MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
On a serious note, tomorrow us November. So I've got assignments to finish, 3 exams to study for and I start my internship. I'm not quite sure when to schedule in my breakdown. I'm thinking this week? My parents are away and I've been left in charge. I'm pretty close to telling my brother off about everything and I'm sick of cooking and cleaning and being in the house alone all day :lol: Also stubbed my foot pretty bad at climbing the other evening and broke my toenail. It got infected and now everything makes my foot hurt and I'm already in a crap mood.

Yeah I'm sorry for the rant. Week 12 is getting to me already...

Also, hi alphabetafeta96!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Some new policies have been introduced from semester 2, 2016 exams.

Fit to Sit: Macquarie University has implemented a 'Fit to Sit' model. This means that in sitting an exam, a student declares themselves fit to do so. More information on what 'Fit to Sit' means for your upcoming exams can be found in the Disruption to Studies Policy.

Watches in exams: All watches must be removed and placed at the top of the examination desk, where they can be seen clearly and easily by supervisors, and must remain there forthe duration of the exam. All alarms, notifications, and alerts must be switched off.

Electronic devices in exams: Electronic devices (such as laptops, tablets, phones) and wallets/purses may be brought into an examination room but must be placed under the student's exam desk for the duration of the exam. All devices must be switched off. However, all bags must be deposited in one of the designated bag rooms.

Seat numbers and room allocations - This information will be available from 1pm, Wednesday 9 November 2016.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Some new policies have been introduced from semester 2, 2016 exams.

Fit to Sit: Macquarie University has implemented a 'Fit to Sit' model. This means that in sitting an exam, a student declares themselves fit to do so. More information on what 'Fit to Sit' means for your upcoming exams can be found in the Disruption to Studies Policy.

Watches in exams: All watches must be removed and placed at the top of the examination desk, where they can be seen clearly and easily by supervisors, and must remain there forthe duration of the exam. All alarms, notifications, and alerts must be switched off.

Electronic devices in exams: Electronic devices (such as laptops, tablets, phones) and wallets/purses may be brought into an examination room but must be placed under the student's exam desk for the duration of the exam. All devices must be switched off. However, all bags must be deposited in one of the designated bag rooms.

Seat numbers and room allocations - This information will be available from 1pm, Wednesday 9 November 2016.

I do not like the watch rule or the fit to sit rule.

Although last semester most of my exams had already started using the place the watch on the desk rule.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
So what did you do with phones and watches prior to that change?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Interesting, you can have phones in your bag (turned off) at UTS but they always made us take off wrist watches and in the lead up to the Apple Watch they explicitly banned smart watches (/consider them same as phones) and mention them on all the material haha.

I've heard a few people's phones go off briefly in exams (happened today in fact), and while I think that's supposed to be misconduct I think they use discretion.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting, you can have phones in your bag (turned off) at UTS but they always made us take off wrist watches and in the lead up to the Apple Watch they explicitly banned smart watches (/consider them same as phones) and mention them on all the material haha.

I've heard a few people's phones go off briefly in exams (happened today in fact), and while I think that's supposed to be misconduct I think they use discretion.
I really hate apple watches. One of my lecturers made us all hand in our watches as someone had tried cheating in the previous lecture midsem exam with an smart watch.Meant I lost track of time :(

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Are there many microwaves or kettles etc scattered around MQ uni for eating in between classes ?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm okay with the fit to sit rule, because I've personally been impacted by unit conveners inconsistent decisions as it was up to their personal discretion previously. Considering many units now have the supplementary exam if your within a certain range, I think it's fair.

I've always kept my phone off, in my bag, in the bag rooms. To paranoid, even as somebody that lives with their phone on silent :lol: I think I'm more concerned I'd do something like touch it. My friends phone did go off during the HSC, so I'm taking bookings chances.

As for watches, I thought we've always had to take them off? I think that's just changed slightly to adapt for smart watches. I like old fashioned earthed anyway, so no big deal for me.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Are there many microwaves or kettles etc scattered around MQ uni for eating in between classes ?
There are microwaves in the campus hub building. I think there is some upstairs, between boost and the stairs up to UBar. There are also some located downstairs in the hub (the atrium) you can use. Possibly also in Muse. As for kettles I'm not certain, but again I think I've seen them in muse. Might be those instant hot water heaters? Still good if you need them though!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Muse has microwaves + hot water tap(s?)

Campus Hub has a row of microwaves

Only seen a kettle in a staff kitchen which is of limit to students :/

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm okay with the fit to sit rule, because I've personally been impacted by unit conveners inconsistent decisions as it was up to their personal discretion previously. Considering many units now have the supplementary exam if your within a certain range, I think it's fair.

I've always kept my phone off, in my bag, in the bag rooms. To paranoid, even as somebody that lives with their phone on silent :lol: I think I'm more concerned I'd do something like touch it. My friends phone did go off during the HSC, so I'm taking bookings chances.

As for watches, I thought we've always had to take them off? I think that's just changed slightly to adapt for smart watches. I like old fashioned earthed anyway, so no big deal for me.
Actually you may be right about the watch rule... I think supervisors are inconsistent sometimes :/

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly can't remember. All I know for sure is drink bottles and calculator kids are under your desk :D

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
You'd think after 5 years of university and 18 years of formal education, I'd be able to remember.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
So I clarified with UTS that you can graduate from B Business of a B Bus / B Law if you complete the 8 core subjects, 8 major subs and 48 CP in law.

I'm probably gonna do that, if I can get in.

I really wish I just did that at the start of the year when I accepted B Bus / B Law originally... [emoji23]

Fudge monkey [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
So I clarified with UTS that you can graduate from B Business of a B Bus / B Law if you complete the 8 core subjects, 8 major subs and 48 CP in law.

I'm probably gonna do that, if I can get in.

I really wish I just did that at the start of the year when I accepted B Bus / B Law originally... [emoji23]

Fudge monkey [emoji24]

yay ! another bos UTS member.

trust me you gonna love business/law here !

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
yay ! another bos UTS member.

trust me you gonna love business/law here !
I got an offer beginning this year... Then withdrew to continue at MQ.

Hoping they give me a second go [emoji23] have to wait till main round offers

If I do though, I'll finish all the business units and grad from business and continue law [emoji7]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)