Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (4 Viewers)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

davin said:
and yet, while i believe in democracy, i believe in stopping the Nazis, and I believe in the reasons behind bombing Japan, i also believe that people have the right to criticise and, even if they want to, ridicule those beliefs. because i live in a free society. that doesn't mean i have to like what other people say, or feel that it has some merit. but i believe that they have the RIGHT to mock or criticise whatever they want. That is freedom of speech, there.
AND so they have right to be angry, upset etc. The same way you have the right to mock and cricticise.

davin

HSC
N/A

yeah, but i'm not arguing against that. I'm against two elements of the reaction here, and they are connected. The first is this attitude that gov't should NOT ALLOW people to mock or criticise religious viewpoints. The second is the idea that boycotting an entire country makes sense, based on the rationale that the country allowed the newspaper to say this. In other words, they aren't punishing the paper for running the cartoons by boycotting the paper and its advertisers, they are boycotting the country because the country refuses to remove free speech. As such I consider both of those actions attacks on free speech.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

davin said:
yeah, but i'm not arguing against that. I'm against two elements of the reaction here, and they are connected. The first is this attitude that gov't should NOT ALLOW people to mock or criticise religious viewpoints. The second is the idea that boycotting an entire country makes sense, based on the rationale that the country allowed the newspaper to say this. In other words, they aren't punishing the paper for running the cartoons by boycotting the paper and its advertisers, they are boycotting the country because the country refuses to remove free speech. As such I consider both of those actions attacks on free speech.
there are lot people who are out there who are stupid and i think you should you know that. When one critcises something another will critcise him for critcising. Its natural element of humans.

Is there any purpose in mocking another religion? Its effects as we found have a negative impact and have result in nothing more than violence. So naturally the quesion arises, is this necessary, is it going to help.

Critcising democracy, writing to the editor etc, all have purpose for somethin to change and generally have a positive or a null impact. Anyone posting negative ideologies are quickly shut off, like communist parties in AUstralia. So in a sense thats why people what mocking of relgions to stop, it only cause problems and has no purpose.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Is there any purpose in mocking another religion? Its effects as we found have a negative impact and have result in nothing more than violence. So naturally the quesion arises, is this necessary, is it going to help.
A part of criticism is artistic criticism, or mocking. While the cartoons are simplistic, childish insults... behind them are more logical arguments against aspects of your religion which we are seeing and disagree with.

davin

HSC
N/A

You missed my point. I don't care about them criticising. From the cartoons, it doesn't seem like its much to be offended over, but if they want to criticise the newspaper, fine by me. Their right to do so.

Again, my issue is with the attitude that freedom of speech should be curtailed so that religions are 'safe', and the attacking of a whole country simply because it supports an environment where people are allowed to freely criticise and mock.
People disagreeing and criticising the paper for running the cartoons, that, while I disagree, I have no objection to. They've a right to complain as well, and make a counter arguement.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

why don't we just stop pussy footing around and start WWIII already. the world population needs a drastic reduction and something to revamp the economy anyways. it'll get rid of unused weapon stockpiles and give everyone a reason to live.

EDIT: or to die

davin

HSC
N/A

cuz nuclear fallout will be problematic and in the first 48 hours my bet is that nukes will get used by Iran, Israel, Pakistan, India, and North Korea if they're quick.

HSC

I think you'll find in any conflict, that the USA will be the first to use nuclear weapons.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

davin said:
cuz nuclear fallout will be problematic and in the first 48 hours my bet is that nukes will get used by Iran, Israel, Pakistan, India, and North Korea if they're quick.
Use clean nukes then.

davin

HSC
N/A

disagree big time on the u.s. being first. the u.s. arsenal is very useful as a deterant to striking the u.s. with a weapon because one would get hammered in return. Hense why the Cold War was what it was.

once the u.s. were to strike, many countries that would like to would use it as a justification.....north korea, iran if they've got anything....it'll open the door. its more useful to have them afraid of the u.s. hitting them back hard than to hit first and then let the u.s. get nuked in return.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

davin said:
yeah no nuclear war, not good for the environment we already fucked the environment hard enough. Lets back gud roman style wars, sheilds and swords eh?

Its better on the environment and it also reduces the population, gives more food to the animals and its heaps of fun.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
A part of criticism is artistic criticism, or mocking. While the cartoons are simplistic, childish insults... behind them are more logical arguments against aspects of your religion which we are seeing and disagree with.
well said NTB

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

from this day forward i am only buying prodycts from denmark.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

i like your cartoon sasha

come everyone , lets all make cartoons ridiculing islamic stupidity and humiliating the prophet!

so we have 2 about muslims loving muhamid more than their family

the next person has to make one about the prophet being a pedophile and having sex with 9yr old girls

davin

HSC
N/A

the next person has to make one about the prophet being a pedophile and having sex with 9yr old girls
implied or explicitly?

Optophobia

HSC

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02022006/140/editor-sacked-muhammad-cartoon.html

EDITOR SACKED OVER CARTOON.

Thursday February 2, 08:47 AM

The editor of a French newspaper that published a cartoon featuring the Prophet Muhammad has been sacked.Newspapers across Europe had republished cartoons first published in a Danish newspaper after the publication was criticised by Muslim countries for carrying the images.Islamic tradition bans depictions of the Prophet or Allah.

France Soir carried its own version of the cartoon on its front page showing Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian holy figures with the caption "Don't worry Muhammad,
ADVERTISEMENT

we've all been caricatures here".

The newspaper later announced its editor had been dismissed.

France Soir owner Raymond Lakah said he "decided to remove Jacques Lefranc as managing director of the publication as a powerful sign of respect for the intimate beliefs and convictions of every individual".

"We express our regrets to the Muslim community and all people who were shocked by the publication."

Denmark's Jyllands-Posten newspaper carried a series of cartoon images of Muhammad earlier this week.

The caricatures showed Muhammad wearing a headdress shaped like a bomb, while another shows him saying that paradise was running short of virgins for suicide bombers.

Muslim countries responded by imposing sanctions against Denmark.

Syria and Saudi Arabia recalled their ambassadors.

The Danish-Swedish dairy giant Arla Foods said its products were being shunned in the Middle East.

Other European newspapers reprinted the images in support of free speech.

Reporters Without Borders said the reaction in the Arab world "betrays a lack of understanding" of press freedom as "an essential accomplishment of democracy."

banco55

HSC

Raymond Lakah (the owner of the newspaper) is an Arab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)