Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

themanman

HSC
N/A
i agree completely with what you're saying.. or what your teacher said. as long as you make a judgement then its clearly your own judgement and your own interpretation.. when have you ever had to write 'i' in an essay? thats not an essay at all..
why wouldnt that be an essay just cos ur using 'I' and 'my'

an essay is your personal critique on something

especially being a CRITICAL STUDY it would be required

you dont HAVE to

although, as i said before, it IS preferred

themanman

HSC
N/A
Re: Module B - too specific?

I did Hamlet and talked about how the ending is integral in how Shakespeare re appropriates the tragic genre. Because it didn't specify thematic concerns I turned it into a genre study :D
wow
how are you doing english and history in year 11?

why doesnt my school offer that? :'(

Glorious

HSC
i agree completely with what you're saying.. or what your teacher said. as long as you make a judgement then its clearly your own judgement and your own interpretation.. when have you ever had to write 'i' in an essay? thats not an essay at all..
You DONT need to, but as themanman said, it is preferred because it is asking you directly for YOUR response - and if you feel that you could make your judgement clear without using first person tense, then by all means, but it's sort of showing the marker that you are addressing the question directly. Where has there ever been a rule against writing "my" or "I" for essays? Don't make assumptions and say "thats not an essay at all". :S My teacher has also marked Module B before and he said its perfectly fine. It's optional.

Wiz Apprec Soc

HSC
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.
Really? I don't know you...

nathanf

HSC
Hamlet this year was the first to contain a massive quote and ask you to relate your text to the themes shown in the ending.

Actually, I found about 1 minute to flick through the book during the reading time.. Alot of Mod b had big quotes provided.

chubzy

HSC
legit thought to myself the night before "they won't specify among school children so i probably won't have to read over the notes"

no joke.

actually mentally cried and laughed at the same time when i saw it during reading time HAHA

but i did write some decent things about it, my teacher's voice was just ringing in my mind from our revision lesson and i just gathered the most obscure quotes and techniques and mashed it up together... hopefully the marker would see my essay as a whole (haha...) and not mark me too badly :)

Glorious

HSC
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.
Um, so the HSC set the 40 minute time-frame so that most people could write "superficial responses"? That's not the case with me because I don't go in with prepared essays and I seem to do fine. Some have that talent, some don't.... it's something you need to work on... you don't just gain it with a blink of an eye.

sophielee169

HSC
Pshhhh people shouldn't be complaining about this at all, module B was in my opinion a fantastic question. It made you stop and think, and look at how something shapes and relates to the rest of your material, and it really throws out the people who did what you're not supposed to be doing in english and thats blatantly memorising and regurgitating essays. And as for those doing poetry or speeches, you're supposed to be studying the whole thing anyway instead of just focusing in and only learning two or three.

The board of studies needs to have the power to do this sort of thing when it wants to to throw up mindlessly prepared responses and throw in the more legitimate aspect of english examination; that being writing and thinking ability. If you ask me they should be asking many more questions like that in module B.

lol, and what text did you do? you try studying eight speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, that do not all have a central theme or message to link them together, and know enough about them all to make 'detailed reference' to the entirety of the speech. that is not what we were prepared for at all.. infact our teachers- and hsc markers at english lectures for that matter- told us to only learn 2-3 speeches in depth as that is all we'd need to write about.. so yes, we do have the right to complain.

sophielee169

HSC
I thought it would be fairer to do that sort of question, but then again, BOS wants to screw students over. I knew something bad would happen to module B, although I didn't predict it right...
although they dont see that it is not fairer at all.. by specifying a speech, all they do is give people who have chosen that speech an advantage over the rest. we are not told to know every speech in depth, and they cant expect you to know every speech well enough to be able to make detailed reference.. so in my personal opinion the specification was stupid and in no way made it fairer!

sophielee169

HSC
Speeches was a joke! Everyone in our year only looked at 2 or 3 specifically. I studied so much for Keating and Pearson, I couldnt even remember what the speech they asked for was about. Definately had a little freak out, trying to work out how to fudge my way through a VERY short essay. Woo fail for module B.
At least my other module questions were alright and pretty adaptable...
yeah im pretty sure thats what everyone did because thats all teachers tell you to do!!!!

Entity

HSC
I just went in there and went, how about I just write what I already know, Hamlet's inability to act and his comparison to Fortinbras and Laertes, and then at the end of every paragraph go "In the closing scenes, both Laertes, Fortinbras and Hamlet are all able to act" blah blah. Overall, not my BEST attempt, but I think it went down quite well, aiming for about a 15/20, and if everyones bitching about, MAYBE ILL GET A BETTER MARK CAUSE OF ALIGNMENT yuuuuuuuuuuuuuus.

nathanf

HSC
Um, so the HSC set the 40 minute time-frame so that most people could write "superficial responses"? That's not the case with me because I don't go in with prepared essays and I seem to do fine. Some have that talent, some don't.... it's something you need to work on... you don't just gain it with a blink of an eye.
Strictly speaking Talent is unattainable if you lack it at birth. Skill is gained with practice.

But only too true. 40 minutes makes even talented students stress out or work very hard to write a good response. I had no pre-prepared bodies or introductions or anything for any of my essays, nor have I ever and I do alright. But to write a brilliant essay with most students not needing to resort to ' regurgitating' a three hour test would be necessary for Paper 2. Paper 1 is fine as is. But trying to earn 5 marks more than paper 1, when its harder and requires much more writing in the same time frame isn't kind of BOS.

editav

HSC
Uni Grad
God it would suck for people who didn't do the specified speeches/essays/poems , but maybe BOS just wants everyone to know they're serious about the whole learn 'every speech/poem/essay' etc etc :l

sophielee169

HSC
Re: wtf are Module B man..........

Not really sure what you're saying here or whether it is relevant for the Yeats question . We were taught that through the critical study of his poems, we find that his work is timeless and this is what I used as my thesis, suggesting that this notion is shaped by my personal reading of the final stanza of Among School Children, which vastly differs from the common reading of the poem as a reflection on youth and time. But I really don't know if this was ok ....
agree with you completely although i did speeches.. same thing :)

sophielee169

HSC
I 100% agree with this, but I still feel those doing Hamlet were better off as it is still ONE text, which i presume has a common idea running throughout, whereas those doing speeches/poems had a variety of texts to learn that address different issues.... Hopefully it is reflected in the aligning!
i agree completely!

cassiecolless

HSC
lol, and what text did you do? you try studying eight speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, that do not all have a central theme or message to link them together, and know enough about them all to make 'detailed reference' to the entirety of the speech. that is not what we were prepared for at all.. infact our teachers- and hsc markers at english lectures for that matter- told us to only learn 2-3 speeches in depth as that is all we'd need to write about.. so yes, we do have the right to complain.
agreed.

sophielee169

HSC
haha spoke to my friend who did speeches as their critical study. awkward moment when their teacher tells them that they will only be focusing on 3 of them because that's all they needed. Imagine their shock when they saw the question was specific and had NO idea what the specified speech was about. bad teaching right there.
its not bad teaching power, im pretty sure thats what majority of the teachers said because thats what the general idea was.. as if youd be able to know enough about 8 speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, to make detailed reference.. its absolute bullshit! and i went to an english seminar earlier this year run by hsc markers who told us only to know 2-3 speeches...

sophielee169

HSC
the point of the exam is however to test your knowledge.. to give you a q that makes you look back on your knowledge of the info, not to have prepared essays which show no understanding. however i do disagree with the specification of certain speeches/poems as there is no way they can expect you to have a good enough knowledge of all of them to be able to make detailed reference seeming as though some go for over 10 pages

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)