New Students: What to do after receiving your offer (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Firstly, congratulations on receiving an offer to study at Macquarie, it’s an awesome university and the Ubar is just fantastic, so rest assured you really have made a good choice.

The process of independent degree planning starts right here, right now…

1. You must accept your offer within 7 days of the offer being made. Accept your offer by clicking the link, following the prompts and following ‘Step 1’: http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/ If you are applying for HECS- HELP this can be completed as part of accepting your offer in eStudent. You will see a step (Step B) 'Submit Commonwealth Assistance Form' which is HECS-HELP.

2. You can now move on to ‘Step 2’, ‘Compulsory On-Campus Enrolment and Academic Advice'. Following the prompts, register for a time and day to go on campus for enrolment and academic advice. Pretty much what happens is that you go in and have your ‘proposed program of study’ (the units you plan to take in your first year) checked over by an academic adviser (to make sure you’re not taking anything you’re not supposed to) and then you will be taken to a computer lab where someone will help you actually enrol into the units and class times that you picked.

3. While you can pick all of your units and class times on the day, it’s much easier if you do this now: Firstly, to pick your units you need to look up your degree requirements in the handbook, find your degree in the lists in this link http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/DegreesDiplomas/UGDegrees

Most first year students will take all 100 level units in their first year. This is because most, by nature of being first year students, don't meet the prerequisites required to do higher level units. However (and this important) you may take any unit you want, so long as you meet the pre-requisites for that unit and it fits within your degree requirements. Some students are able to take 200 level units from their first semester as they meet the prerequisite 'admission to .... (degree)'. Some will be able to take 200 level units in their second semester, having completed the prerequisites for these units in their first semester. The main thing here is to pay attention to your degree requirements and prerequisites of units you plan to take.

A normal workload is 4 units a semester, however there is nothing wrong with doing less than this (though at least 3 units per semester are required to be considered a full time student). So what you want to do is pick out 8 (or less) units that you meet the prerequisites of; 4 (or less) that run in semester 1 and 4 (or less) that run in semester 2. You can see if a unit runs in semester 1 or semester 2 by clicking on the unit code and looking at 'When offered'. For example ACST101 says 'D1 - Day; Offered in Session 1, North Ryde', so it's offered in semester 1. When you have picked these, write them down on your ‘Proposed Program of Study’ form, which you will take with you to Compulsory On-Campus Enrolment to be checked over by an academic adviser. Note that ‘session 1’ and ‘session 2’ simply refer to semesters 1 and 2. You can find the form here:http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/new/advice/pdf/Proposed Program Form.pdf

4. Once you have picked your units, go to the timetable site to choose your preferred lecture and tutorial times: https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2013/

Here you simply enter the code of your unit and click search, enter the study session (semester 1 or 2) enter the time (for you just say 'all week') and the type of format you want the timetable (i think 'calendar' is easiest to understand). Then you can see the times of the lectures and tutorials and pick your preferred times. Since the timetable maker only lets you do one unit at a time it can be a good idea to have excel open or something to note down your preferred times as you go through each unit. Once you are happy with your choices, write them down on this form to take in to Compulsory On-Campus Enrollment, this way the actual enrolling process should be quick and easy on the day. http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/Your Timetable.pdf

NOTE: The people who made the timetable this year (2013) fucked up big time and forgot to put in the teaching structure (ie. whether you need to pick one lecture and one tutorial, or two lectures and a prac etc.). Without this it is extremely difficult to make your timetable, as you don't know what the hell you're supposed to be taking. Myself and others have brought this to the attention of MQ admin and hopefully it will be sorted soon. Till then, just do your best at trying to figure the beast out and get a feel for which lecture/tute/prac times might work for you

5. Attend your Compulsory On-Campus Enrollment day! Bring your ‘Proposed Program of Study’ and ‘Timetable’ forms with you. Remember, even if you made a mistake on them, they will still be checked by an academic adviser so there is no need to worry about not having the details 100% correct. There will be plenty of signs and people showing you where you need to be, if you’re confused, just ask someone! You’ll probably see a lot of people looking at a big book and at a couple of pieces of paper, looking confused. These are the people that didn’t fill in their ‘Proposed Program of Study’ and ‘Timetable’ forms ahead of time and are now forced to use the handbook in book form, which is incredibly confusing. They will be there for a while, feel better knowing your enrollment will go much faster and more smoothly than theirs .

6. You can now start thinking about Academic Orientation day, you can find more info about this by following this link and clicking ‘step 3’ http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/undergrad.htm#step3. By following the ‘steps’ you will also find out how to collect your concession card, campus card, pay your fees etc.

7. One final note on textbooks before you begin semester. You can find the textbooks required for your units by following this link, http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop/action/DataSubjSelect selecting ‘Macquarie University 2013 Session 1' and entering a relevant unit code. Textbooks are often very expensive, cheaper alternatives to the Co-op book shop often include
www.textbookexchange.com.au (for second hand text books- you will have to make an account to search)
http://booko.com.au/ (for new and used price comparisons)
If it gets to the point where semester is a few days away and you still haven't bought your textbooks i would buy them online from the Co-op; they have free and fast delivery which will save you having to line up for hours.
Note that if you plan to buy from a website, you should do it several weeks before semester begins so that you receive them in time.

Last edited:

Salliea

HSC
Re: New Students 2012: What to do after receiving your offer

Now THIS is great :hug2: Thanks so much :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Fantastic thread. :)

Already stickied. Somebody beat me to it.

Last edited:

Fake-Name

HSC

Thankyou once again May Cat!

Atlas

HSC
N/A

This is amazing, are you a mentor?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

^ Was for a couple of years, don't have time to commit to it now that my degree has picked up pace and i'm working too much. Awesome program though, everyone should do it at least once during their time at uni.

Atlas

HSC
N/A

^ Was for a couple of years, don't have time to commit to it now that my degree has picked up pace and i'm working too much. Awesome program though, everyone should do it at least once during their time at uni.
Indeed, +1

Kittenslayer

HSC

im doing ebusiness , theres 7 three credit subjects to choose from in the 100 level (also one says either (subject) or (subject) )
how many of them do i pick for semester 1

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

im doing ebusiness , theres 7 three credit subjects to choose from in the 100 level (also one says either (subject) or (subject) )
how many of them do i pick for semester 1
Most students will take 4 units per semester, but you can do less if you want to. So, you could do say:

Sem 1:
- COMP115
- ISYS104
- ISYS114
- BBA111

Sem 2:
- COMP125
- ACCG106
- COMP247
- COMP249

Note that i included 200 level units in second semester because you completed the pre-requisites for these units in first semester. This is just one way you could do it, if you wanted to you could take some electives instead (so long as you met their pre-requisites), or pick a different option for the 'either, or' requirement.

Kittenslayer

HSC

at the bottom of the proposed program sheet it says ">14 cr points for sesion 1"
and the same for session 2
does that mean i need 5 subjects for each semester? :S

FTW

HSC

at the bottom of the proposed program sheet it says ">14 cr points for sesion 1"
and the same for session 2
does that mean i need 5 subjects for each semester? :S
No this needs to be signed only if you are doing 5 subject (worth 3 credit points each) or more. To make sure people don't do too many units and overwork themselves.

Kittenslayer

HSC

so 3 subjects per semester would be ok?
and is 4 subjects per semester alota work load?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Three units a semester is fine, i only do three myself as i don't deal with stress particularly well and don't feel i would be able to maintain my grades with four a semester. That's just me though, four units a semester is perfectly doable.

LonelyWolf

HSC

Do we have to do ONE lecture and ONE tutorial each week?

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC

I've accepted my offer and sent in a deferment form. Do I need to enrol officially or something? I dunno. It just feels like I'm missing something.

Salliea

HSC

onur91

HSC
N/A

Do we have to do ONE lecture and ONE tutorial each week?
Depends on the unit.
Some units have 2 lectures per week. Some unit don't have tutorials. Some unit have a lecture, tutorial AND a practical.
Read through the unit guide, and it should state the amount of classes per week.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC

You just finished Step One :)
Now go to - http://www.student.mq.edu.au/enrol/undergrad.htm#step2

To enroll "officially", you have to go onto the campus on a given date and a chosen time - https://secure.mq.edu.au/enrolment/register
What do I do if I;m not in the country?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.

Edit again: It's asking for units I've enrolled in but I'm not meant to enrol in units if I want to defer? Ahh

Edit again again: I've just read the derferring page and it says to accept online then submit the form. That's all. Hm.

Last edited:

Kittenslayer

HSC

what date does session 1 end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)