MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Yep you can change it in your 2nd year if you choose to do so. Thats why when you do the core commerce subjects in the first yr you get a feel of the different majors through the first yr units, however accounting for example in first yr isnt indicative to second and 3rd yr since it gets much better.
So, we choose our majors in the first year - but we never do them in the first year? Every single person does the core subjects the first year?

Also, is a GPA of 3 difficult to get?

ameher

HSC
So, we choose our majors in the first year - but we never do them in the first year? Every single person does the core subjects the first year?

Also, is a GPA of 3 difficult to get?
Well it depends on what major you pick. if you pick accounting, then after passing accounting 1A in the first semester, you will do accounting 1B in the second semester which is only for people doing the accounting major. And yes everyone doing b commerce does the core subjects in the first year.

Um GPA of 3 is a credit average at mq, as GPA is out of 4 at mq. It's not that hard i dont think if you attend tutorials/lectures, and work consistently you should be easily able to maintain a GPA of 3, but then again thats dependent on the student and the subjects you pick.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Well it depends on what major you pick. if you pick accounting, then after passing accounting 1A in the first semester, you will do accounting 1B in the second semester which is only for people doing the accounting major. And yes everyone doing b commerce does the core subjects in the first year.

Um GPA of 3 is a credit average at mq, as GPA is out of 4 at mq. It's not that hard i dont think if you attend tutorials/lectures, and work consistently you should be easily able to maintain a GPA of 3, but then again thats dependent on the student and the subjects you pick.
Ahk. So we do start majors first year. A couple more questions:

1. Is it possible to transfer the first semester at macq?

2. Say I wanted to transfer from Arts to Commerce.

B of Commerce - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

Microeconomic Principles (3)

Marketing Fundamentals (3)

Introductory Statistics (3)

Statistical Data Analysis (3)

Design and Statistics I (3)

Introduction to International Business (3)

International Business Operations (3)

Global Marketing (3)

International Business Project (3)

Business Policy (3)

Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

Asian Business Environment (3)

Cross Cultural Management (3)

B of Arts - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Introduction to Global Business (3)

Global Marketing (3)

Global Business Strategy (3)

----

Some of the subjects are different, would that mean it is not possible to get the credit transfer? Or would they 'overlook' it seeing the near whole of the Majors are the exact same?

I noticed that differences in the same Major subjects are exactly like the example above.

sebking

HSC
I seemed to have found a problem with my timetable here...

Advanced Physics 1 [PHYS188] has Workshop_1 on exactly the same time as Lecture_2 for Introductory Astronomy [ASTR170] - this clash is during session 1. As neither of these events have a repeat during the week will I have to drop one of the units?

Considering I am doing an advanced bachelor of science and want to major in astrophysics I want to do both.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Advanced Physics 1 [PHYS188] has Workshop_1 on exactly the same time as Lecture_2 for Introductory Astronomy [ASTR170] - this clash is during session 1. As neither of these events have a repeat during the week will I have to drop one of the units?

Considering I am doing an advanced bachelor of science and want to major in astrophysics I want to do both.
You could e-mail the course convener for ASTR170 and see if it uses i-lecture, if it does you could go to your PHYS188 workshop and just listen to the missed ASTR170 lecture later.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad

I would email the staff contact(s) for those 2 units to find out if any more lecture streams or workshops will open up for Session 1. If there are no other class repeats, and this will most likely be due to the number of students enrolled, I guess you could just swap a unit from Session 2 with one of these so there is no clash.

EDIT: ah may-cat baet me to it :p but yea you could follow her suggestion as well. I just find it easier to go to the lecture itself instead of i-lecturing it (harder to concentrate imo).

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance. I'm currently registering for enrolment on Macquarie's website and confused as to what I am 'classified as'. Can someone please help me?

As I said earleir, I am a first year Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Laws student, am I classified as:

-SIBT student
-jubilee student
-non award student

???

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
uuuuum, you're none of them as far as i know.... could you give a link to the page so we can see what your looking at?

LonelyWolf

HSC
Do we only fill out one form (eCAF) in step 1?

Or are there other forms - CSP, HECS HELP?

Also, do we pick our majors in step 2? Because I've been given the option to do so

Last edited:

Salliea

HSC
Do we only fill out one form (eCAF) in step 1?

Or are there other forms - CSP, HECS HELP?

Also, do we pick our majors in step 2? Because I've been given the option to do so
I believe that the eCAF is the HECS HELP, but please correct me if I'm wrong :p it's very confusing.

On the other hand, I got a need some advise regarding units (x.x) . In my 100 Level Course, it requires me to do
ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles (3)
ECON111 Microeconomics Principles (3)
Would people advise to do them in separate semesters or in the same one? ><

EDIT: Oh, and also...is it better to have your lectures before tutorial, or the other way around @^@ So many choices. Thanks again :D

Last edited:

ameher

HSC
I believe that the eCAF is the HECS HELP, but please correct me if I'm wrong :p it's very confusing.

On the other hand, I got a need some advise regarding units (x.x) . In my 100 Level Course, it requires me to do

EDIT: Oh, and also...is it better to have your lectures before tutorial, or the other way around @^@ So many choices. Thanks again :D
Having done both units, i would advise you do them separately, just my opinion, both have a similar style in terms of the type of questions asked in the exam, in terms of interpreting diagrams and theory, so once you do one, you will be better at the other.

ameher

HSC
Ahk. So we do start majors first year. A couple more questions:

1. Is it possible to transfer the first semester at macq?

2. Say I wanted to transfer from Arts to Commerce.

B of Commerce - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Introduction to International Business (3)

Global Marketing (3)

Business Policy (3)

B of Arts - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Introduction to Global Business (3)

Global Marketing (3)

Global Business Strategy (3)

----

Some of the subjects are different, would that mean it is not possible to get the credit transfer? Or would they 'overlook' it seeing the near whole of the Majors are the exact same?

I noticed that differences in the same Major subjects are exactly like the example above.
Yep you can transfer after the first semester, provided you meet the GPA requirements which you could finding out by asking the faculty. And yep would get the credit transfer, as you are completing the same major, it would just be classified under the commerce degree, once you do switch, but yes you will get credit for having completed those subjects.

ameher

HSC

I prefer to have my tutorials before the lecture, since the tutorial covers the previous weeks lecture topic.

converge

HSC
N/A
If I want to do two majors within the Bachelor of Commerce, it is possible to complete the degree in three years? Or would I have to stay in uni longer.

LonelyWolf

HSC
For B of Arts - Are there just two exams: 1st semester and 2nd semester. Or does it depend on the major (with assignments)?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
For B of Arts - Are there just two exams: 1st semester and 2nd semester. Or does it depend on the major (with assignments)?
I don't get what you're asking..

Most units will have a final exam, some don't, some units have several exams throughout semester, some don't. So say i take 4 units semester 1 and 4 units semester 2, (providing all of these units assess with a final exam) i will have eight exams over the academic year.

LonelyWolf

HSC
I don't get what you're asking..

Most units will have a final exam, some don't, some units have several exams throughout semester, some don't. So say i take 4 units semester 1 and 4 units semester 2, (providing all of these units assess with a final exam) i will have eight exams over the academic year.
Ok. I was just wondering whether different majors have less assignments and exams compared to other majors.

Does anyone know the GPA required to transfer from B Arts to B Com? IIRC the number of credit points must be 12.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ok. I was just wondering whether different majors have less assignments and exams compared to other majors.
I'm sure some do but it's a bit of an odd question... not everyone's major will be the same (even if they are doing the same major) since there are options built into the requirements of majors. It's not really a matter of whether some majors have more exam/assessments than others but whether some units have more exams/assessments than others (in which case the answer is absolutely).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)