National Studies HISTORIOGRAPHY (1 Viewer)

Kezalicious

HSC
"The fight for the minds of youth starts in the cradle." -Hitler Youth
Stephen Roberts professor of History at the University of Sydney

"Japan sought to gain Southeast Asia's resources and the United States sought to protects its access to them." -Conflict in the Pacific

Historian David Shannon saw the roots of conflice though econmic rivalry

I see no reason for quotes to be long, plus I retain knowledge a short time haha.

bjtrim2

HSC
Re: Germany Historiography- not asking, giving.

You...are...god!

-pari-

HSC
N/A

i thought historiography referred to historians opinions of the events....
not direct quotes from ppl of the time?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

-pari- said:
i thought historiography referred to historians opinions of the events....
not direct quotes from ppl of the time?

Direct quotes from people can be used as a support for your argument and therefore the term historiography, although technically probably incorrect isn't totally inappropriate. Then again as the definition of historiography is 'the body of literature dealing with historical matters' it is possible to argue that direct quotes from people from the time qualify as part of the 'body of literature'.

Maybe the heading should be quotes to use in your essays rather than historiography. Either way this list is excellent and I will be directing my students here tomorrow so they will have this list.

As an HSC marker I would suggest that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth over the terminology being used.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Any quotes about the Russian revolution, and Leon Trotsky?

nicole21290

HSC

Thankyou very much for this - it is extremely helpful.

Delta One

HSC
Re: makin up historians??

*************STUPID STUPID STUPID*********************

VERY BAD IDEA, the teachers/ markers, know the historians relating to the topic and know what they say, If u make up a qote using stressman, the marker will be like "ah he doesnt say that in fact he supports blah blah balh...this person doesnt know what they r talking about 5/20"

williamc

HSC

Yes i do it, i have a vague idea on what values/ideas that certain historian stands for and then put a quote in my essay, and a do a few legit ones aswell works a treat(in exams). Although, i will actually get some more legit quotes for my HSC.

-pari-

HSC
N/A

uhhh if you mean completely making up historians - as is off the top of your head - dn't.

you either know them or you don't. teachers are NOT stupid - do realise that history teachers ARE historians themselves - especially hsc markers. they've know whats out there, they have a good idea of which historians exist which don't.

better to make a strong argument w/o a historian at all, than make one up and automatically disgrace yourself and your work.

but it's not a bad idea to know a few historians and their ideas and just kinda rewrite it in your own words - no need to memorise word for word...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

As an HSC marker I will tell you now - don't make up historians.

If we are reading something and a 'new' historian is mentioned the first thing we will do is ask the other markers at our table if any of them have heard of this historian.

If no one has then we will certainly consider the probability of the student 'making up' an historian.

Stick to the tried and true names and don't worry about quoting. Knowing the actual ideas, points of view, of the historian is enough.

You can get full marks in Modern without mentioning by name any historian at all - if your work is argued properly then you will be able to show you knowledge and the research you have done from the different schools/perspectives etc by discussing those ideas without even mentioning the historians by name.

I have given full marks on more than one occasion to students who have not mentioned any historian by name.

What is worse is when students simply name historians without making them relevant to the argument being made. Those sorts of things really just get ignored - in other words if naming the historian and using their ideas directly isn't necessary for your argument don't waste you time.

You need to know the ideas and arguments of a few historians to support the argument you are making and that is all - e.g. if you want to argue that Hitler was totally responsible for WWII then naming the historians who say that is not a bad idea but you would need to counter that with the historians who oppose it - you can generalise though and say that 'historians argue about the degree of responsiblity that Hitler had with some saying he was totally responsible, while others apportion some of the blame elsewhere'. That would show the markers that you are aware of the arguments without having to 'make-up' historians or their quotes.

Remember that the markers are aware that these essays are a first draft essay, under exam conditions and done in 45 minutes. These are not research essays that you have weeks or even months to prepare.

williamc

HSC

cem could you shed some light on how much we should be writing for each section in order to attain high marks.

ellen.louise

HSC

nwatts said:
Ah, no.

The marker who marks your essay will have taught the elective, and will be familiar with the historians who've made comments surrounding the issues and events you've studied. And everything is double marked, so if one marker misses it, another would probably pick it up.

Also if you use fabricated historians to make wild claims, "hence Hitler was a woman" (McSmithens), you'll find yourself with a mark reflective of your research.

Very true. There is nothing a marker hates more than a student trying to get around them this way. If they catch you at it (very likely) you gonna get a bad mark because they are going to KNOW you haven't done the research or the study. Sure, if you can't remember a quote properly, write what you think it was: they'll understand. But when you go around making up shit during the exam...

you'd be much better off just memorising the names of historians and quotes. You've got months until HSC exams: thus plenty of time to memorise details.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

williamc said:
cem could you shed some light on how much we should be writing for each section in order to attain high marks.

Point one - the quality is more important than the quantity but... if you aren't sure a good guide is:

WWI - you can get full marks using only the given pages but most of the top responses will write an extra page or so for each of the 10 mark questions.

Personalities - top marks needs about 4 pages for the describe section and about 6 for the second section

Essays (both National and Internationa Studies) you should be looking at 8 - 10 pages

The pages sizes I am referring to here are exam booklet pages remember.

These are a guide only and are assuming average size handwriting.

bashbousha

HSC
Re: Russia: Some Historiography and sources for you to quote from

Hey

Thanks a million. Really helps.

P.S. I hate modern :mad1:

HSC

Thanks VERY MUCH,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

revhead.meg

HSC

thanks soo much!!

revhead.meg

HSC

miss_ripcurlgir said:
I would strongly discourage it, ur response would sound better with the familiar historians (eg. Taylor, Kershaw, Bullock etc) in it and would sound like u know ur work a lot better ... but thats my historical opinion anyways!
how bout if you use a famous historians name but make up the actual quote, would you possible get away with it?

revhead.meg

HSC

revhead.meg said:
how bout if you use a famous historians name but make up the actual quote, would you possible get away with it?
ok ignore my last post lol i just read a reply that already answered my question lol
my bad guys

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A

-pari- said:
uhhh if you mean completely making up historians - as is off the top of your head - dn't.

you either know them or you don't. teachers are NOT stupid - do realise that history teachers ARE historians themselves - especially hsc markers. they've know whats out there, they have a good idea of which historians exist which don't.

better to make a strong argument w/o a historian at all, than make one up and automatically disgrace yourself and your work.

but it's not a bad idea to know a few historians and their ideas and just kinda rewrite it in your own words - no need to memorise word for word...
All my historiography consisted of fake historians. You should have seen my argument for the second Leni Riefenstahl question in last years paper. And yes, i did get a good mark, although i wasn't really satisfied. Hence, i still hold to the belief that HSC markers are stupid or either lazy. generalizations FTW - fuck off if you don't agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)