Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper- just some odd points

1) unfortunately according to the US president -- the west is addicted to middle eastern oil....:rofl: i couldnt care less... im in the same boat as you guys if anything happens

2) its only the athiests who try to try to cause divisions in society's muti- faith communities. The (mainstream) theists are always trying to bridge the gap with their messages of peace etc- you may preview the athiest intolerance for any religion right here on BOS!

some of their intolerance is based on irrational thought (one of em believes that some historical figures like Jesus and Muhammad are mythological figures which is absurd lol)

3) i dont think much of the middle east... nor do i even care. But i know for a fact that apart from petroleum products- they export fruits, antiquities , duty free tech and the sale of prime real estate

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

Yesterday, George Bush announced spending of 10 billion dollars to "wean America off Middle-Eastern oil".

banco55

HSC

mr EaZy said:
1) unfortunately according to the US president -- the west is addicted to middle eastern oil....:rofl: i couldnt care less... im in the same boat as you guys if anything happens

2) its only the athiests who try to try to cause divisions in society's muti- faith communities. The (mainstream) theists are always trying to bridge the gap with their messages of peace etc- you may preview the athiest intolerance for any religion right here on BOS!

some of their intolerance is based on irrational thought (one of em believes that some historical figures like Jesus and Muhammad are mythological figures which is absurd lol)

3) i dont think much of the middle east... nor do i even care. But i know for a fact that apart from petroleum products- they export fruits, antiquities , duty free tech and the sale of prime real estate
Apart from oil the arab countries export bugger all. When you take oil out of the equation Israel is by far the best exporter in the middle east. The Arab countries that aren't swimming on a sea of oil are dirt poor. When the oil runs out they'll go just be another poverty stricken shit hole with the exception of Israel which because it is populated mostly by Jews rather than Arabs does well economically.

Egypt gdp per capita: $4400
Syria $3,500
Israel $22 200
Australia: $32,000

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

Israel:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

1) unfortunately according to the US president -- the west is addicted to middle eastern oil.... i couldnt care less... im in the same boat as you guys if anything happens
If the middle east doesn't buy off these countries they lose out also, if they're fine with taking that loss to make a point then ok. However I would recommend to them not to take the whole 'boycott' thing too far otherwise pressure will be applied in other ways in order to get these nations to begin to again buy their products.

- There is indeed atheist intollerance. However as for Atheists 'trying to cause divisions in society's multi-faith communities', I think you'll find that is not true. It is different faiths whom argue against each other the most, create the divisions etc.

- Messages of 'peace' and real peace are two very different things. Basically, talk is cheap.

mr EaZy

HSC

withoutaface said:
But what you fail to realise is that the food company didn't publish the articles, a newspaper owned by someone else did.
Wat food company? and does that even matter? muslim countries and the british supermarket chains in those countries started boycotting any and every danish import... if a soccer team was there they would have been kicked out

its similar to us during WW1 when we boycotted everything German or Austrian

maybe i didnt understand you- can u elaborate?

notthatbright said:
Where will you buy your products from exactly?
me? i get most of my stuff from the supermarkets here in sydney why?

as for the middle easterns- well since the Germans are pretty friendly- im sure theres an aldi somewhere there! well the arabs have their own supermarket chains- just as woolies is australian- they have theirs

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

as for the middle easterns- well since the Germans are pretty friendly- im sure theres an aldi somewhere there! well the arabs have their own supermarket chains- just as woolies is australian- they have theirs
Oh well I thought you were suggesting a boycott of the west, an interesting idea that I'm sure would lead any country into total economic ruin. I mean sure it's quite easy to pick on danish products - a bit of an overreaction considering that it was merely a private company which made these cartoons, but well within their rights as a nation.

HSC

mr EaZy said:

BBC

France Soir, Germany's Die Welt, La Stampa in Italy and El Periodico in Spain all carried some of the drawings, whose original publication in Denmark has led to widespread anger in the Muslim community with protests in several Arab nations, official complaints to the Danish authorities and even death threats aimed at staff of the newspaper.
No, the Germans think you're dickheads too.

mr EaZy

HSC

If the middle east doesn't buy off these countries they lose out also, if they're fine with taking that loss to make a point then ok. However I would recommend to them not to take the whole 'boycott' thing too far otherwise pressure will be applied in other ways in order to get these nations to begin to again buy their products.

- There is indeed atheist intollerance. However as for Atheists 'trying to cause divisions in society's multi-faith communities', I think you'll find that is not true. It is different faiths whom argue against each other the most, create the divisions etc.
-

Messages of 'peace' and real peace are two very different things. Basically, talk is cheap.
Just go to trinidad & tobago or places like C11th spain where we have a thriving of culture and undisputed religious tolerance- i havent read one source disputing this. You have people descriptions of great Muslims Christians and Jews of dozens of nationalities (though most were spanish, african or arab ) all converging on one great civilisation- oddly enough i couldnt find any descriptions of athiests during that time... must have been a good thing- they'd probably stuff it up

oopss- i just did a google search : "Atheist muslim spain" and the first search results were by athiest sources being jeolous of the whole era and again struggling to cause divisions between the faiths. Not that bright- i know you love these websites- but websites aren't really reliable sources of info- thats why at uni- they are sometimes not accepted in essays!

Now look- this whole event is nothing new- if you were to portray jews as backwards or greedy or living in the ghettos or doing circumcision- you would be accused of anti semitism- and rightfully so and the entire european continent is aware of this and fully opposed to any such pictures. lets expand that to include any race or religion so that no one is disrespected

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Just go to trinidad & tobago or places like C11th spain where we have a thriving of culture and undisputed religious tolerance- i havent read one source disputing this. You have people descriptions of great Muslims Christians and Jews of dozens of nationalities (though most were spanish, african or arab ) all converging on one great civilisation- oddly enough i couldnt find any descriptions of athiests during that time... must have been a good thing- they'd probably stuff it up
You've made a pretty radical claim.. that atheists are responsible for religious intollerance (forgetting the thousands of years of wars between different faiths). So I think you better post some sort of a website?

For one thing I can clickly search and come up with http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Which shows that there are a decent number of atheists within spain... so I don't understand your claim. Seems you've just got some sort of unjustified (as of yet) hatred towards atheists.

only the intolerant athiests who wish to divide society and cause all forms of
You continue these claims without backing them up.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

mr EaZy said:
-

oopss- i just did a google search : "Atheist muslim spain" and the first search results were by athiest sources being jeolous of the whole era and again struggling to cause divisions between the faiths. Not that bright- i know you love these websites- but websites aren't really reliable sources of info- thats why at uni- they are sometimes not accepted in essays!

Now look- this whole event is nothing new- if you were to portray jews as backwards or greedy or living in the ghettos or doing circumcision- you would be accused of anti semitism- and rightfully so and the entire european continent is aware of this and fully opposed to any such pictures. lets expand that to include any race or religion so that no one is disrespected
But 11 of the 12 cartoons aren't even portraying muslims as anything. Ignoring the one with a bomb on his head, you guys would still be pissed off, and it's equivalent to drawing Moses or Abraham.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

mr EaZy said:
Nope we can boycott anyone we want and when we want- and you crybabies cant do anything about it!

so you can excercise your freedom of speech and we will excercise our consumer freedom power- having said that - i guess everyone is now happy:wave:
if all the western countries just said fuk you we post what we want, lets see you try boycotting that . those middle eastern countries will crumble quicker then they already are

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

mr EaZy said:
only the intolerant athiests who wish to divide society and cause all forms of :bomb:
who said the cartoonist, are athiests? they could be christian.

davin

HSC
N/A

First of all, there is not historical evidence of the religious elements of either of those figures, second, I know there's no proof of Jesus....Mohommad is prob recent enough that there was at least a 'Mohommad' but a lot said about him is prob still myth.
As for the claim that religion bridges gaps, its just athiests, i pose to you the following:
Crusades
killing of Jews during black plague
Spanish Inquisition
and for more recent:
India/Pakistan (Hindu vs Muslim)
Northern Ireland (Protestant vs Catholic)
Ivory Coast (Muslim vs Christian, i believe)
Israel-Palestine (Jewish vs Muslim)

its similar to us during WW1 when we boycotted everything German or Austrian
not similar at all. Germany was boycotted for what the gov't was doing.

Um, Europe IS anti-semitic. Its been like that for centuries. Nothing new.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

mr EaZy said:
-

You can't put all athiests or agnostics in the same boat, the difference between atheists (or non-religious people) and people who follow organised religion is that they choose not to follow a system and get on with their everyday lives not worrying about or practising a religion because they believe they are not compulsed towards it as they have searched within theirselves and found no need as opposed to a muslim who has been muslim all their life and been fed on believing things are immoral because it is justified in a book that has no reliable source.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC

Personally, the whole thing didn't really upset me. A portrait of Muhammad already exists in the Supreme Court of the US. Rehnquist said that the image of Muhammad is there not for purpose of idolatry but to recognize that he was an important figure in the history of law. If Muhammad can be an important figure, we’re going to have to live with him being a figure of rancor.

Moreover, Islam is not the only religion which has been subject to the western mockery of religion. Jesus in urine. Mary in manure. People argue that this is different because its the prophet and images of him are forbidden in Islam. I have to ask: how is depicting Muhammad as a comic figure different than soaking the image of Christ into urine? Which is a greater violation? Did Muslims around the world stand up against the Piss Christ? Can’t remember? That’s because the answer is no. Most Muslims probably didn’t even know of the Mary painting until now. Yet, isn’t there a Surah in the Quran with her name?

Btw, how the hell did Palestinians get Danish flags in Gaza? The Israeli army really needs to do something about these smuggler boats.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Sweets said:
Personally, the whole thing didn't really upset me. A portrait of Muhammad already exists in the Supreme Court of the US. Rehnquist said that the image of Muhammad is there not for purpose of idolatry but to recognize that he was an important figure in the history of law. If Muhammad can be an important figure, we’re going to have to live with him being a figure of rancor.

Moreover, Islam is not the only religion which has been subject to the western mockery of religion. Jesus in urine. Mary in manure. People argue that this is different because its the prophet and images of him are forbidden in Islam. I have to ask: how is depicting Muhammad as a comic figure different than soaking the image of Christ into urine? Which is a greater violation? Did Muslims around the world stand up against the Piss Christ? Can’t remember? That’s because the answer is no. Most Muslims probably didn’t even know of the Mary painting until now. Yet, isn’t there a Surah in the Quran with her name?

Btw, how the hell did Palestinians get Danish flags in Gaza? The Israeli army really needs to do something about these smuggler boats.
Perhaps they produced them themselves? The danish flag is really quite easy to reproduce.

davin

HSC
N/A

apparently, some of the cartoons gettign the complaints had been ran before, as well, with no criticism first time through. wikipedia says that part of issue was 3 additional cartoons, with mohommad as a pedophile, with a pig nose, and with a muslim worshipper praying while.....violated by a dog were also shown in some countries with the claim taht those were published as well.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Sweets said:
I'm sure they must have been shopping at Ye Olde Flag Burning Shoppe in downtown Gaza to get their hands on the Dannebrog and many other Western flags.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

davin said:
apparently, some of the cartoons gettign the complaints had been ran before, as well, with no criticism first time through. wikipedia says that part of issue was 3 additional cartoons, with mohommad as a pedophile, with a pig nose, and with a muslim worshipper praying while.....violated by a dog were also shown in some countries with the claim taht those were published as well.
But muhummad IS a paedophile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)