• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

London Mayor was Rude, Arrogant says China (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
article said:
Not famous enough': Chinese newspaper The Titan Sports Daily said Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page were not famous enough
It continued: 'Unfortunately, the singer and Jimmy Page are absolutely not famous enough to be known or recognised by millions of the Chinese audiences.
...there are no words. None.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
lol, if Jimmy Page isn't well known enough to Chinese citzens, maybe they can fix that by not trying to censor Western culture.

I think the British ceremony was absolutely great.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Since china started it, let's be honest... that group of pop singers during the closing ceremony looked like the Chinese version of "Hi 5" and their more traditional singers, seemed to be mimicking the sounds of torturous whining which is heard from outside any state-run "re-education through labour camp".

danlan

HSC
I think Boris is OK, but just wonder why London's performance does not make any link with its history&traditions? Or I'm not smart enough to get it?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I dunno. Why is that necessary?

I'm sure they'll do it at the opening ceremony, but for the most part this is a new millennium, a new age (of globalisation, democracy, and the Internet/electronics), and everybody is already fairly well aware of Britain's traditions and culture - I mean heck, they created like half the world's democracies.

And maybe they are expressing their traditions - freedom and multiculturalism. I mean, their performance was in stark contrast to the rigidity, conformity, and sickening perfection of China.

danlan

HSC
"And maybe they are expressing their traditions - freedom and multiculturalism."

I can not really agree on this point.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
lololskates said:
Aww boo-hoo China, like someone said, the blogger is more then likely government-enforced (i.e they have his family hostage) and is trying to promote China as the only proper country who has all the correct customs and is a beacon and epitome of Olympic and International sovereignty.
how ironic then that they discouraged people from customs like spitting everywhere and eating dog during the olympics

ohh china :rolleyes:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
danlan said:
"And maybe they are expressing their traditions - freedom and multiculturalism."

I can not really agree on this point.
lol, really? What are you, Chinese or something?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Slidey said:
I dunno. Why is that necessary?

I'm sure they'll do it at the opening ceremony, but for the most part this is a new millennium, a new age (of globalisation, democracy, and the Internet/electronics), and everybody is already fairly well aware of Britain's traditions and culture - I mean heck, they created like half the world's democracies.

And maybe they are expressing their traditions - freedom and multiculturalism. I mean, their performance was in stark contrast to the rigidity, conformity, and sickening perfection of China.
I was upset by it too. This multicultural multicoloured sexy young disposable marketing junk.
Britain lies in ruins. Brave new world.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Iron said:
I was upset by it too. This multicultural multicoloured sexy young disposable marketing junk.
Well they haven't quite resorted to electrocuting babies yet.

danlan

HSC
Iron said:
can't agree more!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
danlan said:
can't agree more!
Oh shit you ARE Chinese. Hahaha. I was totally joking, but your reaction makes sense now.

Yeah, down with the Western devil. We must stem this fulminating tide of equality and freedom of expression!

danlan

HSC
Slidey said:
Oh shit you ARE Chinese. Hahaha. I was totally joking, but your reaction makes sense now.

Yeah, down with the Western devil. We must stem this fulminating tide of equality and freedom of expression!
Can you not be so cynical?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
danlan said:
Can you not be so cynical?
Cynical? What's to be cynical about? You, like the many Chinese, see freedom of expression and speech, sexual freedom, and equality among class, race and sex to be antithetical to a well-functioning society.

Whatever would I have to be cynical about?

danlan

HSC
Slidey said:
Cynical? What's to be cynical about? You, like the many Chinese, see freedom of expression and speech, sexual freedom, and equality among class, race and sex to be antithetical to a well-functioning society.
I am gay and how can I not want my country to be more open-minded on sexual freedom, equality between sex etc.?

Many Chinese including me do appreciate many issues you have mentioned. They do exist, but from my point of views, things in China are becoming better not worse. After many turbulent years, Chinese people really can not afford drastic changes.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Why make this about China's development?

We were talking about freedom and multiculturalism in Britain, remember? :) You and quite a few Chinese (judging by the article in the OP), get offended by freedom of expression. Why is that?

(BTW, I'd think after many turbulent years brought on by communist policy, drastic change is exactly what you need... not that I'd really call freedom and equality 'drastic'.)

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
This part of the ceremony reminded me of the Hong Kong handover, except it was the Chinese who handed the flag over to the Brits. Maybe it's just coz this clown has the same hair colour as Chris Patten.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Slidey said:
...( You) get offended by freedom of expression. Why is that?
Slidey, don't make this about something it's not about.
The Chinese aren't against freedom of expression, but rather how it was used. They felt that the London Mayor wasn't diplomatic enough, and he shit on the very principals they were trying to convey these olympics. The concept of a tolerable human existance. 'One World', yet he had no respect for that.

How can we live in a united world with dicks like this guy? Promoting seperation?
It's messed up. I so wish he was never elected, and I wish that Ken Livingstone was still London Mayor. It would have been beautiful, watching that man speak, infront of that audience. It would have left the Chinese more warm to Britain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)