Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

kiteblood

HSC
Muslims are the Tom Cruise of the religious world; you make fun of Tom Cruise, he sues you. You make fun of Muslims, they burn down your fucking embassy.

Just because radical Muslims fail to grasp the concept of political satire in the context of free speech, doesn't mean they can expect the rest of the world to abandon all its democratic rights. Islam can't remain in its archaic bubble, in which it is apparently free of any form of criticism or opposition. All of this because of religious 'sensitivity'? Right. Call a fucking whambulance.

FYI: I've only skimmed over the replies here.

Also I am talking about radical Muslims specifically, not condemning the whole of Islam, before anyone flies off the handle.

Last edited:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
kiteblood said:
Muslims are the Tom Cruise of the religious world; you make fun of Tom Cruise, he sues you. You make fun of Muslims, they burn down your fucking embassy.

Just because radical Muslims fail to grasp the concept of political satire in the context of free speech, doesn't mean they can expect the rest of the world to abandon all its democratic rights. Islam can't remain in its archaic bubble, in which it is apparently free of any form of criticism or opposition. All of this because of religious 'sensitivity'? Right. Call a fucking whambulance.

Also I am talking about radical Muslims specifically, not condemning the whole of Islam, before anyone flies off the handle.
Can you please qualify your statements by providing a definition of RADICAL MUSLIMS ?

Mongke

HSC
kiteblood said:

well then take a leaf out of your own book and get over it! ALL religions have extremists so why dont you just get used to the fact that Islam is the flavor of the month and stop bleating on about how Muslims cant take a joke! enough all ready!

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
Mongke said:
well then take a leaf out of your own book and get over it! ALL religions have extremists so why dont you just get used to the fact that Islam is the flavor of the month and stop bleating on about how Muslims cant take a joke! enough all ready!
the difference being that they're attacking people because of cartoons and trying to stop freedom of speech, which then becomes an issue for everyone.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
zahid said:
Can you please qualify your statements by providing a definition of RADICAL MUSLIMS ?
The ones who are burning down embassies and execute terrorist attacks is the general definition. The ones who give the rest of Islam a very bad name.

I_F

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Mongke said:
as stated, its because the reaction is extreme.

She wasnt saying that islam is the only religion to have extremists.

Generator

HSC
N/A
This is just a general statement - If you are willing to take the time to create a post here on BOS asking after something in particular, then surely you have the time to try a quick Google search in order to try and find what it is that you would like to see.

Last edited:

kiteblood

HSC
zahid said:
insert-username said:
The ones who are burning down embassies and execute terrorist attacks is the general definition. The ones who give the rest of Islam a very bad name.
Yes, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was kind of obvious.
Mongke said:
That doesn't even make sense. Me briefly stating my opinion in an internet forum vs. angry Muslims violently attacking foreign embassies? Great logic.

Of course all religions have extremists, but this thread isn't about all religions, it's about Islam.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/4599/Danish_Paper_Rejected_Jesus_Cartoons_Prints_Mohammed_Pictures_Instead

Danish paper rejected Jesus cartoons

Gwladys Fouché
Monday February 6, 2006

Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have caused a storm of protest throughout the Islamic world, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today.
The Danish daily turned down the cartoons of Christ three years ago, on the grounds that they could be offensive to readers and were not funny.

In April 2003, Danish illustrator Christoffer Zieler submitted a series of unsolicited cartoons dealing with the resurrection of Christ to Jyllands-Posten.

Zieler received an email back from the paper's Sunday editor, Jens Kaiser, which said: "I don't think Jyllands-Posten's readers will enjoy the drawings. As a matter of fact, I think that they will provoke an outcry. Therefore, I will not use them."
The illustrator said: "I see the cartoons as an innocent joke, of the type that my Christian grandfather would enjoy."

"I showed them to a few pastors and they thought they were funny."

But the Jyllands-Posten editor in question, Mr Kaiser, said that the case was "ridiculous to bring forward now. It has nothing to do with the Muhammad cartoons.

"In the Muhammad drawings case, we asked the illustrators to do it. I did not ask for these cartoons. That's the difference," he said.

"The illustrator thought his cartoons were funny. I did not think so. It would offend some readers, not much but some."

The decision smacks of "double-standards", said Ahmed Akkari, spokesman for the Danish-based European Committee for Prophet Honouring, the umbrella group that represents 27 Muslim organisations that are campaigning for a full apology from Jyllands-Posten.

"How can Jyllands-Posten distinguish the two cases? Surely they must understand," Mr Akkari added.

Meanwhile, the editor of a Malaysian newspaper resigned over the weekend after printing one of the Muhammad cartoons that have unleashed a storm of protest across the Islamic world.

Malaysia's Sunday Tribune, based in the remote state of Sarawak, on Borneo island, ran one of the Danish cartoons on Saturday. It is unclear which one of the 12 drawings was reprinted.

Printed on page 12 of the paper, the cartoon illustrated an article about the lack of impact of the controversy in Malaysia, a country with a majority Muslim population.

The newspaper apologised and expressed "profound regret over the unauthorised publication", in a front page statement on Sunday.

"Our internal inquiry revealed that the editor on duty, who was responsible for the same publication, had done it all alone by himself without authority in compliance with the prescribed procedures as required for such news," the statement said.

The editor, who has not been named, regretted his mistake, apologised and tendered his resignation, according to the statement.

Generator

HSC
N/A

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Freedom of speech is important, but this freedom comes with responsibilities.

Alot of people are mixing up freedom of speech with saying whatever you want whenever you want. Thats wrong, this freedom has its boundaries

In Australia you can get arrested for swearing in public as it is seen us verbal abuse

In Australia you can get arrested for inciting hate and violence which can result to terrorism

Newspapers can also be taken to court for defamation.

so as you can see free speech has its boundaries

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
You're a little late... Not only is the article almost a week old, but it (or one discussing the same point of interest) has been posted before. There's really no need for the one article to be posted more than once, let alone 3, 4 or 5 times.
really?

sorry then. I just cant be bothered going through all those pages

7th Sign

HSC
probly just made it up as a joke..

just liek if some one made fun of your mother or something just as a JOKE...

Muslims take shit too seriously..

maby when a muslim person rapes a aussie chic we should go protest and burn muslim flags and shit? throw rocks at mosques...:| :|

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Jordan.J said:
In Australia you can get arrested for swearing in public as it is seen us verbal abuse
You should be able to swear in public.
In Australia you can get arrested for inciting hate and violence which can result to terrorism

Newspapers can also be taken to court for defamation.
These both have effects which infringe on someone's freedom as a direct result of them happening, and this effect goes beyond mere offense. In the former case it results in physical harm and property damage, in the latter it results in loss of income.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
probly just made it up as a joke..

just liek if some one made fun of your mother or something just as a JOKE...

Muslims take shit too seriously..

maby when a muslim person rapes a aussie chic we should go protest and burn muslim flags and shit? throw rocks at mosques...:| :|
But it wasnt funny.

The reactions to these cartoons are disgusting. Im very upset how people reacted and I think that the reactions are a worse depiction of Islam than the cartoons themselves. But I dont think people should be defending the cartoons

Im not upset that the prophet was depicted, im upset of HOW he was depicted.
Being made fun of is one thing, but being called a terrorist who is a cold blooded killer and doesnt care if he kills women or children is a completely different thing.

They make fun of Muslims on T.V and I dont like that, but the difference with these cartoons is that they're calling me a terrorist.
How many times have you been called a cold blooded killer?

Alot of people are saying just get over it, well thats what we've been trying to do since 9/11 because thats where the problem started, but the thing is the problem just keeps getting worse when we ignore it
A recent survey of yr 10/11 kids in Victoria showed that most thought that muslims were terrorists, now where do you think they get this idea from?
The media is powerful, and kids are very impressionable so letting the younger generation think that Muslims are terrorists will have major effects in the future when they're adults.

My dad went on a trip last year to the U.S, and the whole way there he got some dirty looks from passengers, what do you think they were thinking?

My final point is surely no one here thinks that calling any paticular group cold blooded killers is a good thing, it is wrong. So to stop this wrong from occuring isn't it a good thing? Im not talking about showing your opposition with violent protests, im talking about showing your discomfort in a civilised manner. Because if we allow children to grow up seeing muslims depicted this way then it will have major effects in the future.

Communication is the key, and this whole thing happend because of tha lack of communication

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
You should be able to swear in public.
But the point is you cant

withoutaface said:
These both have effects which infringe on someone's freedom as a direct result of them happening, and this effect goes beyond mere offense. In the former case it results in physical harm and property damage, in the latter it results in loss of income.
and surely calling depicting 1/5th of the worlds population as terrorists has its effects

davin

HSC
N/A
Im not upset that the prophet was depicted, im upset of HOW he was depicted.
Being made fun of is one thing, but being called a terrorist who is a cold blooded killer and doesnt care if he kills women or children is a completely different thing.
and you object to all 12? please explain how each of those 12 calls all muslims terrorists

A recent survey of yr 10/11 kids in Victoria showed that most thought that muslims were terrorists, now where do you think they get this idea from?
if the protests are because muslims don't want to be viewed as terrorists, shouldn't they protest WHY Islam and terrorism are viewed as linked? People don't think they're terrorists because of cartoons. Or the media. Its becase OF 9/11, and Bali, and the train bombings in spain, the subway bombings in London, and numorous other events. Where are the protests of Muslims that don't like being linked to terrorism by other Muslims commiting numerous acts of terrorism?

and surely calling depicting 1/5th of the worlds population as terrorists has its effects
first of all, explain how it called 1/5th of the world terrorists...second of all, what effects does that have? how is that causing someone physical harm, loss of property, or loss of income? and why not then take it to court, as one would in any of those cases?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)