Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

Well, I don't know about the Muslims but I'm off to the deli to buy a huge assortment of Danish cheese, alcohol and pork products. Really I think its pointless Muslims boycotting Danish produce as the vast majority of it is pork products, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC

1) the article on the front cover is not a reliable source to look up when reporting this incident

2) the boycotts against danish products in the middle east have already caused losses of over $55 million in revenue to the danes. British supermarket chains in the region have boycotted the products - not the people ( who would have boycotted them anyways)

Serves 'em right! i bet theres more to come

So ihavenothing- you've got a lot of danish cheese, pork and wine to consume:bomb:

3) the article's reportage of a muslim portraying a semi nude nun was just a cheap comeback at this incident and just shows that its driven by emotions rather than intellect. Mary is sacred to both muslims and christians- and it is not our policy to draw stupid pictures of anybody- that muslim is obviously not a practicing one- definately not a fundamentalist and therefore completely irrelevant.

4) we will keep on complaining and excercising our right to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not include defamation.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Satire is not defamation.

banco55

HSC

mr EaZy said:
1) the article on the front cover is not a reliable source to look up when reporting this incident

2) the boycotts against danish products in the middle east have already caused losses of over $55 million in revenue to the danes. British supermarket chains in the region have boycotted the products - not the people ( who would have boycotted them anyways)

So ihavenothing- you've got a lot of danish cheese, pork and wine to consume:bomb:

3) the article's reportage of a muslim portraying a semi nude nun was just a cheap comeback at this incident and just shows that its driven by emotions rather than intellect. Mary is sacred to both muslims and christians- and it is not our policy to draw stupid pictures of anybody- that muslim is obviously not a practicing one- definately not a fundamentalist and therefore completely irrelevant.

4) we will keep on complaining and excercising our right to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not include defamation.
You need to start hitting your law books. Try bringing a defamation action against someone for defaming a historical figure.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

banco55 said:
You need to start hitting your law books. Try bringing a defamation action against someone for defaming a historical figure.
correction, fictional or at best mythological character

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Muhummad was most likely real, but he was also not God's prophet.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Newspapers in several European countries waded into an inter-religious row today when they reprinted caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad to show support for a Danish paper whose original publication of the cartoons sparked Muslim outrage, reports the BBC.

France Soir, Germany's Die Welt, La Stampa in Italy and El Periodico in Spain all carried some of the drawings, whose original publication in Denmark has led to widespread anger in the Muslim community with protests in several Arab nations, official complaints to the Danish authorities and even death threats aimed at staff of the newspaper.

The response is because traditional Islamic values prohibit any representations of their most sacred prophet, whereas the media are fiercely defensive about their rights to freedom of speech. They argue there is a right to blaspheme in the West, and asked whether Islam was capable of coping with satire.

France Soir said it had reprinted the full set to show that "religious dogma" had no place in a secular society.

Under the headline "Yes, we have the right to caricature God", the daily carried a front-page cartoon of Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian gods floating on a cloud. It showed the Christian deity saying: "Don't complain, Muhammad, we've all been caricatured here."

Responding to France Soir's move, the French government said it supported press freedom - but added that beliefs and religions must be respected. French muslim groups condemned the pictures, describing the paper's actions as "real provocation towards the millions of Muslims living in France".

The Danish newspaper at the centre of the story ran an apology yesterday, but there are few signs this diplomatic row will quieten down anytime soon.

i wanna see that cartoon. anyone seen it? the one depicting all the religions

davin

HSC
N/A

Free speech is free. Period. You don't get to say "well, this might hurt someone's feelings, so thats not allowed"

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

mr EaZy said:

Just because this was published in ONE newspaper in Denmark doesnt mean that people in Islamic countries should foolishly boycott everything from the whole country (including neighboring ones).

HSC

Cartoon Prophet Row Deepens

Newspapers in several European countries waded into an inter-religious row today when they reprinted caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad to show support for a Danish paper whose original publication of the cartoons sparked Muslim outrage, reports the BBC.

France Soir, Germany's Die Welt, La Stampa in Italy and El Periodico in Spain all carried some of the drawings, whose original publication in Denmark has led to widespread anger in the Muslim community with protests in several Arab nations, official complaints to the Danish authorities and even death threats aimed at staff of the newspaper.

The response is because traditional Islamic values prohibit any representations of their most sacred prophet, whereas the media are fiercely defensive about their rights to freedom of speech. They argue there is a right to blaspheme in the West, and asked whether Islam was capable of coping with satire.

France Soir said it had reprinted the full set to show that "religious dogma" had no place in a secular society.

Under the headline "Yes, we have the right to caricature God", the daily carried a front-page cartoon of Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian gods floating on a cloud. It showed the Christian deity saying: "Don't complain, Muhammad, we've all been caricatured here."

Responding to France Soir's move, the French government said it supported press freedom - but added that beliefs and religions must be respected. French muslim groups condemned the pictures, describing the paper's actions as "real provocation towards the millions of Muslims living in France".

The Danish newspaper at the centre of the story ran an apology yesterday, but there are few signs this diplomatic row will quieten down anytime soon.

Shoutwire
Good on them.

davin

HSC
N/A

And, for the first time ever, I agree with France

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

To the people trying to limit free speech (including satire/humour)...

Sticks and stones

You should have learned about it a long time ago and understand that if there is no physical force involved they should just ignore it and learn that you may say anything to anyone but they don't have to accept it or believe it.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

yeh i think if all the civilized, free speech countries re printed this cartoons, then the islamic crybabies cant just boycott everyone and will realise that its stupid to blow steam because of a cartoon.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC

SashatheMan said:
yeh i think if all the civilized, free speech countries re printed this cartoons, then the islamic crybabies cant just boycott everyone and will realise that its stupid to blow steam because of a cartoon.

Nope we can boycott anyone we want and when we want- and you crybabies cant do anything about it!

so you can excercise your freedom of speech and we will excercise our consumer freedom power- having said that - i guess everyone is now happy:wave:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

mr EaZy said:
Nope we can boycott anyone we want and when we want- and you crybabies cant do anything about it!

so you can excercise your freedom of speech and we will excercise our consumer freedom power- having said that - i guess everyone is now happy:wave:
But what you fail to realise is that the food company didn't publish the articles, a newspaper owned by someone else did.

Riewe

HSC

I look at this issue in two ways.

On one hand, i can only sit back and laugh that the muslims are getting their knickers in a twist about this whole thing. I just hope the bomb blows up while they are making it so it can rid the world of their stupidity. Darwinism should be at work here.

But then again, doing something like this would be knowingly asking for this type of reaction. Any smart person would realise that these people would react in an unintelligable manner, and therefore should be ready for the actions that they will take. This is the reason i don't go up the road and tell all the druggo/pension-career what i really think about them because i know they would gang up on me in vast numbers (there is such a large group of them) and i would be lucky to survive.

It would've probably been better not to have done this, not because of the "disrespect" issue (i couldn't care less about that), but because of the backlash it will cause.

Riewe

HSC

Unfortunately, while they could probably boycott products successfully, us western countries couldn't really boycott them, because besides oil, there is ... well, nothing i can think of. Except sand, but i can get that anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)