Major Works- whats all the hype? (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Recently, when telling people i have 5 major works, they laugh at me, or say something discouraging like 'dude, thats like a suicide attempt spanned over the course of the HSC'

I truly don't understand why people are so concerned about major works. Like i said before, I have 5, and i have pretty much completed 3. They don't really absorb THAT much of your time (I guess i only have 10 units) and they're kinda fun. And i've been getting 90+ for all my major work progress checks etc. It's not like they're shit or underdone.

Maybe it's just me, and my liking of creative subjects, but I don't see how a major work constitutes such immense pressure everyone seems to think it does. People seem to think that more major works = a highly stressful HSC. I think its kinda the opposite. Usually courses with major works are heavily practical, which means theory is limited and not as important. Therefore, when it gets to the actual HSC exams, you're less concerned about the major work subject because there's less content to revise...!

HSC
how do you have 5 majors?
the only subjects i can think of with majors are
D&T, Art, Drama, Textiles, Music & EE2
you only do 4 of them =/

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It really does depend on your time management skills, the kind of marks your after and what sort of major work you're doing. In my experience the research projects were much, much harder than the practical ones and this may be why some people believe its very difficult- because it it! Also, if your trying to get full marks in your major works, as well as in all your assessments, while keeping up a steady study regime things tend to get quite stressful.

EDIT: And yeah, wth, how do you have 5 major works...

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Extension 2, Art, Music and Drama has two.

People always rubbish the fact that Drama actually has two major works but it does. Both IP (individual project) and GP (group performance) require logbooks and a submitting of work/performance. Music also kinda has two as well, but not really. You do a core composition (and logbook) that you hand in to be externally marked, and also a performance that's externally marked (which ALSO requires a logbook-type thing)

So yeah :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Extension 2, Art, Music and Drama has two.

People always rubbish the fact that Drama actually has two major works but it does. Both IP (individual project) and GP (group performance) require logbooks and a submitting of work/performance. Music also kinda has two as well, but not really. You do a core composition (and logbook) that you hand in to be externally marked, and also a performance that's externally marked (which ALSO requires a logbook-type thing)

So yeah :)
Gimme a break, just cuz the work has different components doesn't mean you can classify them as completely separate major works.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Gimme a break, just cuz the work has different components doesn't mean you can classify them as completely separate major works.
Ask a drama student. They are marked seperately, and have no correlation with each other at all. The IP and GP are completely different to each other in every respect. I don't see why you wouldn't count them as two major works. My teacher does. The Board of Studies does.

And as for Music, I agree. They aren't really two major works. Which is why i said 'kinda'.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
It really does depend on your time management skills, the kind of marks your after and what sort of major work you're doing. In my experience the research projects were much, much harder than the practical ones and this may be why some people believe its very difficult- because it it! Also, if your trying to get full marks in your major works, as well as in all your assessments, while keeping up a steady study regime things tend to get quite stressful.

EDIT: And yeah, wth, how do you have 5 major works...
This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)