MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

TheMoney

HSC
Is it better to have ebooks or the physical copies? I know ebooks are cheaper by quite a bit but a mate said it would be better to get the physical copies.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Is it better to have ebooks or the physical copies? I know ebooks are cheaper by quite a bit but a mate said it would be better to get the physical copies.
Depends on you.

I've bought two of my accounting textbokks as ebooks, only because its about $100 cheaper and I'm trying to save.

Otherwise, I prefer physical texts in front of me... ease of page flipping, physical tabbing etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I've only used paper textbooks, but I prefer these so I can be away from a computer/internet while studying.

Should be noted, I wasn't in a year that had laptops at school.( One year above the first year who got the really, really crappy original ones). I didn't own a laptop until well into my first year at uni when I save up for it. I find them difficult to study from, hence I still write my lecture notes by hand and use paper textbooks.

I'm completely digital for everything else though. Even at work I'm completely paperless and it's amazing :lol:

IMO, physical are better for units like accounting where you generally have a large quantity of questions tonne done at home and in class for the book. It's just easier to flick back and forth.

If you've got a unit which barely uses the book, then digital might be better. Personally the ones I've seen are these massive files that lag, so they aren't ideal for moving back and forth in a hurry. If your just reading through a chapter, they're probably okay.

In terms of wether you want to go digital or not, it's hard to say. They're definitely cheaper and it you like studying from a computer, they're useful. You could try a mix of digital and paper in your first semester to see what you like.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone heading into campus tomorrow. Don't be afraid to say hi. I'll be down for the business faculty welcome etc.

mrstripedshades

HSC
submitted my opal enquiry a few days ago (more than 48 hours by a fair bit) and still cant order my card on their website :\

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
If anyone's around tomorrow, I'll be at the debating society stall for a bit tomorrow :D (probs after 12, bc I'm a lazy person)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
On a serious note grad applications suck eggs.

Don't graduate guys, stay students 5eva.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I look so pasty on the student card! Was there a white filter or something like that? I can't bring myself to look at it- the card is so awful! Question: would I need a new student card every year, or just when I need to replace the old one?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I look so pasty on the student card! Was there a white filter or something like that? I can't bring myself to look at it- the card is so awful! Question: would I need a new student card every year, or just when I need to replace the old one?
Just when it breaks or something.

You don't need a new one every year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
They appear to have a white filter, an orange filter and a greenish filter.

Still on 1/4 on iLearn, I don't expect to be able to print my lecture notes tonight or tomorrow morning :(

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
So I have iLearn and the unit I'm doing doesn't start until next Tuesday but I'm so confused as to the 4 'units' I'm enrolled in. They're like all these modules on doing your own work and referencing. Is this something that macq uni just uploads to everyones iLearn for knowledge or does it count towards anything?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
So I have iLearn and the unit I'm doing doesn't start until next Tuesday but I'm so confused as to the 4 'units' I'm enrolled in. They're like all these modules on doing your own work and referencing. Is this something that macq uni just uploads to everyones iLearn for knowledge or does it count towards anything?
I'm assuming this is your first semester?

I'd say there probably (compulsory?) modules you need to complete so your aware about the standards and requirements set by the university. It's essentially to teach you how to reference and not plagerise, as well as to make you aware of what will happen if you do and are caught. This way, you can't pleade ignorance and the university can say they gave you the resources so you had no excuse.

I know at my previous university I had to take a unit in my first semester in academic writing and referencing. I had friends at other universities that had to do this for a week weeks also in their first semesters.

I haven't come across this before, so hopefully someone else can give a definite answer :)

HSC
N/A
I'm assuming this is your first semester?

I'd say there probably (compulsory?) modules you need to complete so your aware about the standards and requirements set by the university. It's essentially to teach you how to reference and not plagerise, as well as to make you aware of what will happen if you do and are caught. This way, you can't pleade ignorance and the university can say they gave you the resources so you had no excuse.

I know at my previous university I had to take a unit in my first semester in academic writing and referencing. I had friends at other universities that had to do this for a week weeks also in their first semesters.

I haven't come across this before, so hopefully someone else can give a definite answer :)
Yeah, you get a bunch of non-Unit stuff under "Student Support" - Academic Integrity, Studywise etc. these are modules you can do, watch vids, do quizzes... but they aren't compulsory (at least not for me) and they are still sitting in my iLearn page.

Don't worry all your iLearn units will come 'Alive' this week sometime - Yr 1, week 1, lecture 1 always seem to be soft intro / this is what we expect stuff. Beware, though most tutorials will get going week2 and you need to not come out of week 1 thinking "this will be easy!" :)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhh okay. I'm guessing this was introduced after I started then.

I'm expecting both my units will appear tomorrow. Ideally before my class but you never know! :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)