2 weeks before any exam. But that's just my opinion. You can believe what you want to believe, but in the end... if you set yourself a goal... you have to achieve it... otherwise it's not even considered a goal. :pirate:
Top 25 percentile= top 20 for all subjects and, for some subjects, top 10. I guess I'm on my way to my goal

Tofuu

HSC
hmm, maybe you think you don't study enough but you do....imo

ValentinesM

HSC
yeah so umm...
Just starting the last year of school ever. Pretty pumped about that. Pretty pumped, but thus far, pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. I probably do about 1 hour of study a day. This seems bad. This should not be enough- its the HSC, right? All those years of teachers "prepping" you for 4 HOURS A NIGHT. And, there should be ramifications of doing not enough study, right? I should fall behind, perform poorly in assessments. I should be doing pretty badly with only 1 hour of study (including homework) a day.

But this is not the case. I'm far from the top of the class. I think after a few assessments during term 4 last year I'm running at maybe top 25 percentile in all of my subjects. Not amazing, but not bad. It feels like I must be doing something wrong, though. I feel pretty bad (for like a minute) after not studying, or during a study period when I'm sticking shit in a fan or something when I'm meant to be reading a book.

So tell me, BOS. Why is it so easy? I'm not a smart person, I often take longer than many others to grasp a concept in maths or see the real meaning in a passage in a book. So when will all this slacking bite me in the ass? When will I fail because of my current laziness? Help me out here. Give me some motivation to actually do some work. I want a 90- that's all I need for my pharmacy degree. Can I achieve this with this little study?

My subjects are 3u maths, 3u english, physics, chemistry. School rank about 150.
I'd suggest that you aim to stay on top of all your assessments. This is part of the early stage of year 12 where you should try not to fall behind in anything. If one hour a night is sufficient to complete your homework and get a bit of notes down, then it's fine for now. However, you should really be trying to fit about 3h of study, especially for next term, because the workload tends to get heavier as time passes and you don't want it to pile up. If you start working hard and working ahead now, things will be so much easier by the time you get to the assessments and Trials. Good luck!

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You may think it's easy now, it is. There's not much pressure.

But have you got ALL your notes up to date for all your subjects?
Are you doing revision of what you've learnt in class every night? Exercises in maths/science or just reading/highlighting/annotating for humanities subjects?

If not then probably that's why you're only doing 1 hr a night. If you don't get your summaries done you're going to be a mess come exam week.

Pretty sure most stuff we're doing now is not technically 'assessments', well, not for me anyway. But it needs to be done now.

waryap

HSC
I'm not saying you'll definitely get 90 if you attain the ranks I told you though, okay? hahaha we're in the same year, we don't really know what to expect but if you check out the other people on BoS who publicly announced their ranks and ATAR will give you a pretty good estimate :]

K

Kozak92

aim for 3 hours every night of study
thats what some of my friends do
Fark that bro. Most people I know did only 1 hour of study each night as well as their homework and got high 80s, 90s.

The only time I see myself doing 4 hours of study each night is when exams are closing in. I don't even get 4 hours before I sleep when I get home.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon you want to be getting higher than top 25 percentile in at least a few subjects at a 150-ish ranked school for 90+ATAR. Can anyone confirm this?

And you might be doing only 1 hour a night now, in like the first two weeks of term but that's going to have to increase as half yearlies etc roll around.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
I'd say you'd try to aim for that to be safe. But it depends on the strength of the cohort, after all his cohort could be relatively "stupid".

You're obviously studying smart, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

kathrinn

HSC
yeah so umm...

I did an hour a night for the whole year, and in the study break before the hsc knuckled down like a little bitch and did 8-10 hours a day. Youll be fine, as long as you have some aptitude. I ended up with 97.10 with 3u eng, bio, modern, ancient and society and culture. So seriously champ, youll be fine as long as you cankeep up in class.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Three hours? Heh, I'll do that in the days preceding exams. For now, one-and-a-half per day!

cassiecocaine

HSC
I was pretty lazy. Just good at memorizing + a love for drama. I didn't do too badly :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)