Lower UMAT cutoffs? (2 Viewers)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Lol, probs India :p

Anyway, I guess no one has answers to my Q :(
Sorry Adrita, as I said 'This is a really good question', maybe if medman looks at this thread he might be able to shed some light pertaining your question :)

And... I wish we could go into med with 80 ATAR and 50 UMAT lol, but we have to regard it as a highly prestigious course! Don't worry though there's always other ways of course!

Medman

HSC
I have only heard of students applying during their HSC year for special consideration which resulted in them getting 99.95 equivalent ATAR. This lowered the threshold for their UMAT score for UNSW to 70%.

I think rural schemes just give bonus points on top of their original ATAR. Not 100% sure but they definitely have lower requirements and this applies to indigenous students too.

It's easier to screw up the interview than you might think. Especially when you get a harsh cold almost rude interviewer which I experienced. Sitting side on with his arms and legs crossed and looked like he wasn't interested in what you are saying can throw you off so badly. And who knows if he was being racist.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I have only heard of students applying during their HSC year for special consideration which resulted in them getting 99.95 equivalent ATAR. This lowered the threshold for their UMAT score for UNSW to 70%.

I think rural schemes just give bonus points on top of their original ATAR. Not 100% sure but they definitely have lower requirements and this applies to indigenous students too.

It's easier to screw up the interview than you might think. Especially when you get a harsh cold almost rude interviewer which I experienced. Sitting side on with his arms and legs crossed and looked like he wasn't interested in what you are saying can throw you off so badly. And who knows if he was being racist.
I'm applying as a non-standard, do you know of any schemes?

emilios

HSC
In other news fellas, just be an Indigenous Australian living in a rural area who has also happened to complete the HSC and you too can gain entry into Medicine!

#onlyslightlybitter #dietracist

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Bond isn't actually that low. I haven't seen the exact numbers, but don't think every rich kid can waltz in with a 90 atar and 50% UMAT.
You really dont have to be rich to get into bond. As simple as it can be, a loan with a low interest rate might help and then it won't take decades after you are a medical practitioner (~6-7 yrs to pay it off).

emilios

HSC
You really dont have to be rich to get into bond. As simple as it can be, a loan with a low interest rate might help and then it won't take decades after you are a medical practitioner (~6-7 yrs to pay it off).
Hmm this gives me hope. But omg i'm inundated with these applications. I've been writing them for a week straight and I still have like 6 more to write out... and QTAC only gives me 6 preferences! (UAC is nice with 9)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
In other news fellas, just be a disabled, low socioeconomic, Indigenous Australian living in a rural area who has also happened to complete the HSC and you too can gain entry into Medicine!

#onlyslightlybitter #dietracist
ftfy ;). Better chance

7 years to pay off ~200k, lol notsureifsrs

200k itself is a lot then you have interest which is anywhere from maybe 2 to 8% (not exactly sure). The total you'll be paying back would be 200k*interest <use sum of GP here> which will be a lot

Medman

HSC
I'm applying as a non-standard, do you know of any schemes?
Not that I know of. Guess you can only special consideration your marks at university but that is all. Not sure exactly what your situation is so it's hard to suggest anything that is helpful.

200k can be paid off in probably be paid off in 6-7 years if you're very frugal and manage your finances well in the ideal world. You won't be able to get a home loan that's for certain at the beginning given your huge debt. Also if any unforeseen circumstances play a part you may potentially double the time it takes to pay off your loan. You must realise the world is not ideal.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Not that I know of. Guess you can only special consideration your marks at university but that is all. Not sure exactly what your situation is so it's hard to suggest anything that is helpful.

200k can be paid off in probably be paid off in 6-7 years if you're very frugal and manage your finances well in the ideal world. You won't be able to get a home loan that's for certain at the beginning given your huge debt. Also if any unforeseen circumstances play a part you may potentially double the time it takes to pay off your loan. You must realise the world is not ideal.
Okay

I guess I'd call it severe illness/disturbance within the family

Um, I'll just use it for my university marks then I guess :)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

srs, you can pay of 200k in 7 years?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
It will be very hard but it may be possible. You have to work overtime and not have a family!
but you can't even get a 200K loan in the first place (assuming it isn't on HECS or anything like that)

do you mean take a 200k loan upfront or like borrow maybe 30k/year for the length of the degree?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Okay

I guess I'd call it severe illness/disturbance within the family

Um, I'll just use it for my university marks then I guess :)
Unfortunately there's nothing - not with undergrad or postgrad. I've looked into it due to certain circumstances and there is zip, zilch, zero special consideration. They're even more cut throat with that rule when it comes to PG.

I'd advise using it for uni marks as you've said. Although, depending on what uni you go to, this can sometimes work and other times not. I went to sydney and they were pretty damn unforgiving.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately there's nothing - not with undergrad or postgrad. I've looked into it due to certain circumstances and there is zip, zilch, zero special consideration. They're even more cut throat with that rule when it comes to PG.

I'd advise using it for uni marks as you've said. Although, depending on what uni you go to, this can sometimes work and other times not. I went to sydney and they were pretty damn unforgiving.
Oh :( Thanks for that anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)